Brawlbox Resources & History

Started by BlackJax96, December 14, 2010, 03:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

When are rotating and shrinking/expanding vertices going to be features?
The vertex editor is great by the way. I made a model the other day using it and it's a lot simpler than having to import, export, maxscript, donkeybox. I love how you've integrated it straight into Brawlbox.

Rendering shaders within the model previewer is definitely a must for the next update, though I'll let the poll decide and BJ himself implement it whenever he wants.
Skype - alphamariox

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/ALPHAMARIOX

Steam - ALPHAMARIOX

Quote from: Flutterbombsexmachine on July 18, 2013, 01:16:16 PM
When are rotating and shrinking/expanding vertices going to be features?
The vertex editor is great by the way. I made a model the other day using it and it's a lot simpler than having to import, export, maxscript, donkeybox. I love how you've integrated it straight into Brawlbox.
your post...
I leik it... :3

it make me feel like turning UMC's viewer into an editor even sooner

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

July 18, 2013, 05:17:43 PM #14958 Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:24:11 PM by Young Lad
Hey guys, in about a year (when I'm going into senior year in HS) I'm planning to cease my developments on Brawltools (Brawlbox and Ikarus) and move on to making my own game.

I'm just saying this now so it's not a surprise.
I'll probably stick around the forums, but I want to cut my ties with Brawl modding soon.
Nothing lasts forever. :)
I'm not sure of the exact day I'll stop right now, but it'll be sometime at the end of next summer.

Until then, though, I'll try my best to implement the four things on the poll in the order that you all voted and support all characters in Ikarus with a few more helpful features than Brawlbox, PSA and Tabuu all have to offer right now.



ANYWAY, onto the game I'll be developing in the future, if you're interested in knowing or helping me develop it:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


I want buildings EXPLODING! cars FLYING! SHOOTING! FLYING! POWER UPS! bombs! FINAL SMASHES! hidden areas! and of course tits to top it off

I'm planning on using C++ and UDK3. I'm going to start next year because it'll probably take me all through senior year and college to make it, if not a bit longer. But I have to start my career somewhere, and I want to start BIG early. I can't spend all this time waiting to be specifically educated in the last two years of college; that's what every one else does! :P

However, since the game will have so many copyrighted characters in it, I'm not sure if I can sell it. If any characters get permission, though, I have a backup plan: offer characters/stages I can't get permission to sell with the game as free downloads that you add on to the game after you've bought it. GENIUS

Right now it seems like I'll be doing it all myself (which is crazy, but I'm willing).
So I was wondering. Is there anybody here who would like to help me make this game? Or do any of you know anybody who would like to help?
nobody likes anime and making games together, especially for free ;-;

I would like to have extra modelers, texturers, animators, riggers, programmers, extra anything helps just to split out the work load a bit, but I would like the keep the quality level of everything at a certain level. Heck, if you even just wanted to write out a moveset for the characters I have planned, even THAT would help.

I don't have any source of income right now (although I might in the future, and I'd split it with anyone helping), so the work would probably have to be done for free, but... I think the end result would be worth it for sure. And I've provided you guys with Brawlbox for the last 3 years, haven't I? :)


Note: donations motivate me to do anything and everything much faster. ;o

Quote from: Flutterbombsexmachine on July 18, 2013, 01:16:16 PM
When are rotating and shrinking/expanding vertices going to be features?
The vertex editor is great by the way. I made a model the other day using it and it's a lot simpler than having to import, export, maxscript, donkeybox. I love how you've integrated it straight into Brawlbox.

ASAP, and thank you :3
That was probably one of the hardest coding challenges I've had so far, and it turned out great.

Quote from: ALPHAMARIOX - Lee Harrold on July 18, 2013, 01:22:19 PM
Rendering shaders within the model previewer is definitely a must for the next update, though I'll let the poll decide and BJ himself implement it whenever he wants.

It sounds like I'm implementing that and the tristripper in the next major update (v0.69) :O

Quote from: jimbo1qaz on July 17, 2013, 10:54:37 PM
What versions of 3ds are confirmed to import successfully to BrawlBox? I tried making BRRESes several times and they crashed in-game each time when I tried to run them in MKWii.

3ds Max 2014 has a working Collada exporter right off the bat. It's what I use now.
You might be missing a few steps to get the model working in-game though. Not that I'd know for sure, I don't mod MKWii.

July 18, 2013, 05:26:56 PM #14959 Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:28:54 PM by Spex130
Hi. A few years of video-game development here. (And 3-4 years character modeling, about 8 in animation).

I can help with most of those tasks. (I'm a jack-of-all-trades around here anyways...)

I don't care about getting paid. Really. That's boring. Making games is the fun part.

I'll help. So contact me, yeah? Sounds like Power Stone. Except, current-gen.

And no. You won't be able to sell the game. Not with copyrighted characters. You might want to pull an Anti-SSB64 or a Fighting is Magic and just replace all the characters with similar types though. Anyways, if you'll accept, I'm in.


I had a feeling you'd post
You're in! I'll contact you later today with specifics. Got Skype or revived MSN?
You can probably help me out with some planning.

Quote from: Young Lad on July 18, 2013, 05:31:01 PM
I had a feeling you'd post
You're in! I'll contact you later today with specifics. Got Skype or revived MSN?
You can probably help me out with some planning.

Woot! I'd be surprised if you didn't see that coming, really.

I do have a Skype, but I use it on average once every 3 months. (AKA, whenever someone PMs me here to get on.) You'll have to teach me how to add people on it.


July 18, 2013, 06:06:48 PM #14962 Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:07:48 PM by ALPHAMARIOX - Lee Harrold
Quote from: Young Lad on July 18, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
It sounds like I'm implementing that and the tristripper in the next major update (v0.69) :O

No worries, mate.

Post Merge: July 18, 2013, 06:07:47 PM

Quote from: Young Lad on July 18, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
It sounds like I'm implementing that and the tristripper in the next major update (v0.69) :O

No worries, mate. I guess it's better to give them what they want. XD
Skype - alphamariox

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/ALPHAMARIOX

Steam - ALPHAMARIOX

Ok, I just came up with a good idea. We can develop the game with our own custom characters and stages, and then if possible, create free DLC of characters and stages from actual animes. It sounds like that would work, since the game is entirely independent of said copyrighted characters.

But what do I know about copyrights. :'( We'll have to research it.

Quote from: ALPHAMARIOX - Lee Harrold on July 18, 2013, 06:06:48 PMNo worries, mate. I guess it's better to give them what they want. XD

Well, I want it too :3

Quote from: Young Lad on July 18, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
*Young Lad's game reveal he's been teasing at*
Well that happened sooner than I expected. I didn't expect you to come right out and say within atleast a week of thinking about it and saying "YEAH IT'S HAPPENING."

Quote from: Young Lad on July 18, 2013, 06:08:35 PM
Ok, I just came up with a good idea. We can develop the game with our own custom characters and stages, and then if possible, create free DLC of characters and stages from actual animes. It sounds like that would work, since the game is entirely independent of said copyrighted characters.
Sounds like something the game's modding community would do if it would get one... If it's the Game Developers making mods for their own game... But it's not "actually" part of the game, what the heck is it? Addon? DLC? Official Modification?

You know very well I would help if I could, but I lack the skills you obviously require outside of having my support. I could try to learn a couple things before the year is through but I have nothing on my plate atm as a base. So yeaaaaaaah...
*cough*Celesteon as a enemy group*cough*
[move][/move]

Quote from: Tawa Hoda on July 18, 2013, 08:11:10 PM
Well that happened sooner than I expected. I didn't expect you to come right out and say within atleast a week of thinking about it and saying "YEAH IT'S HAPPENING."
Sounds like something the game's modding community would do if it would get one... If it's the Game Developers making mods for their own game... But it's not "actually" part of the game, what the heck is it? Addon? DLC? Official Modification?

You know very well I would help if I could, but I lack the skills you obviously require outside of having my support. I could try to learn a couple things before the year is through but I have nothing on my plate atm as a base. So yeaaaaaaah...
*cough*Celesteon as a enemy group*cough*

I've been thinking about it for like, a year now.
Free DLC

July 18, 2013, 08:47:32 PM #14966 Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:48:46 PM by Tawa Hoda
Quote from: Young Lad on July 18, 2013, 08:38:58 PM
Free DLC
Doesn't DLC still require permission from the original creators of said content/characters/series?
If it is DLC I'm making reasonable guess you would release 1 or 2 characters a month instead of all of them at the same time.
Because dat overload, obviously.
[move][/move]

Quote from: Tawa Hoda on July 18, 2013, 08:47:32 PM
Doesn't DLC still require permission from the original creators of said content/characters/series?

It probably does, but I'm willing to get permission.
But if I got permission, I might as well sell them with the game.

So that's why I said Free DLC. If we can't do Free DLC without permission, at least we still have a sellable game.

if it isn't free it sux >=3

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Sounds like it'd be a really good game if you could pull it off. I'm not doubting your skills but I know how hard games are to make, I've been doing a uni course on making games for 2 years now and a lot of work goes into it.