Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 992 993 994 [995] 996 997 998 ... 1046
Author Topic: Brawlbox Resources & History  (Read 3906161 times)
thegameexplorer
Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
« Reply #14910 on: July 16, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »

Better DAE support?
<shot>

Will the tristripper interfere with Mario Kart Wii?
No?

DarkPikachu
Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container KCMM Veteran Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14911 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »

for those who wish to know what the tri-stripper will do, see the spoiler:
    5 triangles

current brawlbox:
    90 000F (15 facepoints)

after tristripper:
    98 0007 (7 facepoints (max reduction))

NOTE: I can't garuntee that result every time for 5 triangles due to how Triangle Strips work

here's the demonstration:
    7 facepoints, 5 triangles:

search up triangle strips on google-images for a graphical demonstration. Wink

Quote: Friedslick6
    you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
    But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
    you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
    You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Keromonkey
    Hyper Kitten

Working on Indie Game: Q'Redux (on Steam)

• Awards Hot Topic Favorite'd Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #14912 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »

BrawlBox is an essential tool. Thank you for all your hard work, Blackjax. (Just wanted to say that cuz your avatar looks burnt out, lol).

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14913 on: July 16, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »

for those who wish to know what the tri-stripper will do, see the spoiler:
    5 triangles

current brawlbox:
    90 000F (15 facepoints)

after tristripper:
    98 0007 (7 facepoints (max reduction))

NOTE: I can't garuntee that result every time for 5 triangles due to how Triangle Strips work

here's the demonstration:
    7 facepoints, 5 triangles:

search up triangle strips on google-images for a graphical demonstration. Wink

Just to add it should also fix the split UVs which reduces the texture calls to what's necessary.

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14914 on: July 16, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »

Just to add it should also fix the split UVs which reduces the texture calls to what's necessary.

That's not a problem with the MDL0. How many times am I going to have to say this?
    It was a problem with the DAE exporter, and it's fixed in v0.68d. So stop bringing it up.

BrawlBox is an essential tool. Thank you for all your hard work, Blackjax. (Just wanted to say that cuz your avatar looks burnt out, lol).

Thanks

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14915 on: July 16, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »

That's not a problem with the MDL0. How many times am I going to have to say this?
    It was a problem with the DAE exporter, and it's fixed in v0.68d. So stop bringing it up.

Thanks
    I don't think he's talking about DAE BJ... :/

@Eternal: this just lowers the amount of total facepoints in the object,
    and also reduces the calls made to verts, normals, colors, UVs, NBTs etc...

the biggest performance increase will be less calls to the XF matrix stack which will greatly reduce transformation calculations. Wink

you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.

you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14916 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:25 PM »

I don't think he's talking about DAE BJ... :/

@Eternal: this just lowers the amount of total facepoints in the object,
    and also reduces the calls made to verts, normals, colors, UVs, NBTs etc...

the biggest performance increase will be less calls to the XF matrix stack which will greatly reduce transformation calculations. Wink

I know he's not. He's talking about something that Vaanrose said, but UVs are always split in the MDL0. The "problem" that was thought to be there isn't the problem. There's no way to "join" them, that's just not how they're stored.

There's a UV index for every facepoint, and there's 3 facepoints for every triangle. So if there's only triangle primitives, and you have, say, a cube, then there's SIX calls for the same UV point.

The DAE exporter used to not remap facepoints, so you'd get 6 calls of same UV instead of just one. But now the exporter remaps everything so individual points only appear once, and 3ds Max reads them as joined, not split.

Anyway, the tristripper will reduce the amount of facepoint calls, which is what's making the game lag. The lag isn't caused by "split UVs", it's caused by a [censored]ing huge amount of facepoints in each object.

I'm using a cube right now as a test for the tristripper (12 vertices), and it uses 36 facepoints. A facepoint is the equivalent of a vertex, so there's 36 vertices for just a cube. That's nuts, and that's why "high poly" models lag.

Oh and the tristripper is coming along well.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:12:42 PM by Young Lad » Logged

DarkPikachu
    Angel Kitten

complexity == fun

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14917 on: July 16, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »

BJ... everything you've just put there was confusing as crap XDD
    no offence meant or anything Smiley

but yea, a cube has 8 vertices, not 12...
    shoot... I would know 9_9
    lol

anyways
    if a cube is nothing but triangles that would be 6 facepoints for each side of the cube...
    36 facepoints
    and yes, in "True" modelling terms a facepoint is called a vertex
    but that changes vertices to positions among other confusing terms...

also
    you can use the direct implamentation to put the vert right in the facepoint, instead of indexing to it...

the .RAW triangle format stores all data just like this...
    though I havn't actually seen a Nintendo example yet...
    (probably because this method is considered inefficient)
     ^ performance is increased as you don't have to take the extra step of indexing, but file size is also increased due to duplicate data...

EDIT:
    I'm afraid I'm not comprehending what you mean by "split UVs" in the MDL0

how I understand that is a vertex (position) being shared among 2 seperate UVs...

UV
        /
    vert
        \
         UV
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:57:55 PM by DarkPika » Logged

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #14918 on: July 17, 2013, 12:33:11 AM »

Tristripper's comin along nicely?
    Can't wait for some higher-quality hacks.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14919 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »

haha hope it does work w/o any errors soon... gives me a chance to redo some high-poly models w/o doing ProOptimizer at first, let BB do it first then export to 3ds max and lower it a bit more from there, highly doubt i'd need to do that 2nd part tho :p

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14920 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »

Oh yeah a cube does only have 8 vertices. Then why does this cube I'm testing have 12? It's not because a side isn't attached to the others, because BB remaps vertices by influence and position. Im srs here

Anyway yeah it sounds confusing because it is and I'd rather not explain primitives all in-depth and whatnot so you guys just gotta take my word for stuff. The lag has nothing do with UVs and that's it.

And no, you're still going to want to optimize models even with the tristripper. There'll just be a bit more lenience on the vertex count.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14921 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:50 AM »

You know that Transform All Button that never worked? The problem with that might be a simple logic error that requires debugging to catch.

Just...Something I experienced with my programming class I took during the Spring semester...A lot.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:43:41 AM by Velen » Logged

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14922 on: July 17, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »

You know that Transform All Button that never worked? The problem with that might be a simple logic error that requires debugging to catch.

Just...Something I experienced with my programming class I took during the Spring semester...A lot.

I am glad that you learned that; however, you would've been better off not mentioning it to someone who's already been programming for a few years now as it was very derp-worthy. Did you think I've been sifting around code manually looking for bugs that need to be fixed this whole time? XD

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14923 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »

I am glad that you learned that; however, you would've been better off not mentioning it to someone who's already been programming for a few years now as it was very derp-worthy. Did you think I've been sifting around code manually looking for bugs that need to be fixed this whole time? XD

No. What I said wasn't derp-worthy because I'm not an unaware of your skill as you think. I was just making mention of the fact the problem with that function probably has a lot a do with a logic error somewhere in the copy and paste algorithm.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14924 on: July 17, 2013, 01:50:06 AM »

No. What I said wasn't derp-worthy because I'm not an unaware of your skill as you think. I was just making mention of the fact the problem with that function probably has a lot a do with a logic error somewhere in the copy and paste algorithm.

Yeah well you know how some foods spoil if you leave them sitting around for too long? It turns out that this error can be remedied by putting them in a cold device called a refrigerator. This can prolong the life of said foods.

Pages:  1 ... 992 993 994 [995] 996 997 998 ... 1046
    Print
    Jump to: