Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SFX in your Brawl - Tutorial for absolute beginners  (Read 39643 times)
BriefCasey795
Supreme Kitten

What does one poot here?

• Awards Heart Container RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »

Alright. If it happens again all send you all the files I'm using.

I'm back after a long while.

SwingSet
    Holy Kitten

taunt

• Awards Pin Collector Dedicated Hacker Fiery Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »

ok thanks you, i understood everything!!!!! exept i didnt understand where the smashbros_sound.brsar goes in, and i use gecko os  version 1.9.1 so where would the smashbros_sound.brsar  go in? thanks please reply

Jaklub
    Supreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• Awards Featured Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »

Step 3 - Getting the smashbros_sound.brsar to work with your modded Brawl
    In this point, I have bad news for Gecko OS users. smashbros_sound.brsar can't be replaced with stable File Patch code. You need to use WiiScrubber to swap the original file with the altered brsar.
    If you're a Riivolution user, the location of where your brsar should be on your SD card is dependent on the xml you're using. Most common cases:
    - If you're using the template, it goes into SD:/ssbb/, like everything.
    - If you're using the xml for past Gecko OS users, it goes into SD:/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/sound/.

As you may have noticed, I don't answer PMs with problems anymore.

DariusStoneXIII
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »

I've got quite a few messages regarding this topic and I see a lot of people still having trouble with this thing. I also see some people just ignoring SFX modding, because they think it's so hard to get into even using SFX mods (thankfully, it only looks like that). Those reasons caused me to write this short tutorial, so you all can enjoy your different-sounding Smash.

I assume you have already set up your Wii for using Brawl mods. If you haven't and somehow landed here, check this thread and return when you've finished setting up.

Step 1 - Obtaining the smashbros_sound.brsar
    This big file has almost all of the samples that play in Brawl. (almost, because there is also a second one for what I assume is Mr. Resetti's speech, but no-one was interested in editing that so far) To install SFX mods, you'll need it.
    Later on, I'll refer to smashbros_sound.brsar as "the brsar".
    smashbros_sound.brsar from NTSC-U Brawl
    smashbros_sound.brsar from PAL Brawl
    NOTE: It is important to have the brsar that matches your version of Brawl.

Step 2 - Installing the SFX packs you want to have
    You must assure all of the packs you want to insert are compatible with your brsar.
    This is the hardest part, but still easy as hell in certain situations. To insert most of the packs, you need Sawndz. You can obtain the newest version here. If you want to install some older packs, you may also want to get Sawndz 0.072. It's in the same thread.
    After you have downloaded Sawndz, unpack it and put the brsar in the same directory.
    There is a variety of filetypes you may encounter. Here is how do you deal with them.
    Note: If one of the SFX packs you want to get it is either a hex packet or a bunch of .dats and .wavs, you must insert those first. .sawnd and .wav files insertion affects the offsets in your brsar and may make the hex packets and .dats from old Sawndz unusable without deeper intervention.
    - .sawnd file. This means good news for you - all you have to do is run Sawndz, click Insert .sawnd, choose that file and voila - it's done. Contrary to a popular belief, you don't need to fill in anything.
    - Bunch of .wav files. It's still simple to insert, but requires a bit more hassle from you. Open the readme file that should have came with the waves and fill the blanks using the instructions from there. Then choose the respective .wav file and wait till the inserting is done. Repeat till done for all files.
    - Bunch of .wav and .dat files. This is more painful to get working than just .wav files. If one of the packs you want to install is those, you should absolutely insert these first. The same applies to hex packets, which I will talk about later. To get those to work without thinking much, you need an older Sawndz version - I recommend Sawndz 0.072, the last one before program got radically changed. Just like in case of new Sawndz, you need the brsar in the same directory. Run the old Sawndz. From "Saves" field, choose Load button and pick a .dat. Rename the respective .wav to "sound.wav", put it into the directory with Sawndz and click "Convert & Insert". Repeat till done for all of the .dats/.wavs.
    - A hex packet. Those are relatively simple to insert, but if you want to get your SFX mods working quickly, you should insert them before .sawnd files and .wavs, so you don't have to struggle with offsets on your own. There are many ways of inserting these, I'll talk about Sawndz 0.072 one. In Offset of beginning field, enter the offset that should have come with the hex packet. Click Insert from Hex packets field, choose the packet you want to get in and wait till it's done.

Step 3 - Getting the smashbros_sound.brsar to work with your modded Brawl
    In this point, I have bad news for Gecko OS users. smashbros_sound.brsar can't be replaced with stable File Patch code. You need to use WiiScrubber to swap the original file with the altered brsar.
    If you're a Riivolution user, the location of where your brsar should be on your SD card is dependent on the xml you're using. Most common cases:
    - If you're using the template, it goes into SD:/ssbb/, like everything.
    - If you're using the xml for past Gecko OS users, it goes into SD:/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/sound/.

And that's all, guys. Enjoy your sounds. If something is unclear, ask away.

im curious but is it possible to turn a sawnd file, goku over falcon for example, into a hex and do it that way?

Jaklub
    Supreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »

im curious but is it possible to turn a sawnd file, goku over falcon for example, into a hex and do it that way?
    No.

Hero ©
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic PC Core Gamer Pin Collector 128-bit Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »

Sorry, but this is not something that is dependent on me. I can't create new File Patch Code because I don't have a knowledge to do so. Sawndz is only for editing, not actually using brsars.

If you don't want to touch Riivo, WiiScrubber is the way to go.

However, Beyond has made a solution for those who want to move to Riivolution, but don't want to change their files on SD card around. http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=16990
    I followed these steps and everything but when i click Launch on Riivolution, i just get a black screen and nothing else happens

Jaklub
    Supreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »

Test without any other mods then.

Hero ©
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »

Test without any other mods then.
    I tried it, and it still didn't work

Jaklub
    Supreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

Open your brsar in Smashbox and check the group after the group you replaced (like if you replaced Mario's voice, then you should check Link's as snd_group_chara_link is under snd_group_chara_mario). If none of the elements contained by it can be opened (or Smashbox displayed errors after opening the brsar with it), the pack you've inserted was wrong. Also, make sure the region matches (NTSC packs can't be used with PAL and vice versa).

BriefCasey795
    Supreme Kitten

What does one poot here?

• Awards Heart Container RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »

I noticed that there was an unused announcer call for the alloys in my NTSC-U Brsar, but I'm worried that if i Try to insert it, it will corrupt my brsar. I want to use it for my alloy's over G&W...

EDIT: Never mind. I created a backup brsar, and when i inserted it, it didn't corrupt my brsar.
    « Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:47:31 PM by Redpwnage795 » Logged

I'm back after a long while.

Hero ©
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »

Open your brsar in Smashbox and check the group after the group you replaced (like if you replaced Mario's voice, then you should check Link's as snd_group_chara_link is under snd_group_chara_mario). If none of the elements contained by it can be opened (or Smashbox displayed errors after opening the brsar with it), the pack you've inserted was wrong. Also, make sure the region matches (NTSC packs can't be used with PAL and vice versa).
    I did this and it replaced the sounds successfully but i still face the black screen after i click Launch.
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:16:50 PM by hero3120 » Logged

Jaklub
    Supreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

Run without any other mods than brsar and assure the regions really do match.

Hero ©
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:07 PM »

Ok, everything works fine now.

I just used a USB instead of a SD card and everything loads perfectly. Except the loading time which is long but then decreases a bit when you keep playing.

Thanks Jaklub for the tutorial!

That BattleToad PSA Guy
    Supreme Kitten

"STOMPIN' TIME!"

• Awards Heart Container RAGE!! Tutorial Writer Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 12:56:44 PM »

Here's a quick question: How can a make a .sawndz file using the template of an already-exisiting .sawndz file?

Formally Known As The Ant Formally Known As Flik

Jaklub
    Supreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »

Simply insert the .sawnd file into brsar, edit the group and create a new .sawnd file.

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5 6
    Print
    Jump to: