The Complete N00B's Guide to Brawl Hacking

Started by tjmsrubegoldberg, July 30, 2010, 06:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Diddy Kong on April 02, 2014, 10:21:04 PM
you are failing to compress your texture import at import and you flood the wii's RAM and thats when it freezes, with CSPs, you have like around just under 2MB to be safe withand by failing to index them first and lazily plop stuff in, your one import floods over 2MB and makes the game use more RAM than the wii has, this is when it freezes



Answer: please save your images as indexed color PNG or use CMPR format (this is that RGB dropdown in brawlbox when you click replace, then open a file)
when you say "index" do you mean the format? As in c18 or rgb5a3 or i8? I always save them in c18 format since that's what the original was formatted to. Is that ok? And how would I compress the file? Do you mean the common5.pac file? If so, it says that brawlbox auto compresses it every time I save.

@Jade_Rock
Could you send me a link to the forum you're talking about? I looked and found a lot of them, so I don't know which one to choose.

Quote from: ShadowX on April 02, 2014, 10:53:16 PM
when you say "index" do you mean the format? As in c18 or rgb5a3 or i8? I always save them in c18 format since that's what the original was formatted to. Is that ok? And how would I compress the file? Do you mean the common5.pac file? If so, it says that brawlbox auto compresses it every time I save.

@Jade_Rock
Could you send me a link to the forum you're talking about? I looked and found a lot of them, so I don't know which one to choose.
no,  format CMPR is the like CL btw, CMPR is SMALLER than CL8by 80%ish

compress, your PNG file can be up to 80% smaller

the following belie is what i mean (ONE ONE OR THE OTHER ONLY)

[spoiler]


OR, NOT AND

(smaller = BETTER) notice how the CL8 is 21 KB, but the CMPR one is only 10 KB?


Quote from: Diddy Kong on April 02, 2014, 11:56:34 PM
no,  format CMPR is the like CL btw, CMPR is SMALLER than CL8by 80%ish

compress, your PNG file can be up to 80% smaller

the following belie is what i mean (ONE ONE OR THE OTHER ONLY)

[spoiler]


OR, NOT AND

(smaller = BETTER) notice how the CL8 is 21 KB, but the CMPR one is only 10 KB?


Oh! Ok! I think I get it now. So correct me if I'm wrong: I can either put the CSP in Photoshop and set it to Index Color Mode or when putting it into the common5.pac file, I set the format to CMPR? Is that right?

Quote from: ShadowX on April 03, 2014, 02:05:24 AM
Oh! Ok! I think I get it now. So correct me if I'm wrong: I can either put the CSP in Photoshop and set it to Index Color Mode or when putting it into the common5.pac file, I set the format to CMPR? Is that right?
yes

Quote from: Diddy Kong on April 03, 2014, 03:14:20 AM
yes
Alright. So doing this should:
a) stop the freezing permanently (unless it's a hack that I have that's freezing the game)?
b) allow the CSP's to actually show up?

Quote from: ShadowX on April 03, 2014, 03:42:31 AM
Alright. So doing this should:
a) stop the freezing permanently (unless it's a hack that I have that's freezing the game)?
b) allow the CSP's to actually show up?
yup

April 03, 2014, 05:35:22 AM #636 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:05:10 AM by ShadowX
Quote from: Diddy Kong on April 03, 2014, 04:48:37 AM
yup

Wow. And to think that that's all it took... Alright, I'll try it out within the next few days and report back if there's anymore problems. Thanks for all your help!

Post Merge: April 05, 2014, 01:05:10 AM

Ok. So I tested it and here are my results:

a) No CSP's showed up. At all.

b) Characters kept freezing. Almost never in the same spot. (Usually right before or right as I choose the stage.)

(I tested the characters on a non-hacked stage, just to be safe.) All the CSP's that I put in were formatted to CMPR.

After almost 2 years of doing this and seeing very little results, it's getting very depressing. Yet, I won't quit. :\ Idk Help?

if i use a .pac file from PM for a char in brawl minus, will it change their moveset?


Hello. I was wondering how to use BrawlEx on an actual wii system? Any comments would help.

You should go to the BrawlEx thread for tutorials and help.

So with normal Brawl not having enough positive results, I decided to finally switch over to Project: M. Finally, everything works and nothing has crashed so far. But being new to P:M, I obviously have a few questions:

1. Is there a reason why Squirtle, Ivysuar, and Charizard lack a Final Smash? Has it just not been coded yet or what?

2. Is there a way to add a new character? Like, say I wanted to get Shadow into P:M, but I still wanted to keep all the original characters. Is there a way that I can have him without porting him over someone else?

3. Like #2, is there a way to add new stages? (Personal opinion: I was greatly disappointed by the small number of stages that were put in.)

Those are all the questions that I can think of for now, but I have no doubt that I'll be back sometime with more. Any help with the current ones though, would be greatly appreciated.

June 03, 2014, 03:36:39 AM #642 Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:13:07 PM by Snakezarr
Hey, I'm new to this hacking thing after banging my head against a wall trying to get it to work, I've decided to ask for help. The problem I'm having is that I have gecko OS and homebrew installed but I have no idea how to get the codes to work and I dont have an apps file in my private so I cant acess any of the brawl folders and have no Idea how to. Please help

I've gotten codes working but there are still no files in the D:\private\wii\APP\RSBE

Quote from: Snakezarr on June 03, 2014, 03:36:39 AM
Hey, I'm new to this hacking thing after banging my head against a wall trying to get it to work, I've decided to ask for help. The problem I'm having is that I have gecko OS and homebrew installed but I have no idea how to get the codes to work and I dont have an apps file in my private so I cant acess any of the brawl folders and have no Idea how to. Please help

I've gotten codes working but there are still no files in the D:\private\wii\APP\RSBE
did you know nintendo didnt plan on us modding their game,

the game nor the code will generate stuff for you that you can make yourself by clicking "new folder" and typing "pf"
additionally, the games not going to dump itself to your sd card to edit, you need to get these yourself or download them and  place them on your SD card as if an ordinary document

Could you give me a link to download them, I know that the game won't dump itself into my SD card Its just that I've looked EVERYWHERE and no one gives information on how to aquire the fighter folder, all tutorials assume you have it.