SMRPG Weapons Factory WIP (Playtesters/Help wanted!) - Stage Revealed!

Started by Peardian, December 24, 2012, 07:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hey, that's a nice stage project you've got going Peardian!
Just tested it out and it was pretty fun to play, even though I do prefer flat stages.
The animations felt right for the first platforms but I do think the second row(?) could appear a little bit faster.

Also, the collision for some platforms are set as ceiling type, which I'd change as it got in the way a lot really.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


The pause screen has some issues, it feels glitchy and hard to control. But you probably noticed that already.

As for the last platform, the one before the loop, I got killed both times in its animations. First when it showed up and then when it vanished.

Haven't tried it yet using items and final smash. Forgot to turn those on before testing the stage^^'

So NOW I finally have someone that has tested it!

-I'm hoping some of the gimmicks/background animations will help pad out that delay, but I may end up shortening it if that doesn't work out.
-Having the conveyor belts be solid is intentional for a number of reasons. However, the separation of the top and bottom (thus making it a bit of a ring shape) does seem to be an issue. I'm considering adding a pass-through platform between the big line of belts and the platform it connects to. See, this is why I need playtesters!
-Yeah, DinnerSonic was having difficulty with some of the more advanced camera setting stuff. Also, some of the final smash bone things might not be set right. Right now, though, I'm not too concerned with them, as I can fine-tune those once the stage design is finished.
-Yeah, sorry about the lack of cues there, until we can get some audio/visual cues in there, my advice is to make it to the platform as soon as you see it, and get off it as soon as the new platform arrives.


Thank you very much for play-testing it!
Click for my stuff:


I have tested it and I like how the stages builds itself. The only three things that I think really need work are the background (which at least in my TV it doesn't show properly, is too dark to see the purple transition...), the camera (which messes p a bit when you pause the game) and the platform on the left (I think it is very faster, the CPUs try to jump to one part of the stage from that platform and end in other part).

Quote from: Thyrus on February 12, 2013, 07:58:37 PMAlso, the collision for some platforms are set as ceiling type, which I'd change as it got in the way a lot really.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
-At first I feared I had set a floor to ceiling and you were falling through in an embarrassing manner, but it seems you mean that the bottom of something is set to ceiling, which is what we intended. Now, if that makes for good gameplay I'm not sure. I do know some people mod stages so that "ceiling" type areas use walls due to how certain moves work, but I'm newish to stage hacking, so I wasn't sure where or how I should handle that.
-I've tried to put temporary values for some Final Smash bones and the like, Lucario's Final Smash is probably the only one remotely how he should be, I quickly synced the Ice Climbers and Pikmin to that spot for now. I had hoped to investigate those more once the layout was finalized, or if we got some help. Same with the pause settings, I had tried to make pausing put the camera in the same position as the Fixed Camera view which in turn was set up to make up for the current lack of cues, but I'm not sure it worked.
-Meanwhile, as a purely visual aspect far as I can tell, the Pokémon Trainer bone is just set to where it was left and works, even if he stands on air and plummets to his doom with the stage. Hopefully I'll find a guide to help us do something more reasonable with him separate from the moving stage elements.

Quote from: GanonZack on February 12, 2013, 11:37:51 PM
The only three things that I think really need work are the background (which at least in my TV it doesn't show properly, is too dark to see the purple transition...), the camera (which messes p a bit when you pause the game) and the platform on the left (I think it is very faster, the CPUs try to jump to one part of the stage from that platform and end in other part).
-So the things that you think need work are two temporary visual elements and a temporary piece of layout, seems like a good sign! I never got to test the background on anything but a computer monitor myself, though I'm sure Peardian will touch up or outright replace it when modeling starts. The camera I'll hopefully look into more as said, and the fast platform is meant to take the place of a spring, an object I hear is getting looked into already. When you can hack springs into new stages, we'll replace it and it should work out better!
(AIM name won't fit into the slot, anyone with AIM who wishes to contact me use dinnersonic@gmail.com)

I do believe having the big line of belts to be solid a problem. Yet, maybe you guys have already some kind of idea/reason for that that I'm not seeing. And yes I was talking about the bottom of that big line of belts, DinnerSonic. Sorry for not clearing that up^^'
Anyway, switching the ceiling collisions on and off is very easy, so anyone could set it up for their preferences.

Mewtwo2000 has a camera thing tool, IDK if you are using that already, but it could be of help when fine tuning those, well, camera details.

As for the PKMN Trainer, BrawlBox can take care of that. It's all about adjusting some values to match the stage collisions so that the Trainer doesn't float around XD I don't remember where exactly at BrawlBox you could find those values, but I'm sure it wasn't hard to do at all.

Some audio/visual cue for that last platform would be great. That F-Zero stage has something like that. If you could sync a visual alert with the stage animations then that would be awesome!

Now for some advice (and I do not mean to sound rude, sorry if I do) what if you were to put this stage on hold for a while so that you could test all those details (camera, platforms, animation, cues, PKMN Trainer etc.) separately? I mean, this stage here is looking like a pretty ambitious project and maybe you could benefit from fine tuning those details one at a time before implementing them all in one stage, you know?

It might not make a whole lot of sense with the belts being ordinary platforms, but once they're in action, you'll see why they are solid. I'm still going to look into making at least part of that section pass-through, though.


Because of just how much there is to this stage, it will be a long time before it is finished, anyway. By the time all of the background pieces are implemented, we'll have ironed out the quirks with the camera and such. So yeah, don't worry too much about those. It's not the technical implementation of the stage I'm concerned with, but the layout and flow of gameplay.
Click for my stuff:


This stage looks awesome! Do you mind if I place this in my build of Project M? :)

Uh, sure, go ahead. Keep in mind this is a six-year-old prototype of a failed project, so you'll have to accept any bugs or quirks that comes with it.
Click for my stuff:


Quote from: Peardian on January 15, 2019, 12:02:17 AM
Uh, sure, go ahead. Keep in mind this is a six-year-old prototype of a failed project, so you'll have to accept any bugs or quirks that comes with it.
Thanks. It's just this stage looks really cool after checking out what was there. :)
Hope you keep up the great work on the stages! Maybe sometime, do you mind if you could teach me how to make stages? I am trying to import the models using Blender and I wanna make up some legit looking stages to fight on.

I'm probably not the right person to ask about that. You're better off asking one of the many talented stage makers here.
Click for my stuff:


Still need help peardian? I was just passing by. You can always contact me on discord for stage help if you ever need it.