WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Iwvi on August 03, 2014, 05:54:39 AM
You keep repeating that the tirstiper reduces polycount. It doesn't. The polycount remains the same, if it has 20,000 tris, it'll keep 20,000 tris. What it does is that it saves the triangles in a way that takes less space, in strips, hence tristripper. It's not a magic tool, it just saves a bit of space, he'd still have to optimize those huge models.
Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking too much into it.

So...sorry. :(

August 03, 2014, 06:08:39 AM #15766 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:09:55 AM by the_randomizer
Quote from: Iwvi on August 03, 2014, 05:54:39 AM
You keep repeating that the tirstiper reduces polycount. It doesn't. The polycount remains the same, if it has 20,000 tris, it'll keep 20,000 tris. What it does is that it saves the triangles in a way that takes less space, in strips, hence tristripper. It's not a magic tool, it just saves a bit of space, he'd still have to optimize those huge models.

Yeah, not gonna work out, the model is just far too complex and it was a bad idea from the start to consider it for a future project. The very nature of the model would make it so optimized it would cause quality degradation, and would look horrible. My only courses of action would be either A, miraculously learn 3D modelling (yeah right :laugh) or improve the textures on Star Fox Adventures model ;) ;D

Quote from: TheSoraKid on August 03, 2014, 06:05:28 AM
Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking too much into it.

So...sorry. :(

No worries, man, I didn't even know what it was, like, at all, I never used it before. That version of Krystal can't be salvaged unless someone else wants to look at it, but it ain't gonna be me.

Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on August 03, 2014, 05:54:24 AM

Almost done.

This model was originally a frankestein using most of the Judgement model, but as I go on, I end up building my own parts to replace the messy Judgement part.

The Torso, Shoulders, and Arms have been retextured and I remodeled the Shoulders, Arms, Torso, and Pelt from scratch to have cleaner topology, which is easier to work with and rig. It also makes the model slightly smaller in Tris/Faces too.

I remodeled the fur as well, but I'm not exactly sure how I can get the Fur on his pelt to look really good......

Only things left from the judgement model would be the face, neck, and hands.
Looking good!! I'm always hoping to see updates on your Simon upon entering this thread :D

That's good to hear.

Sorry about the lack of news this July..... had school related things taking up all my free time throughout July so I wasn't able to make progress on him in a while.


FINALLY finished optimizing this, now I just gotta rig her over ZSS
Quote from: Miacis on December 10, 2013, 04:48:45 PM
Never underestimate the power of the ass.


oh my, how many vertices?

August 04, 2014, 05:06:22 AM #15771 Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:07:21 AM by ShadowRockShoota
12,192 Vertices, which is thankfully only a little above ZSS's Vertex count (11,787), so i shouldn't have much problems
Quote from: Miacis on December 10, 2013, 04:48:45 PM
Never underestimate the power of the ass.


12 000+ is a dangerous number anyway, but ill tell you something that may help you with this:
also reduce the paralyzer's textures size, that saved my life many times with zero samus imports before

Ok I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :)
Quote from: Miacis on December 10, 2013, 04:48:45 PM
Never underestimate the power of the ass.


Quote from: Gamidame_K on August 04, 2014, 05:30:52 AM
12 000+ is a dangerous number anyway, but ill tell you something that may help you with this:
also reduce the paralyzer's textures size, that saved my life many times with zero samus imports before

Oh I think I have that no. beat with that Felicia rig from Darkstalkers that I imported over Peach, and still didn't crash the game, but it did add a little extra strain on Dolphin.  At least with the polygon count, around 16,000, but the vertex count was over 9,200 (no really :laugh: ) it was a miracle it worked with the high polygon count.

My Akuma has 17,841 faces...he just lags with usually more than 2 people.


Quote from: ShadowLuigi-NG- on August 04, 2014, 11:13:28 PM
My Akuma has 17,841 faces...he just lags with usually more than 2 people.

Does anyone know what the true limit for polygon/vertex is for any given model? I'm curious ;D

Quote from: the_randomizer on August 04, 2014, 11:46:35 PM
Does anyone know what the true limit for polygon/vertex is for any given model? I'm curious ;D
That is an interesting question, though to be honest, I believe it differs between characters since they have different file sizes, even if you used 1x1 textures to lower that part of the file size, the model would still crash at different sizes depending on who it's over. A model that works over Bowser might crash when over Toon Link, or whatever. Though knowing true vertex/polygon limits for each character would be a nice bit of information for us model importers.
I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

Quote from: StupidMarioFan1 on August 04, 2014, 11:50:21 PM
That is an interesting question, though to be honest, I believe it differs between characters since they have different file sizes, even if you used 1x1 textures to lower that part of the file size, the model would still crash at different sizes depending on who it's over. A model that works over Bowser might crash when over Toon Link, or whatever. Though knowing true vertex/polygon limits for each character would be a nice bit of information for us model importers.

I know Peach seems to have a very high limit for polygons, as my Felicia mod was 17,300 polygons and about 9,300 vertices, but it didn't crash the game. How high I can go, hard to know for sure.

I think the limit is about 18,000 before you start noticing lag. It's recommended that you keep your models at around 13,000 - 15,000 if they're high poly.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]