Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 ... 166
Author Topic: [Official] Project M discussion: RIP  (Read 734979 times)
Segtendo
Local Marie Fanboy
Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1995 on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »

Everyone's a critic
    i just said this in another thread...

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

• Awards Ceiling Cat 128-bit Core Gamer Featured 64-bit Core Gamer

« Reply #1996 on: July 22, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »

I've been playing my share of FE7 and FE7 hacks, and I honestly could not recognize Hector.

Collar and elbow parts of the armor are missing. The shirt sleeves are the wrong color. The color scheme of the armor/undershirt is the other way around. Gauntlets and shoes are just painted blue from what I can tell. Belts and tattered caps are unchanged.
    I'm not even sure what's going on with Ragnell. Is that a random Alondite?

Heck, the shape of all the armor parts is completely off. Were they taken from something else, or is there some official art of a redesigned Hector I'm not aware of? 'cause this looks more of a Wyvern Knight style armor than anything remotely armorknight-esque.

Marth's Sigurd costume was awesome. This looks more like "Ike stole some of Haar's armor and painted it blue." oô
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:04:41 PM by Miacis » Logged

Round and round the signature goes ~
    ~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Pik
    Holy Kitten

i like the way you die boi

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1997 on: July 22, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »

Thanks for your opinion, and yeah, the initial concept artist took some liberties with Hector's design. In the end, it's his armour with a bit of an Ike spin.

I think it's still recognizable as Hector-esque, since people on smashboards recognized him from a blurry stream feed.

There's an accurate Hector already on the vault (axe and all), I recommend you download it if you're looking for something like that.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:18:58 PM by Pik » Logged

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

« Reply #1998 on: July 22, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

Thanks for your opinion, and yeah, the initial concept artist took some liberties with Hector's design. In the end, it's his armour with a bit of an Ike spin.

I think it's still recognizable as Hector-esque, since people on smashboards recognized him from a blurry stream feed.
    Well, I'm sure "people on Smashboards" (?) would see anything with blue hair and armor and yell it's Hector. And anything with a black mantle and white hair would be Robin.

I'm not questioning the modeling quality though, I just think the design is completely off. Like, that just's beyond Awakening-esque of unrecognizable redesign. It just isn't Hector's armor at all.

If all you need is for people who have a very vague knowledge of FE games to recognize a mere color scheme from a blurry stream, then sure, go ahead. But that just seems incredibly lazy considering there's some beautiful stuff like that perfect replica of Sigurd's figurine.
    Why even bother modeling?

Edit: Not like what I'm saying is gonna change anything considering how the PMBR seems to consider this community.
    You guys probably should stop posting here altogether if you really don't care about what's being said on KCMM.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:26:54 PM by Miacis » Logged

Pik
    Holy Kitten

i like the way you die boi

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1999 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »

Edit: Not like what I'm saying is gonna change anything considering how the PMBR seems to consider this community.
    You guys probably should stop posting here altogether if you really don't care about what's being said on KCMM.

I'll address this first. I think you're ging over the fact that many of us, especially the texture artists/modelers, are part of the KCMM community itself. I can't speak for people like ds22 or Dant, but StarWaffle, Nano, Spex, and I are members of this community. So dude, we like hearing your feedback.

To the rest of your post: It boils down to artistic liberties. I understand the appeal of having an 100% accurate Hector alt, but many people could tell it was him anyway. The FE subreddit could tell, and they're big on FE. Again, there's a completely accurate Hector already on the vault if you want that.

(Also, I'm glad you liked the Sigurd alt, thanks)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:48:32 PM by Pik » Logged

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2000 on: July 22, 2014, 04:50:21 PM »

I'll address this first. I think you're ging over the fact that many of us, especially the texture artists/modelers, are part of the KCMM community itself. I can't speak for people like ds22 or Dant, but StarWaffle, Nano, Spex, and I are members of this community. So dude, we like hearing your feedback.

Well, to be perfectly honest with you, Pik. I don't think everyone on the PMBR shares your sentiment.

I personally have a problem when two of the people who are essential to a project view a community some of their members were a big part of and basically point at it and call everyone trash. How you can still stand to associate with such people is something I find hard to comprehend.

I find it even harder to comprehend that the majority of you who were KC:MM members before becoming really involved in the PMBR don't seem to bat an eye to it, and some of you even go so far seeing the KC:MM community the same way DS22 and Dant do. For what reason? Just because of the actions of one admin, or maybe an Admin and one member? Surely you see the folly here.

-if you and the rest of the art team are okay with taking feedback, be positive or negative, then alright. I believe you. Based on past actions from others in your fold, however, it seems some would rather be free of criticism or scoff at it.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:57:58 PM by Velen » Logged

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

« Reply #2001 on: July 22, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

So dude, we like hearing your feedback.
    I appreciate the effort at attempting to solve this peacefully. But sorry, I just cannot take this seriously.
    Some of the users you've named haven't exactly been subtle at this whole "backtalk, smile in public" thing, so uh... yeah. The sentiment is appreciated, but that's it.
    (Also you forgot SDoom. He's totally a big part of KC-MM too and I know he loves chatting with me.)

To the rest of your post: It boils down to artistic liberties. I understand the appeal of having an 100% accurate Hector alt, but many people could tell it was him anyway. The FE subreddit could tell, and they're big on FE. Again, there's a completely accurate Hector already on the vault if you want that.
    Well, if you tell me it's not 100% accurate... how accurate is it?

Really, please tell me, as the modeler of that "redesign", what in that alt evocates Hector. If there's been concept sketches and whatever, that means some thought has been put into it, right?

We agree that the color scheme is blue (if innacurate blue). Okay, what else in that armor looks like Hector's? Anything to explain why it's "artistic liberties" and not "just way off the mark."

(Also, I'm glad you liked the Sigurd alt, thanks)
    It really is nice, yeah. I liked that Light suit too, even if I'm not too much into Metroid stuff.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:55:16 PM by Miacis » Logged

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2002 on: July 22, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »

If I may interject... given the responses given in the past, along with the -stellar- displays of behaviour by some of the peeps in your team, you act like you want to have nothing to do with it.

Which is ironic, considering some of your top stars came -from- this community, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

SOJ
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2003 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »

Yeah, what could possibly look similar in these two pictures? I can't put my finger on it...

http://i.imgur.com/ZEkT1Iv.jpg

_Data_Drain_
    Master of the Dark Matter
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

« Reply #2004 on: July 22, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »

Yeah, what could possibly look similar in these two pictures? I can't put my finger on it...

Oh I don't know, maybe the breastplate looking different? The Shoulder armor? The arms in general? No neck armor? The boots looking different? No no no, there's NO differences here. None what so ever.

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

SOJ
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2005 on: July 22, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »

I said similar, not different. Sure there some differences, but come on...it looks NOTHING like Hector? Like you would never guess where the armor was inspired from if you saw that picture?

Miacis
    Ex-admin
    Special Access

« Reply #2006 on: July 22, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »

Nice sarcasm.

I see a pose and color scheme. That's about it. Try other poses. .w.

Ah, well now that this has been posted, I can definitely see a bit more of a resemblance. The cape is faithful to Hector's, the collar has armor, and really, the whole armor fits together instead of looking like it was pieced together from random parts. Ike's bandana is even tied so as to not distract and accentuate the differences with vanilla Ike.
    With the different facial expression, it does kinda work. Even if the armor design is still well off what you'd see in FE for armored characters. That still is way off-the mark.

So hey, I guess I'll say that it wasn't completely the designer's fault. Because there's all the things that are innacurate in the model as opposed to the concept art. And I'm not just talking about the colors here.

So... yeah, not very impressed.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:13:49 PM by Miacis » Logged

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Renowned Hacker Active Contributor Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2007 on: July 22, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »

Aside from the colors (herp derp, blue gold), breastplate (which is the same for literally almost every armored FE character), the pants (who'da guessed that they all have pants too?), and the hip things (which most characters also have), nothing else is really similar.

That and the pose. The pose was the only reason I guessed Hector correctly. Otherwise, it was just another FE themed design to me.

So...

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2008 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »

-and it seems to me that you are entirely missing the point of Mia's honest critique, as you have just made so perfectly clear to me thusly.

Yeah, we get it. The pose is similar, the armor is similar. Compare the Sigurd alt to Ike's Hector alt.

Being entirely honest: the modeling quality itself is great. When you compare the two alts however. The Hector alt just comes off as something lesser by comparison despite it's fantastic quality. Miacis wasn't critiquing just the inaccuracy of a couple parts of the model. He was critiquing the inconsistency between the two alts.

I can understand artistic liberties, but if you're going to make the Sigurd alt basically a perfect replica, why not do the same for the Hector alt?

Another thing, which is something I think the PMBR as a whole doesn't understand: Everyone here who is giving you critiques treats you as a professional team because you output alts like these, especially the custom modeled ones with a professional level of quality that matches or even rivals Nintendo's aesthetics for Brawl. So for those of us with a more discerning eye, we judge it as such.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Renowned Hacker Active Contributor Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2009 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »

It's still pretty damn similar...

@Miacis

Here is the concept sketch, in case you want to see it. It is inspired by Hector, but not 100% Hector's outfit.

I understand that it's based off Hector. But why did you guys go with a rather faithful Sigurd and then a lightly inspired Hector? Seems like a lost opportunity, at least in my opinion.

But hey, I suck at modelling. Not like I could make a better one if I tried.

Damnit, Velen's second paragraph (I think) ninja'd me.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:14:07 PM by Captain Falcon » Logged

In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Pages:  1 ... 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 ... 166
    Print
    Jump to: