Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: How to cut 25% off of your rigging time on humanoid Model Rigging  (Read 5243 times)
Naruto200Man
Badace Kitten

Guy: Go fourth and Brawl! Lee: Yes Guy Sensei!

• Awards Hot Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker KCMM Veteran

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: November 14, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »

Do note that I have not thoroughly tested this method yet, and I don't know how many of you guys know it already.  Im srs here But hell, it's a nice little trick so I'll post it here.

What You Need
    A Humanoid Model (preferably with two arms and two legs XD)
    3DS Max 2010 and above (if you're importing a model into brawl)
    A set of bones from brawl. or a set of bones in general :l

1: First move around your brawl characters bones to fit inside the model, I'm assuming you've done so already if you're rigging it *shrug*
    2: Click the left or right polygon for arms and legs (I don't know if it works on whole meshes yet) and right click the skin modifier AFTER you've finished rigging said arm or leg.
    3: Copy that skin modifier using right click/Copy
    4: Unclick the polygon you're working on and click the polygon on the opposite leg/arm polygon.
    5: Click on the skin modifier for the right/left leg or arm that isn't already rigged
    6: Scroll down to the toolbox where all the mirror paremiters are.
    7: Find the Mirror paste button and make sure you still have your skin modifier selected, then click Mirror Paste.

And there you go  Kirby Dance You may still have to do a little tweeking to get both sides the same(On my character I just needed to fix the foot on the pasted side) but overall it should save quite a bit of time on rigging in general.

Protoman.EXE
    Extreme Kitten

Netbattler pro.

• Awards Hot Topic Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »

....... Thank you.

*Cries man-tears*

Sig by Segtendo. Epic

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »

....... Thank you.

*Cries man-tears*

Lol go ahead and cry woman tears if you want xD

Seriously though, you may still have to fix some things up, but it would only be minor adjusting tweeks like the ones you make at the very end of rigging something.

I recomend that you have hand polygons seperate as well. Tongue

Protoman.EXE
    Extreme Kitten

Netbattler pro.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »

Still, anything that makes this extremely difficult process easier is greatly appreciated. You would;nt know how to fix glitched textures would by any chance? I imported Melee Mario but on the 2nd time i imported him he only uses 1 texture. wtf

Sig by Segtendo. Epic

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »

No

Don't move the bones to fit the model if you can help it. You have to try fitting the model to the skeleton, otherwise the animations will [censored] up.

Unless you intend to reanimate the character from scratch, in which case you're better off moving the bones to fit the model's proportions.

But since most people are making skins, it's wiser to fit the model to the skeleton, not the other way around.

Protoman.EXE
    Extreme Kitten

Netbattler pro.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »

No

Don't move the bones to fit the model if you can help it. You have to try fitting the model to the skeleton, otherwise the animations will [censored] up.

Unless you intend to reanimate the character from scratch, in which case you're better off moving the bones to fit the model's proportions.

But since most people are making skins, it's wiser to fit the model to the skeleton, not the other way around.
    I've moved some of the Finger Bones a bit and they work fine, or so i think,.... Cant really tell without those textures :[

Sig by Segtendo. Epic

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

Well, I'll be animating her from scratch at some point, I intend to psa Hinata over zelda which is why I'm using her bones.

Also, the animations won't be screwed up if I use the animation porter and an unedited zelda mdl0 to port the animations from....

Don Jon Bravo
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Boo! Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »

this method does work but sometimes they dont mirror all the weights you need to check on it. also i think we need to be able to edit our rigs in brawlbox with the movesets in action so we can perfect ourselves. Or at least be able to port animations to 3ds max so we can test our rigs. Yea im dreaming i know that.

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »

this method does work but sometimes they dont mirror all the weights you need to check on it. also i think we need to be able to edit our rigs in brawlbox with the movesets in action so we can perfect ourselves. Or at least be able to port animations to 3ds max so we can test our rigs. Yea im dreaming i know that.

Just export, import, test the rig with animations, fix the problems you see in 3ds Max, and repeat until you've fixed eveything that looked bad. That's all I do. Tongue

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

Just export, import, test the rig with animations, fix the problems you see in 3ds Max, and repeat until you've fixed eveything that looked bad. That's all I do. Tongue

That, and this trick is really only meant for arms and legs, or hands, ESPECIALLY hands!

This is coming from somebody who just spent about an hour rigging a THUMB  not impressed

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »

That, and this trick is really only meant for arms and legs, or hands, ESPECIALLY hands!

This is coming from somebody who just spent about an hour rigging a THUMB  not impressed

When I added all the bones to my mesh on my first model rig, the hands rigged perfectly, automatically. Idk how. Im srs here

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »

Eh? I know, but considering how much I had to edit zelda's skeleton to fit Hinata's model (trust me, I deformed Hinata's model as much as I could to fit Zelda's bones without making her look weird.) I just want to be sure.

The thumb actually bends pretty close to a real thumb would, cause I actually looked at how my own thumb bent and where it bent on that polygon. With that it was just a matter of tweeking percentages on the vertex control. And with me being a perfectionist, well, that's what made it take so long. Im srs here I will not settle for sub-par rigging even on my first import XP

Don Jon Bravo
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Boo! Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

Lol.  Awesome Face Yea been there done that

Naruto200Man
    Badace Kitten

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »

Lol.  Awesome Face Yea been there done that

lol The other four fingers should be a lot quicker though, not easier, just quicker Im srs here

I want her to be able to form acurate handseals with a brawl model boneset. The way the brawl characters are rigged....I just can't make them like that :l

Trust me, I tried making snake do the handseals for Chidori once...not fun... Im srs here

DoctorFlux(Mariodk)
    Never Gonna Give You Up

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Heart Container KCMM 2012 Awards Winner >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 02:31:35 AM »

awesome
    i think that will help me alot with GT Cloth/saiyan armored/SSj4 Goku and afew other imports i will do

I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: