Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 40
Author Topic: My Little Pony + Brawl: Mario Kart/3D Outline Render  (Read 226165 times)
Spex130
Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #270 on: January 07, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »

The cell shading works.

It always is facing away from the screen, so far.

Pics in a second.

EDIT: Forgot, I rigged the head to be singlebound. The non-singlebound stuff still looks nice though.

I might've messed up in the the testing model I chose. A lot of it is still singlebound.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Okaaaaay. Maybe the head isn't singlebound. The Cellshading on the head works, but the metal effect doesn't.

Odd.

This was a quick rig, anyway. There's bound to be some stuff that's wrong. (I mean, the entire left arm is rigged to the elbow. Oops!)

EDIT 3: (Be glad I don't double post!)

According to my observations, an object does NOT need to be singlebound to be able to utilize cell-shading correctly, which is lucky for you Xiggah. The reason I thought the non-singlebound object wasn't working right was because of the shape. Certain objects look the same from all directions, which would make you think they don't work. They do.

All in all, you guys are lucky. Cell shading works PERFECT.

EDIT 4:

So I took my first hack, Amy Rose and (among other things) added Metal and CellShade.

Amy's model is most likely meant to be Cellshaded. It has no shading directly worked into the textures.

As it turns out, the things that hold Metal adding back don't affect Cellshading, meaning Single-Bound objects can have perfect CellShade without perfect Metal.

A little bit of experimenting and we could probably solve the imperfect Metal problem as well.

I tested on two different stages to make sure nothing was messing up. The results are below.

Pictures:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:28:05 PM by Spex130 » Logged

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #271 on: January 07, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »

Great work! That shading's is pretty good: Did you have to use the shading textures that the trophies use? Also, isn't it possible to get the lighting to follow the camera rather than the stage? I'm not sure...

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #272 on: January 07, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »

So, yes. This is Tetra's trophy's materials and shader. It works like metal. You have to import the cellshading texture and and apply it to the model using the materials.

With this straight copy and paste, it works exactly as it does on the trophy. If I made an animation that spun Amy like a trophy, we'd get the same effect.

If we wanted the effect to follow the camera like metal, I'm not sure how we would do that.

Maybe I could test out the Tingle Assist Trophy's materials. They might work how you're thinking of, following the camera and all.

EDIT: I know the Env textures work like metal textures, except they don't get called by the metal box.

I have yet to see if Env textures work on non-singlebound objects though.

Also, don't fprget that we can change the sharpness of the cell by editing the Cell texture to be a sharper or softer gradient.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:36:06 PM by Spex130 » Logged

deadname mcredactedface
    Lol Kitten

Kind of want to start making mods for this again

• Awards Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #273 on: January 07, 2012, 11:44:07 PM »

That's one sexy Amy.

I hope you work out the cell shading, because I wanna use it as well for when I finally get around to importing things.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »

So, yes. This is Tetra's trophy's materials and shader. It works like metal. You have to import the cellshading texture and and apply it to the model using the materials.

With this straight copy and paste, it works exactly as it does on the trophy. If I made an animation that spun Amy like a trophy, we'd get the same effect.

If we wanted the effect to follow the camera like metal, I'm not sure how we would do that.

Maybe I could test out the Tingle Assist Trophy's materials. They might work how you're thinking of, following the camera and all.

EDIT: I know the Env textures work like metal textures, except they don't get called by the metal box.

I have yet to see if Env textures work on non-singlebound objects though.

Also, don't fprget that we can change the sharpness of the cell by editing the Cell texture to be a sharper or softer gradient.

So this Amy uses the cell-shading gradient? If so, that's great. Even other people are interested in these lighting effects.

I was afraid of the resemblance to the metal textures requiring that we use the metal effect... but there ought to be way to use some of the metal texture effects even without metal, it would be just be the metal materials lighting effect, except without switching to the metal texture. Although I'm not sure it would work.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #275 on: January 08, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

That's one sexy Amy.

I hope you work out the cell shading, because I wanna use it as well for when I finally get around to importing things.

As of right now, this type of cell-shading is complete. Should I put up a tutorial or something?

It follows the light instead of the camera, but it's still pretty cool....

So this Amy uses the cell-shading gradient? If so, that's great. Even other people are interested in these lighting effects.

I was afraid of the resemblance to the metal textures requiring that we use the metal effect... but there ought to be way to use some of the metal texture effects even without metal, it would be just be the metal materials lighting effect, except without switching to the metal texture. Although I'm not sure it would work.

It's most certainly possible to call metal without a box, but I'm pretty sure the effect will be the same. Only singlebound objects have metal that follows the camera. Everything else pulls up the texture and keeps it stationary. (Which is what I was worried about in the beginning.)
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:35:37 AM by Spex130 » Logged

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #276 on: January 08, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »

how're the ponies coming along?? xD

i dont really like the ponies as is, but it could be something interesting to import other characters over xDDD

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

As of right now, this type of cell-shading is complete. Should I put up a tutorial or something?

It follows the light instead of the camera, but it's still pretty cool....

It's most certainly possible to call metal without a box, but I'm pretty sure the effect will be the same. Only singlebound objects have metal that follows the camera. Everything else pulls up the texture and keeps it stationary. (Which is what I was worried about in the beginning.)

Sure, a little tutorial would be great! Even if it follows the light: that's probably the more desired effect anyways.

Also... what's singlebound referring to? I don't know enough definitions  Im srs here (haha, emoticons...)

how're the ponies coming along?? xD

i dont really like the ponies as is, but it could be something interesting to import other characters over xDDD

Everything seems to be really good. I'm about to upload 3DS max animation packages, Spex is experimenting with cell-shading, and I'm even programming an Undo/Redo feature into Brawlbox, but that's not pony-related at all.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #278 on: January 08, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »

Sure, a little tutorial would be great! Even if it follows the light: that's probably the more desired effect anyways.

Also... what's singlebound referring to? I don't know enough definitions  Im srs here (haha, emoticons...)

Okay, I'll start pulling one together.

Also, singlebound means that all of the vertices in an object are bound to a single bone. Things like accessories(Belts, armor, blades) or heads are usually singlebound. Things like arms or feet usually are rigged to more than one bone.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »

Okay, I'll start pulling one together.

Also, singlebound means that all of the vertices in an object are bound to a single bone. Things like accessories(Belts, armor, blades) or heads are usually singlebound. Things like arms or feet usually are rigged to more than one bone.

Ah, singlebound is quite a bother. The entire pony model is a single object actually, so singlebound won't work for that. Maybe we'll just have to wait for full metal texture support to figure it out?

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #280 on: January 08, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »

I suppose we can make a metal that follows the light like the cellshade.

Or we can wait until BJ figures it out.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »

I suppose we can make a metal that follows the light like the cellshade.

Or we can wait until BJ figures it out.

Waiting for BJ sounds nice.

Also, I'm having some sort of... modelers block. I feel like I have to make the animation rig better before I can let others look at it and suggest how to make it better. Help me get out of this unproductive cycle!!

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

Guy: Go fourth and Brawl! Lee: Yes Guy Sensei!

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker KCMM Veteran

« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »

Off Topic: Sent u a pm Xiggah

On Topic: XD Did you get that model from Sonic Fighters? or Sonic R? It looks like a rip from Sonic Fighters XP

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #283 on: January 08, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

Waiting for BJ sounds nice.

Also, I'm having some sort of... modelers block. I feel like I have to make the animation rig better before I can let others look at it and suggest how to make it better. Help me get out of this unproductive cycle!!

On Topic: Help me help you get out of this unproductive cycle! Tell me how I can help!

Off Topic: Sent u a pm Xiggah

On Topic: XD Did you get that model from Sonic Fighters? or Sonic R? It looks like a rip from Sonic Fighters XP

Off Topic: I actually have the model from Sonic Fighters, but this is a custom model from someone on the modelers resource. I made it a bit more highpoly though.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »

On Topic: Help me help you get out of this unproductive cycle! Tell me how I can help!

Off Topic: I actually have the model from Sonic Fighters, but this is a custom model from someone on the modelers resource. I made it a bit more highpoly though.

Sonic Fighters has 3D models? I thought it was sprite-based and didn't need 3D models....

Back to topic! I'm working on the rig right now, but I'm having a hard time because I don't know what animators are looking for in a rig. I can upload the rig anytime, but how would you like it to work?

Pages:  1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 40
    Print
    Jump to: