Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SMRPG Weapons Factory WIP (Playtesters/Help wanted!) - Stage Revealed!  (Read 38808 times)
Peardian
Extreme Kitten

something

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 24, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »

So, after making fighters and minor characters and the Blade, I decided I'd attempt something different: making a completely custom stage.

As I'm trying to do it the proper way, I'm starting with just the layout. I tried making a rough recreation in the Brawl stage editor, but I need better feedback. That's why I'm looking for playtesters to help get the dimensions right and ensure that it is fun to play on. I was originally just going to ask a few of my friends, but I realized it would be much better to get a bunch of people here and get a better range of feedback.

I hope this is okay, but I plan to use this thread for developing the stage. I'm not going to start making the actual level geometry until I have the level design finalized, so for now I have a rough (and blocky) model of the stage that I'll use to refine the layout.

Here's a little about the stage first: it's a somewhat large stage with conveyor belts and a spring. The main gimmick to this stage is that it is steadily built up during play, and then drops away to start over. I'm hoping it will be a bit of a crazy stage when it's complete, as I don't like it when the gimmicks of a stage are purely background decorations. But for now, I want to just start with the basics.

As far as feedback goes, I'm just hoping for a good number of people to try out the stage and give me their thoughts. Are the platforms the right height? Are the platforms the right size? Is there enough space? Is the stage fun to play on? Of course, I'll need people to help when it comes to implementing more advanced stage elements (animation, etc). The theme of the stage will be kept secret until the layout has been finalized.

I've probably rambled enough, so here is a download link to the first version of the stage:

I would be very grateful if people could help!

Download:
    Weapons Factory Proto V3(Super Smash Bros Brawl stage layout test)

Weapons Factory Play-Test Release Version 3
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2gfmhoz6pla36a3

Notes:
    -Currently barebones
    -Main gimmick has been implemented
    -Platforms now move! Movement pattern isn't final, though
    -no conveyor belt movement yet
    -no spring yet, so a moving platform has been put in its place
    -placeholder graphics (but close to give you an idea)
    -put over Final Destination

Design History:

Version 1 (Scrapped)

Version 2 (Scrapped)

Version 3 (Play-Test Release 1)

Play-Test Release Version 1
    http://www.mediafire.com/?b013g9j6fe8qjz4
    -no platform animation yet
    -only Sandbags spawn
    -weird lighting (comes from below)

Play-Test Release Version 2
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sq2yl4rtgokx60a
    -spring model temporarily made into animated platform
    -lighting is betterish
    -platforms animated
    -no other gimmicks yet
    « Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:17:47 PM by Peardian » Logged

Click for my stuff:

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »

I added an image showing the layout, so that it doesn't just look like I'm asking someone to make the stage layout for me.

Also, before anyone asks, my primary concern is making the stage fun to play on, not making it tournament legal.

Click for my stuff:

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »

So...Is it a Mario stage?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »

I was going to not answer, but the item blocks give it away. Yes, it is. Tongue

I'm not entirely satisfied with the design right now, so I might create a second layout to test as well. If I do, I'd still like both of them to be tried out, for the sake of feedback. The key elements wouldn't change, just the arrangement of them and the platform shapes.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but needless to say, the thin platforms are meant to be drop-through, the platforms with arrows are meant to be conveyor belts, the boxes are item blocks, and the yellow backboard is meant to show the ideal bounce height for the spring.

Click for my stuff:

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »

Well, in stage making, there are a few things to consider. For one, if you are hoping to implement a spring somehow, then I'm sorry to say that isn't exactly possible, at the moment. There was a minor breakthrough not too long ago, but it hasn't led to anywhere quite yet. Conveyor belts, on the other hand, are possible, as far as I know. They'd be annoying to animate, though.

Another thing to consider is size. Judging from the picture, the stage will be considerably large, and from what I can tell, a majority of people don't like large stages. Your stage is reminiscent of 75m, which I know a lot of people... well, hate. XD

I think if you maybe remove some of the upper elements and focus on building the stage across one plane instead of two, it might be more cohesive. Not to say you'd need to remove the upper elements altogether, as they could be implemented as background elements or something similar to that to give it an aesthetic appeal.

Ummmm yeah, that's about all I got for now.

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »

Wait, springs aren't possible yet? I figured that with the springs being present in the stage editor and in SSE, it would be a relatively easy thing to do. Hmm... Well, that's disappointing. I guess it could just be temporarily replaced with a platform or something for the sake of playtesting.

I know it's a bit big, and there's a reason for that which I'll explain after I get the initial layout down. One of the things about this layout I'm not too happy with is that it's rather wide.  Another issue is that the starting area (red) is perfectly suited for battle, so there's not much of a reason to leave it. I'm hoping my second layout attempt will address that. It will likely be narrower, but it will still be multi-leveled for the same reason I mentioned.

On a side note, maybe I'm weird, but I really like 75m. Tongue

Click for my stuff:

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »

Yeah, most things aren't just drap-and-drop, unfortunately. Pretty much everything that characters can interact with in special ways (springs, spikes, breakable things, etc) are stored within the rel files and cannot be easily added or edited.

I think the narrower/taller approach will work out well, I think it was just the wideness that was throwing it off.

And I like 75m as well, design-wise. It's an interesting and clever stage, but... it's so big. And hard to get around. :[

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »

Hmmm. Well, I'll still consider to develop the stage with the elements in mind. I want the stage to only be limited by Brawl's full capability, not by the state of stage hacking at the moment. (Besides, the stage will be modular enough that people could work around it.)

Anyway, I made the second layout. I'm not completely satisfied with it, but it's a lot closer to what I'm aiming for. I'm hoping that testing it will help me fine-tune it. As a note, the item blocks are meant to only be there at random times, like the flowers/onions in the Distant Planet stage.

Stage Layout Version #2 (DAE)

Click for my stuff:

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »

Sorry to bump, but is anyone interested in helping me here? I can't really make any progress without this step, and I would really like to make this stage. Or any stage, really.

Click for my stuff:

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »

After thinking some, I've made a third stage layout to try. This is the first one I'm actually satisfied with, and this may be the basic layout I use.

Stage Layout Version #3 (DAE)

Click for my stuff:

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

Oooh, I like that one. It seems pretty cohesive, to me at least. I think the only thing that I find... "bothersome," I guess, for lack of a better word, is that all the conveyor thingies are up at the top in one area. But since I can't think of any way to reconcile this, I think this is a great layout to begin with.

You can always move things around if you ever change your mind, of course. :p

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

Ah, yes, there is actually a purpose for that. Part of the stage's gimmick (which I have yet to reveal) involves a platform temporarily coming down in the area between those conveyor belts. This element has always been planned, but this is the first stage layout that actually took it into account.

Click for my stuff:

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »

Ah, ok, that sounds like it would break it up nicely, good idea.

Peardian
    Extreme Kitten

something

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »

Guess what. It's time for the first play-test release!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?b013g9j6fe8qjz4

Since nobody here stepped up, I asked my friend DinnerSonic to try and import the stage for me. Several tutorials and experiments later, we now have a working version! Please read the notes below.

-The stage graphics are obviously placeholders, as is the sky. I threw it together from Blade assets I had around.
    -We tried setting things like item spawn positions, though for some reason, only Sandbags are spawning.
    -Nothing behind basic layout has been implemented. The moving platforms don't yet move, and the conveyor belts don't have any functionality.
    -Even though I have a working stage model now, I still need your help! DinnerSonic was kind enough to learn how to edit stages for first time, but I couldn't just ask him to do everything himself. I need help from someone (or some people) to get things like the moving platforms and other stage gimmicks.
    -As I mentioned before, the setting will be from a Mario game, but the exact theme will be revealed once work on the stage models begin.

So, please let me know what you think of the stage layout. Play against computers, and let me know how they do. Play with your friends and let me know what they think, too. And please please let me know if you're willing to help out in making this stage a reality!

Click for my stuff:

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »

i've actually started on my own version, which is sorta like a Halberd type version, but also has lasers/cannon balls being fired too, but doesnt affect players.

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

Pages:  [1] 2 3
    Print
    Jump to: