WIP Workshop

Started by StarWaffle, January 15, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Just messed with cap's shadow model in brawlbox



But as you can see, i've run into my shine problem again. Nooo idea what i'm doing wrong. Tried everything i've heard to try from here, and then some.

Which BrawlBox are you using for the shine?



February 17, 2016, 12:16:06 AM #19697 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:25:12 AM by Mareeo 64
0.68d. Well, I tried both that and the newest one after 0.68d didn't work the first time. This is getting real old real fast.

Oh yeah, so the poly count after optimizing in 3ds max is actually a little over 9000, not 7000 (no over 9000 joke intended). and the face points after using the "optimize meshes" function in brawlbox is a little over 16,000. So he's cutting it close. Also, having 4 Cells does cause some lag, while just 3 does not. Golden cell contributes to that lag more than the other recolors, but even with golden cell and 2 others onscreen, I didn't notice any lag until the 4th cell is added

Rule number one to optimization is to never use pro-optimizer, the result is cheap and ironically not optimal most of the time

Considering the complexity of his geometry, or lack thereof, you should be able to easily shave off another k or so. But that's irrelevant right now because you have some oddities going on with something else, as 16k facepoint count should not induce lag in most cases. Node count? Texture resolutions/formats? Vert count?

as for your spec issue I'd imagine it's an improperly set up material or/and shader, unless you've imported the ref texture as a CMPR texture as that can cause issues as well. Regardless, double-check your material and shader to make sure they're appropriately set up

Quote from: Moblin on February 17, 2016, 07:13:45 AM
Rule number one to optimization is to never use pro-optimizer, the result is cheap and ironically not optimal most of the time

Considering the complexity of his geometry, or lack thereof, you should be able to easily shave off another k or so. But that's irrelevant right now because you have some oddities going on with something else, as 16k facepoint count should not induce lag in most cases. Node count? Texture resolutions/formats? Vert count?

as for your spec issue I'd imagine it's an improperly set up material or/and shader, unless you've imported the ref texture as a CMPR texture as that can cause issues as well. Regardless, double-check your material and shader to make sure they're appropriately set up
interesting. I guess i should find a better way to optimize. Anyway, he's got 6161 vertices and 1746 nodes. i kept only three of the textures at 512x256, the rest are smaller.

As for the ref issue, i'll try making them I8

That's way too many nodes. Brawl models have around 300. With that many nodes, you'll pretty much need to rerig from scratch.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: Large Leader on February 17, 2016, 04:46:34 PM
That's way too many nodes. Brawl models have around 300. With that many nodes, you'll pretty much need to rerig from scratch.
i'm gonna have to rerig from scratch anyway since I [censored]ed up my rig just now, so it's back to square one. I really don't think this is worth it.

Quote from: Mareeo 64 on February 17, 2016, 04:52:54 PM
i'm gonna have to rerig from scratch anyway since I [censored]ed up my rig just now, so it's back to square one. I really don't think this is worth it.

Make sure you delete the skin modifier completely before re-rigging.

February 17, 2016, 05:59:25 PM #19703 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:04:48 PM by Mareeo 64
Quote from: Nanobuds on February 17, 2016, 05:49:29 PM
Make sure you delete the skin modifier completely before re-rigging.
gotcha.

Post Merge: February 17, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

While i'm redoing this, are there ways to optimize the model somewhat quickly without using prooptimizer?

I vertex weld my models now.

Hey if you want to fix the shine problem you can use BB 0.76 to see if its working properly and if not Try this:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.



Quote from: CaliKingz01 on February 17, 2016, 09:13:27 PM
Hey if you want to fix the shine problem you can use BB 0.76 to see if its working properly and if not Try this:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

yeah I had those set up like that before. Once I had all the material/ref settings right it was just making the refs I8 instead of CMPR that fixed it. Filesize didn't let me make them I8 until after I made some other textures smaller.

This time around, I'm combining the [censored] out of the textures that don't have to be seperate and I'll make the ref textures a little better.

Quote from: Tabuu Forte Akugun on February 17, 2016, 09:07:40 PM
I vertex weld my models now.
how exactly? Like setting all vertices within a certain threshold to weld together, or just going two vertices at a time throughout the whole model?

Don't worry about re-optimizing it. It should be okay. As Drog said tho your nodes are ridiculously high. Lower em and badda boom badda bing no moe lag

Usually what you wanna do to optimize poly count is quadrify your model and remove/modify edge loops. It's the quickest way AFAIK to quickly lower overall poly count without using a program specifically designed to decimate models

Quote from: Moblin on February 18, 2016, 04:07:27 AM
Don't worry about re-optimizing it. It should be okay. As Drog said tho your nodes are ridiculously high. Lower em and badda boom badda bing no moe lag

Usually what you wanna do to optimize poly count is quadrify your model and remove/modify edge loops. It's the quickest way AFAIK to quickly lower overall poly count without using a program specifically designed to decimate models
Alright, so would that be the quadrify mesh modifier? And what would I do for the edge loops part?

Quote from: Mareeo 64 on February 18, 2016, 03:11:13 PM
Alright, so would that be the quadrify mesh modifier? And what would I do for the edge loops part?

Quadrify's proper name is "Quadrangulate"

Depending on the model's topology though, it may or may not work very well. Only thing to do is give it a shot.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302