Brawl Vault Problems, Updates, and Suggestions

Started by ピカノ, January 06, 2011, 09:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: DashSmash on October 02, 2012, 02:43:00 PM
Back on that rating system that won't come. Why don't you make a rating system with 5 stars where you just need to give how much you like in stars like 4 stars for a really good import as example. So people can't make any comments on it.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=18523.msg1033260#msg1033260

^ Not really sure how I could say it better, so might as well just quote Vyse.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

October 02, 2012, 06:33:24 PM #4951 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:45:28 PM by POKE MASTER
I suggested before that the rating system could also just consist of a group of highly trusted and experienced people that get voted into the position of rating hacks. They could have a group voting session and they would ALL decided the quality of a hack. So immature people wouldn't have the ability to rate a hack as good just because they like the name or because they know the person, nor would they be able t rate it as bad because of bull[censored] reasons. Thus eliminating the possibility of the system being abused The point of the system is to increase the amount of good quality hacks and some of the people on the vault would like to more GOOD hacks being released instead of the increasely high amounts of noob material. As NoAH said everyone has to start somewhere but what about the people that are ALREADY far past that "somewhere"?

The star idea could work or it could be a decent/Good/great/awesome! rating system. As I said before there would be no poor or bad ratings because every hack released would be at least decent.


Quote from: POKE MASTER on October 02, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
I suggested before that the rating system could also just consist of a group of highly trusted and experienced people that get voted into the position of rating hacks. They could have a group voting session and they would ALL decided the quality of a hack. So immature people wouldn't have the ability to rate a hack as good just because they like the name or because they know the person, nor would they be able t rate it as bad because of bull[censored] reasons. Thus eliminating the possibility of the system being abused The point of the system is to increase the amount of good quality hacks and some of the people on the vault would like to more GOOD hacks being released instead of the increasely high amounts of noob material. As NoAH said everyone has to start somewhere but what about the people that are ALREADY far past that "somewhere"?

The star idea could work or it could be a decent/Good/great/awesome! rating system. As I said before there would be no poor or bad ratings because every hack released would be at least decent.
Think about this, having a rating system would still make it so that the better hacks will get better ratings, and not so good ones wont (at least not as good of a rating). This would be unfair to those who arent that good at animating, psa, etc. It would certainly shut down (probably, maybe...) on the noob material, but it would still be more or less the same as it is now, making it pointless.

Also as Albafika said, there's too many hacks in the Vault now to consider that...

Thats my two cents.
Thundaga_T2 & AwesomeCasey795
Check out our music request thread here

October 02, 2012, 07:37:23 PM #4954 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:40:46 PM by NaOH
Download count isn't always indicative of quality.
Case in point.
These apps are all super popular but don't run well on android. I'd give some brawlvault examples but I haven't been using any.  Reguardless, a "staff picks" sounds like what Miacis and Vyse have been talking about; that sounds pretty cool.

Also, there's different kinds of people y'know. There's a reason when when you sort by highest rated on a porn site the material is better than the most viewed.  There's a difference between everyday porn watchers like you and I and porn connoisseurs that actually take the time to rate the material.

As to vyse's reply to my post, it sounds like you're against ratings in general. Kind of a matter of opinion...

Quote from: NaOH on October 02, 2012, 07:37:23 PM
Download count isn't always indicative of quality.
Case in point.
These apps are all super popular but don't run well on android. I'd give some brawlvault examples but I haven't been using any.  Reguardless, a "staff picks" sounds like what Miacis and Vyse have been talking about; that sounds pretty cool.

Also, there's different kinds of people y'know. There's a reason when when you sort by highest rated on a porn site the material is better than the most viewed.  There's a difference between everyday porn watchers like you and I and porn connoisseurs that actually take the time to rate the material.

As to vyse's reply to my post, it sounds like you're against ratings in general. Kind of a matter of opinion...
lol porn rating comparison lol

it would solve the problem if only menbers with 1 year plus or x vault downloads were able to rate
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


October 02, 2012, 09:17:57 PM #4957 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:32:45 PM by Miacis
Quote from: NaOH on October 02, 2012, 07:37:23 PMAlso, there's different kinds of people y'know. There's a reason when when you sort by highest rated on a porn site the material is better than the most viewed.  There's a difference between everyday porn watchers like you and I and porn connoisseurs that actually take the time to rate the material.

As to vyse's reply to my post, it sounds like you're against ratings in general. Kind of a matter of opinion...
I don't think it's a matter of disliking rating in general, but of finding them innappropriate depending on the userbase.

To expand a bit on your porn metaphor, there is not much cults of personality regarding the producers/actors as there is here. Like, I don't think you'll see a whole lot of people rating a movie 5 stars just because it was made by/played by Dirk Focknats. Or just because it has 69s in it.
Sre, there are overal dominant tastes, but that's far from what we have here on KCMM.

However, can you imagine someone 5-staring a Vegeta hack without even trying it? Or 5-staring even a bad, old PSA from SDoom, that makes him cringe every time he sees it in his Vault, again, just because it's SDoom and he made Cloud? Likewise, can you see people 1-staring anything that has "Shadow" in its name?
I can definitely picture all of these here. We've had a lot of cults of personality, and they're still going. Hackers don't share their stuff for money like porn directors, they do it for free. So there's always a part of pride and ego here. More or less depending on the personnalities, but hackers always have very dedicated fans.

I'd say the "teams" thing really did help make this a widespread phenomenon, by putting the spotlight only on some small groups competing for the number of fans and attention they get, but that's kinda straying off-topic.

Not sure if my (long-winded) development makes sense to you guys, but the basic idea is that we don't have such a community that'd be mature enough to try stuff before rating, but would rather rate on looks, author, and personal manga/VG preferences than actual quality.

The very way you try hacks also guarantees that result. When you finish watching a video, that "Like" button is right under the vid. You can spontaneously rate it on what you just tried.
When you finish testing a hack on your Wii (if you started your console just to test ONE hack), do you think most people would specifically go back to the BV page to rate it? I don't. I think they'd rate only before the download, or (at best) after opening it in BB.

Also, as Vyse mentionned, there's another reason we don't like ratings systems: they're a ressource hog.
And ressources hogs are'nt very cool unless they provide aMAzing benefits for the community.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.


October 02, 2012, 09:41:13 PM #4959 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:42:12 PM by mr.mugenwii
Quote from: POKE MASTER on October 02, 2012, 05:50:01 AM
Honesty, it seems like the only way the quality/rating system would be possible is if someone made ANOTHER website where hacks can be uploaded just like Brawl Vault. However it would have different rules of course so it wouldn't be very much like Brawl vault is that sense. I'm guessing there would be a chosen group of people who rated the hacks and depending on the rating that would determine whether or not the hack is eligible for submition. If it is it would be posted on the site for people to see,download and rate themselves. I actually like the idea of another website that operated under a rating system.

there are already two websites
they are called:
[censored]nobrawlhacks.tumblr.com
and
[censored]yeabrawlhacks.tumblr.com

they love to rate dbz and sonic/shadow hacks

October 02, 2012, 09:46:15 PM #4960 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:50:05 PM by Miacis
Quote from: NaOH on October 02, 2012, 09:30:25 PM
I understand and agree with everything you're saying 100%, and I addressed all of those things in my original post...
The one where you basically ask for a semi-BV-integrated sub-boards for reviews? Well, yeah, it's a possible solution, and I guess it works.

I was just expanding on Vyse's explanation since you seemed to have missed the point he was making about ratings.

But still, I think we'd rather stick to the feature plan. There are a few more ways to make the integration simpler, it won't need as much policing to prevent abuses, it will actually give a use to the blog, and most importantly, I don't really think reviewing hacks is that interesting. Why? Because except for PSAs and perhaps SFX stuff, there really isn't that much to write home about a single hack...

Again, it's an okay idea, and I don't see any big problem with it other than we think ours will work better.

I'd honestly rather see us outdoing [censored]yeahbrawlvault by providing similar quality features, with a team of people recieving staff and tech support, than just making just another forum sub-section.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Quote from: mr.mugenwii on October 02, 2012, 09:41:13 PM
there are already two websites
they are called:
[censored]nobrawlhacks.tumblr.com
and
[censored]yeabrawlhacks.tumblr.com

they love to rate dbz and sonic/shadow hacks

They aren't rating sites. They're sites, talking about their views on a hack.
I don't think this is relevant to the convo
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


October 02, 2012, 09:50:47 PM #4962 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:58:56 PM by POKE MASTER
Quote from: Thundaga_T2 on October 02, 2012, 07:33:01 PM
Think about this, having a rating system would still make it so that the better hacks will get better ratings, and not so good ones wont (at least not as good of a rating). This would be unfair to those who arent that good at animating, psa, etc. It would certainly shut down (probably, maybe...) on the noob material, but it would still be more or less the same as it is now, making it pointless.

Also as Albafika said, there's too many hacks in the Vault now to consider that...

Thats my two cents.

Hmm I see what you mean, but!.....Don't "BETTER" hacks deserve "BETTER" ratings anyway? I mean why wouldn't/shouldn't a "BETTER" hack get a "BETTER" rating than a "GOOD" hack or a poor hack?

And I mentioned that one of the ratings would be "DECENT", which equals like a 65% on a test. Just barely passing but still passing (just good enough to be eligible). So that means the hack wouldn't have to be like Mewtwo2000's Peaches Castle 64 quality but it could still be good and be eligible for submition.

I think maybe you misunderstood the point that I'm suggesting.
I'm NOT saying that ONLY hacks that are of OVER the top "LENSHO status" quality should be submitted. I'm saying that only hacks of DECENT quality or HIGHER should be eligible.
So we don't get those hacks like thate Arceus one being uploaded and so we don't get noobs uploading their hacks everyday and flushing the good hacks away with their poorly made 10min hacks.