Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Setting up Brawl Mods to use with Dolphin Emulator  (Read 58531 times)
KingJigglypuff
Meme Machine
Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « on: January 18, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »

From another thread I wrote this in, I decided to make a separate thread with what I wrote, just so people will have a general go to place to learn how to set up Brawl mods for use with Dolphin.

You need the following, alongside your folders set up.

Virtual SD Card Maker: https://sites.google.com/site/anon4453/tools/easy-dolphin-sdcard-maker
    WinImage: http://www.winimage.com/download.htm
    Gecko OS: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS
    A later version of Dolphin Emulator: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/
    NUS Downloader: https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/nusdownloader/NUSDownloader_v19.zip

1.) Create a Virtual SD Card using the Virtual SD Card Maker program. You can go as low as 64 MB or as high as 2 GB, though 2 GB is highly recommended (I believe you can use a cmd function to make the file over 2 GB, but this is just for the basics). Make sure the file produced is named sd.raw and place the file under "C:\Users\*Name*\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii". If there's already an sd.raw file in there, delete it before inserting your newly created file.

2.) Open WinImage and open your sd.raw with it. At this point, you should have all of your files, codes, and Gecko OS inside their respective folders as if you were going to use a Wii. You would also place everything into a dummy folder (Just create a new folder and put everything in it). In WinImage, go to Image > Inject a Folder and search for your dummy folder before injecting it. Save and close afterward. You'll also need to place the boot.elf file from Gecko OS into a folder of your choice.

3.) Open NUS Downloader, go to Database > IOS > 00000000 10000024 - IOS 36 > Latest Version, and make sure the "Pack WAD" option is enabled before starting the NUS download (you can click on the floppy disk icon to choose the location it'll be saved to).

Note: If you dumped your NAND and are using it with your Dolphin build, then you don't need to download and install IOS 36, since it was more than likely already installed into your Wii's NAND prior to dumping, in which you can skip this step and go straight to Step 5.

4.) Open Dolphin, and go to Tools > Install WAD and open the IOS 36 WAD you downloaded from Step 3 with it.

5.) Once you've installed IOS 36, right click on your Brawl ISO entry before clicking on "Set as Default IS0." After that, open up Config, go to Wii, and make sure Insert SD is enabled.

6.) To boot modded Brawl though Dolphin, you can do one of two things. Though before starting the game, make sure you configure Gecko's Hook Type to be AXNextFrame.

6a.) Click Open before searching for your saved boot.elf file.

6b.) Browse for the folder that contains your saved boot.elf like if you're going to add a new IS0. This entry will stay in your Dolphin window for quicker access.

If there's anything else that needs to be added, let me know, and I'll update with misc information/fixes.
    « Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:29:19 AM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

Brawl R&D // Dolphin Emulator Dev

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Sniper Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:49 AM »

FYI, Dolphin originally needed IOS 36 for Gecko OS. Then there was a time it didn't. IOS 36 is now needed again. See https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/10663 for more information.

Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
    I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 10, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »

I'm using 5.0-6112, and I personally haven't ran into this issue. I read from your post that you have 5.0-2712, so I'd recommend you update your Dolphin.

Though it could be from me dumping my own Wii's NAND or something.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:15:57 PM »

A Wii NAND dump should include IOS 36 so that will avoid the problem altogether. Users without a NAND dump will need to manually install IOS 36 on Dolphin 5.0-5934 and later. There was also a time before 5.0-5934 when IOS 36 was unneeded but that relied on guesswork that caused a lot of unwanted problems.

I am aware that the netplay community likes to set specific builds for players to use but this information should be stated here in the event of updating their suggested build.

Also, I'm not sure where the 5.0-2712 information came from but I use the latest Dolphin Development version (5.0-6179 at the time of writing this) and update frequently. I updated my forum signature since this isn't the first time I've posted information about Dolphin.
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:32:43 PM by Ebola16 » Logged

I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 10, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »

The reason I made the assumption you were using Dolphin 5.0-2712 was from the Dolphin bug report page you linked. The username contained the word "ebola", so I guessed it could have been you.

Thanks for the correction though. I'll update the original post with this information.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »

It'd probably be best to specify that the need for IOS 36 is for getting Gecko OS to work in your OP: "It appears that you once again need to have IOS 36 installed in Dolphin for Gecko OS to work."

And I'm the same person who made the previously linked report but I update my Dolphin builds frequently.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »

Consider it done.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

dRage
    Global Moderator

• Awards Famous Hacker Fiery Topic KCMM Old Timer Pin Collector

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 05:50:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure it isn't required on the stable release of 5.0, though. I walked someone through the process of setting up mods on Dolphin 5.0 who hadn't used Dolphin before (and clearly doesn't have a NAND dump). Worked just fine for him.

EDIT: Tried out 5.0-6208. Installed IOS36 but Dolphin spits out an error message upon trying to load Gecko OS 'Invalid read from 0x0000000c, PC = 0x80e4ee9c' which keeps popping up after closing it, forcing me to end Dolphin's process.

Guess I'm sticking with 5.0.
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:52:46 PM by dRage » Logged

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »

I believe 5.0 stable used guesswork to make installing IOS 36 unnecessary. That guesswork broke parts of the system menu and likely other things.

It sounds like you're running into issues Gecko OS not loading properly and Streams of Panic Handlers are basically a softlock.

The "Invalid read" messages sometimes appear when I start Gecko OS but the problem has already been documented in the above links. A workaround in Dolphin is to go to Config -> Interface tab -> uncheck "Use Panic Handlers"

This disables panic handlers but we don't want users to do that unless they really need to as panic handlers can provide helpful information for freezes and crashes.

Also, if you're experiencing freezes or crashes after disabling panic handlers then something else in your setup is probably the problem.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 08:28:27 AM »

6 month old necro, I know, but I've since updated the OP to add instructions on how to download and install IOS 36 into your Dolphin (snagged from a thread on the Dolphin Forums). However, if you've dumped your NAND and are using it with your Dolphin, then you don't need to follow the additional step, as IOS 36 is already present.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Pixelluca
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »

I could follow most of this fairly easily, but I don't know what you mean with "At this point, you should have all of your files, codes, and Gecko OS inside their respective folders as if you were going to use a Wii". I tried searching on google, but all the tutorials I found were either very old or weren't that clear to me. Can you explain this to me please?

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »

You would set up your apps, private, and codes folders as if you were going to use them on an actual SD card.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Pixelluca
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 03:46:30 AM »

That is what my problem is; I don't know which files go where, and some tutorials I found on the internet talked about files which I don't have.
    sorry if this is actually pretty easy to solve, but this is my first time modding.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »

Two files I forgot to mention would be gameconfig.txt and config.dat (this is usually auto-generated when configuring GeckoOS), which both go into the root of the SD card.

Your RSBE01.gct goes inside the codes folder (at bare minimum, you must at least have the File Patch code to allow mod usage), GeckoOS goes inside the apps folder, and your mods go into private > wii > app > rsbe > pf (for Project M, the folder path is projectm > pf) with the branching folder structure depending on the type of mod you want to install.

For example, if you wanted to replace Mario's default model, your FitMario00.pac and FitMario00.pcs files would go inside private > wii > app > rsbe > pf > fighter > mario (for ProjectM, it would be projectm > pf > fighter > mario).

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: