Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

And this is why I never dove into the moderation of the off-topic boards. The first time I ever posted in the Family thread, I saw fighting and arguing and spamming, and that was just how it worked. It wasn't for me, so I left it at that. I did notice that a large amount of the warnings issued did come from that thread, but the thing to remember is that moderation is up to the admin/mod's discretion and the warning level accompanies the judgement. If I recall correctly, the warnings issued during the Kitty-Leaks incident were revoked. And as for the time that goes by, I did notice that sometimes a warning did go a little longer than 2 weeks, but that was a system bug, not an admin hate crime.

As for locking threads and deleting content, we are entitled to do what it takes to protect other users from malicious content. Usually, locking a thread is a last resort, but in extreme situations where nothing is getting accomplished and we need more time to think about answers and not rile the mob any more than it is already, then yes, a lock will happen (like your example of me up there).  I know of another time where users were deleting posts in the family thread to get on the 5000th page or something like that. The thread was locked to keep people from doing anything more stupid than what was going on. But I cannot stress enough that these situations are all in the discretion of the moderator or admin who sees it. We all have different styles and may get offended more easily than others, but we all have the same guidelines, which are the rules that you can read in the link in the header bar.

As for self-censoring, just don't do it. It's that easy. The forum, from what I understand, has an option to either let you see the foul word or censor it. I'm pretty sure the staff was working on a better system of censorship, but I don't have all the details about it.

For warning timing, I do have to agree with you, cx_asuka. I know it has been discussed to the mods in the past, but clearly this was just a slip up. The general rule of thumb is to give a warning, then let the user calm down first. Obviously, a person is going to be angry about a warning, so adding a warning on top of that does not make sense nor is it fair to do in such a short time period. I know that even I have slipped up like that, but I corrected the situation by lowering the moderation warning, and issuing an apology (which looking back, I've probably apologized for too much, but hey, nobody wants to tear me limb from limb... yet).

I know I didn't quite touch everything you addressed, but I hope this can help you and the staff a little bit.






Quote from: LordNOaH on July 28, 2011, 11:43:43 PM
inb4 staff, rather than try hopelessly to defend yourselves with rehashed and overall bad excuses that we've seen before, or try to disregard it because "He's from VIP chat" or some other detrimental statement, it'd probably be a good idea to take these examples into consideration when rewriting the rules.
:>.>palm: Do you HAVE to trash the mods every chance you get? A simple, "I agree with that guy" or "he brings up some good points" could suffice. You don't give the moderation team the respect or credit they deserve. They bust their asses to make sure that the forum stays a likable place and all you do is try to show how evil they are, and what monsters they are, and how things should be run differently. What ever happened to "give respect, get respect"? If you don't like the way things are run, nobody is forcing you to stay. I've seen too much of what they do to let you keep getting cheap shots at them all the time. We all make mistakes. It happens. A lot of mistakes were made in a short time period, admittedly, but it happens. Now, I would prefer if you pay a little more respect to the moderation team, because that can be interpreted as flaming, trolling, AND disruptive behavior. We aren't idiots here. We know how to run things with technicalities if we have a user who runs on them too...
(This rant was directed at LordNOah. cx_asuka, I liked your approach better. At least it was polite)

July 29, 2011, 04:13:43 AM #466 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:08:00 PM by Miacis DaShade
Quote from: stickman on July 29, 2011, 03:44:10 AM
:>.>palm: Do you HAVE to trash the mods every chance you get? A simple, "I agree with that guy" or "he brings up some good points" could suffice. You don't give the moderation team the respect or credit they deserve. They bust their asses to make sure that the forum stays a likable place and all you do is try to show how evil they are, and what monsters they are, and how things should be run differently. What ever happened to "give respect, get respect"? If you don't like the way things are run, nobody is forcing you to stay. I've seen too much of what they do to let you keep getting cheap shots at them all the time. We all make mistakes. It happens. A lot of mistakes were made in a short time period, admittedly, but it happens. Now, I would prefer if you pay a little more respect to the moderation team, because that can be interpreted as flaming, trolling, AND disruptive behavior. We aren't idiots here. We know how to run things with technicalities if we have a user who runs on them too...
(This rant was directed at LordNOah. cx_asuka, I liked your approach better. At least it was polite)
I'm the one who takes shots at them?  Ever since I first brought something up, I've been disreguarded as "trolling" and not taken seriously. I actually have an excuse to be pissed off because it seems like every chance that presents its self to the staff they use against me, including one little banning incident that we all know wasn't an accident.  In fact, I'm pretty sure not much of anything I bring up can qualify as mistakes.

Do you remember this?
or maybe the polite response?
I have tried to be polite in the past, it really hasn't worked.

Lately, whenever I post anything its met with the same tone of "oh, you again.  How can we get rid of you this time."  Replies such as this, this, this, and not to mention this little incident 2 days ago (probably contains swears, click at own risk) completely justify my attitude.  Yeah, perhaps when you respect your members a little more I'll give you credit.  I'm really sorry for telling you when I think something is wrong.

Edit : My Bad. Fixed.

I do remember those. And since I remember those, I can assure you that the situation was under control UNTIL you had to expose everything wrong with the forums, which led to the situation afterwards. The day started out as just a reminder to (the person who started the poll) to keep forum matters in the admin section before going public with it. It could have been left at that, and we could have avoided what had to be the most torturous administrating I have ever done. Before that incident, I only knew you as the guy on the irc. You didn't stick out as a troll, flamer, or disruptive person before this point. And you know how strongly you came on in that original post. You KNOW. That is why you asked permission for the second thread which I unfortunately approved, thinking that you would stay true to your word and keep the thread from getting out of hand, where I had to lock it again. So yes, after that, you were known as the guy who led a (successful) attack on the moderation team. Call it a troll, flamer, what-have-you, but you were considered dangerous.

I don't see at any point where there was a "polite" tone to your words. Everything I encountered was condescending and attacking. The issue at hand originally was post count. I don't even know what to call what the situation has blown up into. And yeah, I know Oizen's response was more than childish, and he was punished for that after it happened. You threw the first blows in this fight (What's what), and we had nothing to do but defend our sorry hides. When the staff sees respect towards them, they will show it back. There's a way to address problems, and you just happened to do it the wrong way back then. And yeah, we avoid talking about it again because it will only stir up more of a mess like we had before. We'd prefer not to clean up a mess like that again.

And I say "we" in these posts, but I mean the team, excluding me. I can't do anything except stand up for the people who I know are working intensely behind the scenes to keep crap from hitting a large fan.


You know, after your little demonstration of corruption in the IRC that you jacked, as dead as it may be, really hurts your credibility when it comes to any time of moderation suggestion, not that you had much to begin with.

I don't see why we should take advice,complaints and slander from the guy who basic ideal of moderation is "I don't care, as long as this place is active"

another thing, you seem very....dissatisfied with the way things are run around here. Why don't you just go? We're not forcing you to visit this place, if you want a new forum for brawl hacking, you could try out the new LST forum, or just go to Smash Boards. Theres no reason for you to stay in a place you've hated on so much.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish anyway?

July 29, 2011, 10:28:25 AM #469 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:38:02 AM by Miacis DaShade
Okay ... let's go with Asuka's questions before moving to the more disorganized stuff.

1) Kitty Leaks
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


2) Kitty Leaks in the Family Thread.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


3) The Kitty Leaks return.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


4) Goodbye topics
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


5, 7, 8) Words/Exressions/Censor things.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


6) The Warn status time ... well, two things :

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


9) About Missed sanctions.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


10) Above rules thing.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


TLDR :
1) Lots of things are up to moderation's judgement, especially things that are/aren't considered "potentially dangerous to the discussion".
2) Technical problems.
3) Late to Updating the twin Rules topics.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

July 29, 2011, 10:32:12 AM #470 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:09:10 AM by Sorceress
Quote from: Miacis DaShade on July 29, 2011, 10:28:25 AM
One could even hypothtize that it was Sorceress's thread that encourage Oizen to create his topic.
Did you read my mind or something, i was thinking the same thing. o.o

Edit: I approve of the rule for goodbye threads for certain reasons, but i think goodbye threads should say the real reason for the person leaving, I forgive Mikuru for her thread, she had to leave for a rl issue, but nothing related to leaving because of me, i forgive her totally, i never disliked her in the first place, but i think goodbye threads should say the real reason for the person leaving and i did leave because of my "mouth surgery" but the rule was made afterwords, but i came back because i said i will come back when i feel better and here i am.

And for the part about "Oizen's Flaming" i seen that post he made about me, i don't mind him trolling me, but i think he should be alittle more nicer to other users, including me.
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

July 29, 2011, 11:24:52 AM #471 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:33:32 AM by Miacis DaShade
Quote from: Oizen™ on July 29, 2011, 07:27:29 AM"I don't care, as long as this place is active"
I think this actually fits allenmelon's politics a bit more, to be honest.

Quote from: Sorceress on July 29, 2011, 10:32:12 AM
Did you read my mind or something, i was thinking the same thing. o.o
Empathy. I haz it. :P
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

July 29, 2011, 11:33:37 AM #472 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:35:03 AM by Sorceress
Umm... may i ask what happens to users with usernames that contains swear words or something similar?
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Quote from: Sorceress on July 29, 2011, 11:33:37 AM
Umm... may i ask what happens to users with usernames that contains swear words or something similar?
I quess they'll be kindly asked to change it to something more legit. And if they don't, we'll just change the name back to their registration name.

*adds it to the Moderation Tactics rough draft*
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Quote from: Miacis DaShade on July 29, 2011, 11:37:05 AM
I quess they'll be kindly asked to change it to something more legit. And if they don't, we'll just change the name back to their registration name.

*adds it to the Moderation Tactics rough draft*
What happens if they registered as the name and they spelled it wrong, does those count?
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

I guess that for very specific stuff like that, it will be done on a case by case basis and through discussions with the user.

(However, one cannot register on the boards with a currently censored word in his username. Something I had experienced on my first time here when Random had "replaced" Miacis with The original furry. Effectively not allowing me to register here. :P)
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

So because Random messed with your username, you couldn't register here, well thats bad, but now is that "power abuse"?

and for the "Bots", what happens if they don't act like one and we mistake it for a user or a user for a bot, what would you guys do then?
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Quote from: Sorceress on July 29, 2011, 11:53:23 AM
So because Random messed with your username, you couldn't register here, well thats bad, but now is that "power abuse"?
Yeah, that was some pretty epic power abuse, back in the day. :P
But hey, it's all settled now, so who cares ?

Quoteand for the "Bots", what happens if they don't act like one and we mistake it for a user or a user for a bot, what would you guys do then?
? Not sure what you mean. If we have the certitude an account is a bot, we'll ban it. Not sure where "how the regular users consider a bot" intervenes here.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

July 29, 2011, 12:29:33 PM #478 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:34:07 PM by Sorceress
Quote from: Miacis DaShade on July 29, 2011, 12:25:42 PM
? Not sure what you mean. If we have the certitude an account is a bot, we'll ban it. Not sure where "how the regular users consider a bot" intervenes here.
Well if a new user has a advertising link in his/her sig, but hasn't picked a avatar, but already made a intro thread and people are already calling the user a bot, is their any way for mods/admins to check if he/she is human.
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Quote from: Sorceress on July 29, 2011, 12:29:33 PM
Well if a new user has a advertising link in his/her sig, but hasn't picked a avatar, but already made a intro thread and people are already calling the user a bot, is their any way for mods/admins to check if he/she is human.
We'll check for various stuff like the hostame, profile infos, and the like. Once we're sure it's a bot, we'll ban it. Simple as that.

Also, the Rules have finally been updated. If anything important was forgotten, please do tell.
Our "Moderation Tactics Guidelines" will soon follow in the Admin board. :P
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.