Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: How come less people pursue to become good at PSA than other hacking forms?
Lack of time/patience - 11 (22.4%)
Not enough tutorials - 8 (16.3%)
The program hasn't been updated in forever, and is still pretty hard to understand for most - 23 (46.9%)
Because past PSAers set the bar too high - 3 (6.1%)
Because it receives significantly less useful feedback than other forms of hacking - 1 (2%)
Lack of vertexes/textures to cater to ideas - 2 (4.1%)
It's hard to monitor your progress - 1 (2%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages:  1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Something that occurred to me/slightly bothered me...  (Read 16511 times)
DarkPikachu
Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 09:18:56 AM »

Hey be nice to me =( I dono much outside what I've been personally told. All I know is that Zss has the smallest Psa file limit and when I was working on Tifa I wanted to challenge that >.>''
    *sigh*
    I'm not trying to sound mean or anything
    (I never am)

it's just... I've stated that quite a number of times...

you can't limit individual files...

what's the full size of the disk Partition??
    you can change that, then you can get bigger files in
    (this only applies to ISO users)

if you use Gecko (like me), you're screwed
    since gecko reads the partition strait from the disk...

there is a currently impossible gecko bypass though...
    burn the ISO to a dual-layer disk with a full partition format

again... CURRENTLY impossible...
    but it can be done >_>

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Cascade Hellsing
    Your Lord and Master
    Lol Kitten

Yawn

• Awards Sniper Pin Collector Hey! Listen! 128-bit Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »

My biggest problem with getting into PSA.... I procrastinate a little too much, and I don't really have the motivation to start..... though I keep on trying to start....

xxmasal22xx
    Holy Kitten

The epic importer

• Awards Hot Topic Dedicated Hacker KCMM Veteran Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »

If I were to start a Magikarp PSA, I'd expect little to no insightful feedbac...

xD lol Magikarp learns to use a real attack!

First off, I kinda wish you could select multiple answers to this question, because more than one may apply.

I guess the reason I dont take up PSA is because anything i've ever thought would look good in a PSA is too complicated to take on as a real attack.
    And I know people will say: "You just have to learn before you can do something cool." The point is, it's truely too complicated for me with my smallish mind to take on.

Another reason why I dont do PSA is because of the lack of Graphical effects. When you look at it, there relly isn't too too many. I'm literally disgusted with some PSA's because of the super generic effects used for them. I know we're limited with graphical effects in the first place, but really good PSA'ers can disguise it as a new graphic.

Exactly. As Roo said, there is only so much we can do with PSA. It limits us so much that it's hard to be creative! I mean, for custom characters (shadow, my darkrai, lloyd, cloud, sephiroth, etc.) everyone always says "why didn't this person put in so-and-so a move in the PSA and make it true to the character?" Well, that's because it's not possible. The amount of graphic effects, and the broad variety of them is insulting.

A good PSA will, and ALWAYS will take time, effort, patience, determination, constructive criticizm and a thick-skinned personality. You need to be able to work well with others as well as be able to deal with haters, and criticizm. When people say to me "Oh, well I'm not downloading your hack because it sucks.", the least they could do is say why they feel that way. The same goes for PSA. There is a lack of community effort on certain occasions, and people aren't providing any solid feedback.

What really pisses me off though is haters. "You are horrible at making hacks! You probably live in a basement and have no life" So? If you have a beef with someone, sure let them know, but don't automatically start to flame. Words and wisdom are the key to life. People like this that swear 24/7 and think they are cool need to realize that not everyone likes the same things. If you don't like a PSA, then simply shut up and leave the maker be.

People don't realize what really goes into some of the mods WE make. Yes we. Making brawlmods is a community effort. Hackers can pour their heart and soul into a PSA, and it still won't be good enough. It never will. Because people are selfish and don't think before they speak.

Done ranting now........

By the way, I think every active hacker in this forum could use less distractions.

MEMORABLE QUOTES:
    Tcll:  I <3 69
    xxmasal22xx: Hey, you should probably go to the hop[censored]al
    BlackJax96: everything is so ROUND

[SPOILERED. Reason: Whole signature size must be under 250px.]

Join my website, Brawl Imports, a gathering place for importers!
    http://brawlimports.proboards.com/index.cgi

Support Project Darkrai? Put the official Project Darkrai banner in your siggy!
    [PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »

Exactly. As Roo said, there is only so much we can do with PSA. It limits us so much that it's hard to be creative! I mean, for custom characters (shadow, my darkrai, lloyd, cloud, sephiroth, etc.) everyone always says "why didn't this person put in so-and-so a move in the PSA and make it true to the character?" Well, that's because it's not possible. The amount of graphic effects, and the broad variety of them is insulting.

A good PSA will, and ALWAYS will take time, effort, patience, determination, constructive criticizm and a thick-skinned personality. You need to be able to work well with others as well as be able to deal with haters, and criticizm. When people say to me "Oh, well I'm not downloading your hack because it sucks.", the least they could do is say why they feel that way. The same goes for PSA. There is a lack of community effort on certain occasions, and people aren't providing any solid feedback.

What really pisses me off though is haters. "You are horrible at making hacks! You probably live in a basement and have no life" So? If you have a beef with someone, sure let them know, but don't automatically start to flame. Words and wisdom are the key to life. People like this that swear 24/7 and think they are cool need to realize that not everyone likes the same things. If you don't like a PSA, then simply shut up and leave the maker be.

People don't realize what really goes into some of the mods WE make. Yes we. Making brawlmods is a community effort. Hackers can pour their heart and soul into a PSA, and it still won't be good enough. It never will. Because people are selfish and don't think before they speak.

Done ranting now........

Thankfully, it's mainly trolls on sites like Youtube that do that.  Almost no one here does it.  I mean sure, we get our occasional person giving hate once in a while, but it's not a common thing.  Mainly because people here actually understand everyone's situation, and as a result they attempt to relate and concur with them.

ToddL
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

I'm planning to try to get into PSA sometime relatively soon.  I have many many ideas I want to see done and an anal desire for professionalism that I don't think anyone else can live up to.  PSA is just so darn intimidating.  I have an idea for a unbelievably simple (but cool) project planed to start me out, but I ran into a problem with the model that I can't fix without vertexing knowledge...Running into this road block got my morale down and made me temporarily give up on the pursuit, but I don't intend to abandon it entirely; not sure when I'll get back to it, though.  Again, the process of making a completely new character is just so darn intimidating...

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »

Then start with mods and/or alternate movesets of existing characters. For example, try making a better moveset for Lucas.

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #51 on: June 03, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »

What kinda drug me to a stop with Tifa was the fact that Zss' final Smash changes her back into Samus, which I don't want... it was going to be Final Heaven like I planned and already animated out.

You don't know how to change that? All you'd have to do is delete "terminate instance" at the end of subaction 1E7 and redirect the code to somewhere else...

Or am I misunderstanding

Ӄit ßallarɖ
    Little 3D Animator
    Angel Kitten

Little Twitch Affiliate

• Awards PC Pro Gamer Heart Container Super Saiyan Topic Sniper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #52 on: June 03, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »

You don't know how to change that? All you'd have to do is delete "terminate instance" at the end of subaction 1E7 and redirect the code to somewhere else...

Or am I misunderstanding
    I thought I cleared everything... I'll try that later, though Maybe who ever picks up Tifa could do it if it's successful. And ofcourse I didn't know that. I bearly even know how to make a graphic show up >.>''

Kit's Youtube of Combos and Randomness
    Also featuring a Deviantart page full of random images I make
    Official FaceBook Page to get a hold of me, catch up with what I'm doing, or just like me!

Ultraxwing
    Holy Kitten

Master of the Vault!

• Awards Constructive Hot Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #53 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:55 PM »

i have plans for PSA. but my plans are always too ambitious for a begginer and doing elemental PSA'S are overdone, and i have no plans on simply "upgrading" a PSA.

though, Zero/Avatar Ness/etc. are very well characters for their time and i congratulate them. though at this time. i mean, i wish i could make a Link PSA have an "ethereal" sword. and the simple part to this mod is exactly that. there is no blade, and the blade is made of Aura. while keeping the handle i have idea on how this is done as of yet...

But my true passion for probably hacks is simply this. the model ports. i was able to get the Clare PSA started and make the code for a sword to appear at all times. and i was willing to continue the PSA. but DivineOverlord said "i'll help make this" me being a lazy noob accepted. and i thank Divine Overlord for doing it though, cause the code is CONFUSING!!

only if we had some basic tips. like "making a special attack"

if anything that gets me is those god forsaken special Tabs. i can make some (i mean TINY) adjustments.

but i think my prowess is getting a project started, i mean i got clare done, by showing self initiative and i learned how to hex articles to affixiate to certain bones.

but PSA in general, it's rather complex unfortunetely... but not too complex, i wish i just knew what i meant.

but meh oh well, i'm learning slowly.

ALSO can we expand on the thought of "expanding" the file size for the ISO users, much like mah self?

nah i kid.

Ӄit ßallarɖ
    Little 3D Animator
    Angel Kitten

Little Twitch Affiliate

• Awards PC Pro Gamer Heart Container Super Saiyan Topic Sniper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #54 on: June 04, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »

Or am I misunderstanding
    Update: Holy crap I think it worked! But now it freezes (no the game, but the animation) after the animation is done XD

Kit's Youtube of Combos and Randomness
    Also featuring a Deviantart page full of random images I make
    Official FaceBook Page to get a hold of me, catch up with what I'm doing, or just like me!

Pik
    Holy Kitten

i like the way you die boi

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #55 on: June 05, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »

PSA has been something I've been fairly interested in since the start of brawl modding. When I first learned that people could actually create movesets, I was elated: but the program itself is not very user friendly. I don't have the patience to deal with filesize limits, finding out what the unknowns do, debugging any issues (which I assume there'd be tons) and making custom animations with a limited animator. (which is a necessity for a great moveset, IMO. at least a few d:)

I took time making Quote's moveset balanced and something brawl would have. While it was a blast to write up, executing it would be way too troublesome

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »

My own case is just that I like making stages too much, and other things will be always less interesting to me.

My concept of smash bros is a game with many nintendo related characters that fight in many epic places taken from other games. And well, while characters are okay to me, the stages in brawl are a low number, and don't have the epicness they should have to me. Also, I spent my time with old 3D programs when I was younger, and I made my own 3D areas. Stage hacking fits me perfectly.

With the ammount of ideas for stages I have, I can't even think on learning to make PSAs (which I'm sure I would quickly get used to), or vertexing characters (I could make an exception with that if I needed a vertexed character for some stage and such).

Also, most PSAs over there seem to be just power-ups for already existing movesets, and I don't like it. It's just like cheating. I like new and innovative ideas, like many of the moves in SDoom's Shadow, for example. But when I see some overpowered character (like some ganondorf I saw once fighting in my Temple of Time stage), I just laugh and keep doing my stages.

So, this is why I don't personally make PSAs. But I guess PSAs can be very interesting if they're well done and imaginative.

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

Higure Hokousha
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 05:17:54 PM »

There are two major obstacles that come to mind:

1: A PSA is never just a PSA.

Making a good, original PSA almost always requires custom animations. If you are doing more than modifying an existing character, then you will also need a vertexture. Textures are (potentially) a one-man job. Stages can be too. PSA's, however, almost inevitably require a team to complete (Learning any one aspect of brawl hacking is difficult, but three? Yeah, about that...)

2: Information

First, we need tutorials. I have a decent knowledge of PSA and a fondness for out-of-the-box movesets. Unfortunately, there are a lot of relatively simple things (such as the occasional refusal of GFX to manifest(among many other things) that serve as troublesome obstacles to my (and probably others') work.

Secondly, we need to keep researching the code. A lot of the limitations of PSA result from lack of information. Even after all this time, the Events documentation has a lot of Unknown values in it.

The biggest advances will come as .rel hacking progresses, which will eliminate many of the obstacles presented by hardcoding and (I believe) allow us to add new articles and GFX.
    « Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:19:34 PM by Higure Hokousha » Logged

My Brawl Tools Library

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=34011.0

Tools:

PSA Assistant

Pages:  1 2 3 [4]
    Print
    Jump to: