Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: How come less people pursue to become good at PSA than other hacking forms?
Lack of time/patience - 11 (22.4%)
Not enough tutorials - 8 (16.3%)
The program hasn't been updated in forever, and is still pretty hard to understand for most - 23 (46.9%)
Because past PSAers set the bar too high - 3 (6.1%)
Because it receives significantly less useful feedback than other forms of hacking - 1 (2%)
Lack of vertexes/textures to cater to ideas - 2 (4.1%)
It's hard to monitor your progress - 1 (2%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Something that occurred to me/slightly bothered me...  (Read 16518 times)
Albafika
Anti-Christ
Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »

I'm very hyped for your Black Knight. I think it'll be the first PSA of a non-Brawl character on that category (Slow). As to the feedback: You're totally right. I, at least, would love to give feedback for everyone else since I know some PSA'ers want feedback, but most of the time I've seen there's no need to, other than this animation here or this bug there, but with Sephy it's being hard to balance 'cause of the things you mentioned.

I really hope my interest in PSA'ing doesn't fades, I'm planning on working on Nephenee and Soren (And 2 others ), but focus all my learnings on both of those hoping I'll get the hand of it, but, as I said, I found it tedious when I revised some tutorials and examined 'em, I noticed: The first steps are the HARDEST of PSA'ing.

DrKoala
    ­Tactical Disaster
    Special Access

­

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »

I myself actually, like, though about learning this stuff myself, but... well, as it has already been, like, said, you can't really see your progress while you're working. That, and it's all, like, only code stuff as far as I know, which in my ears sounds, like, rather tedious.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »

it is...

that's why I say build a logic editor like Blender's

I can't really say anything about 3DS...
    I don't think you can make games for 3DS :/

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

I should've also added the option of "It's hard to monitor your progress".

CaptN CeeGee
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »

imo

psaing is tedious...when doing tedious coding...butwith simple  coding, like hitboxes, it becomes redundant.  Psa is something that seems hard and complicated at first, but no, it's just very simple(with practice, and getting used to it).  It's coding and the 'solution' is commonly simple. When you code in psa or or any language(i do c#), your not going to know everything about it. And may never know everything about it, but it doesnt matter.  You'll find a way to do what you want either though help or 'cheating'. It's not hard to start psa, it's hard to stick with it because, as I said, it becomes redundant sometimes.

Also, the lack of models to use is a 'small' problem, the big issue (2 me when I started psa) is realizing that psa isn't magic, it can't do everything you can imagine. What I mean is that I had some great ideas that died because I realized that psa is very limited.

uhh I said that from the top of my head sooo yeh... And for the poll, I like the 'past psaers set the bar too high' only because back then there were many great quality psas out there that (as far as I can remember) had great feedback that wasn't kiss up bs - real feed back...(ranting)i got tired of seeing bad or oped(not pointing out ne1) or just plain bad psas get good 'fake' feedback and hype. To me it showed how low the bar for quality psas had become and decreased my want to psa..

.i could keep going but I'm done ranting... So yeh psa is easy once you get used to it, the problem is sticking with it.  We need 'real' feed back...blah blah rant..blah..

edit

you need real feedback to achieve and become successful.  You tell someone who is failing that they're doing a great and wonderful job, then they will never be great.  You tell someone who is doing good the issues you see and what needs improvement, then they will become great.  You don't create quality entertainment from being babied, you need to be told the truth to improve.
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:21:36 PM by CaptN CeeGee » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

you need real feedback to achieve and become successful.  You tell someone who is failing that they're doing a great and wonderful job, then they will never be great.  You tell someone who is doing good the issues you see and what needs improvement, then they will become great.  You don't create quality entertainment from being babied, you need to be told the truth to improve.
    THANK YOU >:O

UDK how many people I've ran into that DON'T do this

freakin P's me off ):<

you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.

you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

IWasAPerson
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »

I'm starting to get into PSA'ing, and I'm noticing three things that would probably cause people to quit.

1. The difficulty gap between this and...just about everything else is pretty high. Might have to do with a lot of stuff being harder to document, might have to do with people not having enough time or patience to learn their way around it, might be too intimidating at first. I'm pretty much trying to figure out how everything works through looking at existing PSA's to see how different things work, but even that's taking a while.

2. New animations can be extremely hard and kill off a project. This is what happened to Project Zero, and there are a lot of people who don't know how to do decent animations. This may prevent people from making a move they want since it'll look weird, and stop working on their project since they can't portray their ideas properly. Either that or it's way too glitchy. Either one.

3. It takes a lot of time to work on these. Even if you do know what you're doing, it's going to take a while to get things to where you want them to be. Animations take a long time to polish, and plain old bugtesting can take a while.

I think that with PSA'ing patience is a bigger virtue than with other forms of hacking. Also, it can be discouraging when your lesser-known character is going to be ignored by many for the newest Shadow update (for the sake of an example).
    Speaking of the subject of helping people out, I'm trying to fix Viewtiful Joe's Final Smash when placed over Yoshi (since it acts weird and gives out 10x damage for each hit, doesn't slow down, etc) since Captain Falcon's Final smash seems like it did a lot of the work for it. Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions about it?

JediKnightTemplar
    Expert Kitten

I'm pretty much a useless lurker.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »

I tried, but I didn't find enough stuff to teach me how to work with the program at any significant level. On a similar note, not to sound whiny, but why haven't you replied to my PM about chargeable attacks in PSA? I'm pretty sure it was months since I it. Back on topic though, all I really need to get better at PSA is tutorials, as of right now the resources are rather slim, especially since the only real beginner tutorials (WackaAlpaca) don't really enable you to do much. If someone who knows what they're doing made a tutorial series that worked up from the basics into more advanced PSA coding you would see a lot more balanced, unique PSA's.

CaptN CeeGee
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »

there's no point in making a psa tut...actually no.  There's no point in making a beginner tut., only an advanced tut. Showing how to do some tricks, ideas, and how to do some cool things.  If you wnna learn psa, theb you have to try, it aint easy.  Imo you have to test and mess with psa, if that doesn't work, then you search(kcmm) for the answer, still nothing?,then ask a question. That's how I learned psa-test,search,ask.

^did you try to make a chargeable attack...did you search the forums for the answer? No? Well I bet if you searched for how to make a chargeable attack, you wouldve known/figured out months ago.  (ithink)there's a tut by hollow on how to make a chargeable attack...srry if I seemed to troll, only trying to help

SiLeNtDo0m
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »

I tried, but I didn't find enough stuff to teach me how to work with the program at any significant level. On a similar note, not to sound whiny, but why haven't you replied to my PM about chargeable attacks in PSA? I'm pretty sure it was months since I it. Back on topic though, all I really need to get better at PSA is tutorials, as of right now the resources are rather slim, especially since the only real beginner tutorials (WackaAlpaca) don't really enable you to do much. If someone who knows what they're doing made a tutorial series that worked up from the basics into more advanced PSA coding you would see a lot more balanced, unique PSA's.

Was that targeted to me?  Because honestly dude, I get bombarded with PMs constantly (and I'm usually too lazy to sort and delete them).  Also, Hollow made a 3 level charge attack tutorial a while ago.  It's in the Tutorials and Guides section.

Roo
    Lol Kitten

Or WAS I?

• Awards Fiery Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

First off, I kinda wish you could select multiple answers to this question, because more than one may apply.

I guess the reason I dont take up PSA is because anything i've ever thought would look good in a PSA is too complicated to take on as a real attack.
    And I know people will say: "You just have to learn before you can do something cool." The point is, it's truely too complicated for me with my smallish mind to take on.

Another reason why I dont do PSA is because of the lack of Graphical effects. When you look at it, there relly isn't too too many. I'm literally disgusted with some PSA's because of the super generic effects used for them. I know we're limited with graphical effects in the first place, but really good PSA'ers can disguise it as a new graphic.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

First off, I kinda wish you could select multiple answers to this question, because more than one may apply.

I guess the reason I dont take up PSA is because anything i've ever thought would look good in a PSA is too complicated to take on as a real attack.
    And I know people will say: "You just have to learn before you can do something cool." The point is, it's truely too complicated for me with my smallish mind to take on.

Another reason why I dont do PSA is because of the lack of Graphical effects. When you look at it, there relly isn't too too many. I'm literally disgusted with some PSA's because of the super generic effects used for them. I know we're limited with graphical effects in the first place, but really good PSA'ers can disguise it as a new graphic.
    root for me for Brawl Logic Editor Smiley
    although I suck at making GUI's

anyone good at TKinter that could help?? :/

CaptN CeeGee
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

tcll..- wuts up man, c you still working on the converter...neways...
     no offence tcll but I'm not looking forward to your ble just because I dunno wut you can offer(not trying 2 insult).  Buuut I kno a bit of c# and would like to help out in a way to just improve psa to make tedious work easier and quicker.

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

tcll..- wuts up man, c you still working on the converter...neways...
     no offence tcll but I'm not looking forward to your ble just because I dunno wut you can offer(not trying 2 insult).  Buuut I kno a bit of c# and would like to help out in a way to just improve psa to make tedious work easier and quicker.
    when do I ever take offence XD

I just need help getting the GUI to work...
    I can design the GUI and put the main code in...
    I just can't get it to work is all ):>

SiLeNtDo0m
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

As Cpt CeeGee said correctly, making PSAs does rather limit your creative freedom.  The file size limits (biggest restriction of all by far), the fact that some characters lack external graphic effects, the fact that some characters lack useful articles, restrictive Final Smashes for some characters, hardcoding restrictions (such as Counters, Tethers etc).  The list goes on.  Us PSAers are CONSTANTLY having to make compremises to our movesets (I've done it with literally every moveset I've ever made or even written).

Also, I personally think that PSA is less "difficult" and more "demanding".  There are so many things that you have to do now to make a good PSA.  Even once you've done all the hitboxes and graphics etc, you need to attempt to balance it (which requires good feedback),  you need to fix any presentational flaws (hitbox oddities, graphic oddities, glitches and the like) and you need to do some playtesting just to make sure everything is indeed okay with it.  It's laborious and time consuming to say the least.

If the clever programmers like PhantomWings and Dantarion and all those people that know how to do this kind of thing made an update for PSA and made it offer more, made it more accessible and made it make more sense then some of these restrictions and not only give the current PSAers more creative freedom, but also attract more people to making PSAs.

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: