Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

August 17, 2012, 01:28:19 AM #2235 Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:10:51 AM by Segtendo
Recently, a user has been bumping old request threads. Now, before you go off and tell me that those sections are off-limits for warnings and such, this guy has been bumping a bunch of them. The thing is, sometimes, he's been posting in request threads that have been dead for over a year. :srs:

Want proof? Check "Texture Requests."

But the point of my post is: can we add a rule/edit a rule about necroposting there? He seemed to be taking advantage of the rule where it says that:
Quote from: KC:MM Rules
Exemptions from necroposting:

    Stickied topics.
    Request threads.
    "General" threads in Off-Topic.
    Any thread in Forum Games.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


Quote from: StarWaffle on August 16, 2012, 08:37:34 PM
Oh okay, that's okay. I'll just stay thankful for not being able to see the forum games.
Hahahahahhahahahaha how do I join this group?


August 17, 2012, 03:59:09 AM #2237 Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:00:18 AM by Zelia
Quote from: Segtendo on August 17, 2012, 01:28:19 AM
Recently, a user has been bumping old request threads. Now, before you go off and tell me that those sections are off-limits for warnings and such, this guy has been bumping a bunch of them. The thing is, sometimes, he's been posting in request threads that have been dead for over a year. :srs:

Want proof? Check "Texture Requests."

But the point of my post is: can we add a rule/edit a rule about necroposting there? He seemed to be taking advantage of the rule where it says that:
Hmmm... I see the point in this post. I don't know why a person will post in a thread that has been dead for along time. I mean mostly all of the texture requests threads are really old and their conversations ended...
✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿


August 17, 2012, 05:06:44 AM #2239 Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:07:56 AM by Kienamaru
I think it would be better to delete everything that's been dead over a year... or is that

a. Impossible
b. too much work

Post Merge: August 17, 2012, 05:07:29 AM

because it would be dirtier than a cesspool if you guys made a new rule and then warned the guy for doing something that wasn't wrong when he did it.
Young Link recently broke 3000 downloads. If you haven't already, Check it out!

Recently released: Sacred/Fusion Dark Interloper Link.

What ever happened to Tifa?

on your topic:
I`d agree with that if the thread no longer serves a purpose.
Unlike my mdl0/dat resource threads...
(still want those pinned btw plz)

Those have been dead for months now, but their purpose is for info.

Now for my topic:
I ask that you please disable post merging for user threads.
Or at least give them the option to disable it.

It obviously can be done as users have the option of deleting their own threads >_>

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

... Uh, deleting old threads isn't a good idea at all.

The rule for necroposting exist, which consists on not allowing old threads being bumped if they're not bumped by the creator. Now, move on. :P

? Can I ask what would happen if an old dead request from page 47 were to be deleted, what the harm would be?
Young Link recently broke 3000 downloads. If you haven't already, Check it out!

Recently released: Sacred/Fusion Dark Interloper Link.

What ever happened to Tifa?

Quote from: Kienamaru on August 17, 2012, 01:00:19 PM
? Can I ask what would happen if an old dead request from page 47 were to be deleted, what the harm would be?
None, but are you expecting the Staff to wipe out 30 pages of old threads from every section one by one? Not gonna happen. Plus, there's no harm in keeping them, whatever.

Alright then, but if i were staff I'd do it. Keeps things organized and stops (other) people from wasting time.
Young Link recently broke 3000 downloads. If you haven't already, Check it out!

Recently released: Sacred/Fusion Dark Interloper Link.

What ever happened to Tifa?

August 17, 2012, 02:23:58 PM #2245 Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:24:49 PM by Albafika
Quote from: Kienamaru on August 17, 2012, 01:08:18 PM
Alright then, but if i were staff I'd do it. Keeps things organized and stops (other) people from wasting time.
Then you'd be doing wrong as a Staff, if you did that.

That's not organizing, organizing is keeping on its section, which we're doing. Forums that delete old stuff suck, as they either do it for some host's limitations or bandwidth issues. There's always important information stuck on old threads when one does a Google Search for the board, among other things. And in this board,  we also have the Award system for post counts (Which people seem to enjoy), does that rings a bell? So yeah, if you were a Staff you'd think before taking action.

Quote from: Tcll on August 17, 2012, 11:35:13 AM
It obviously can be done as users have the option of deleting their own threads >_>
You can remove that 'obviously'. Deleting your threads is something permission-based. The automerge is a separate mod that does not add any permissions.
Of course, it could be tweaked to add some, but I do believe Vyse has more urgent things to code right now.
That, and there's also the fact nobody seems to have a problem with the automerge other than you. >_>;
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Quote from: Miacis on August 17, 2012, 02:39:46 PM
That, and there's also the fact nobody seems to have a problem with the automerge other than you. >_>;
Adding to this, a good work around to the auto merge is to delete your last post and make a new one with both posts included. I do this a lot.

Well I never said I would do it without asking all the other staff first. Anyway, I guess I'll come back  next time I get an idea.
Young Link recently broke 3000 downloads. If you haven't already, Check it out!

Recently released: Sacred/Fusion Dark Interloper Link.

What ever happened to Tifa?

I could delete my last post, yes...
If i was on a compy, or could copy/paste...
(is currently on a horrible phone)

OT: anyone else have a Net10 phone??
Their network is godly but their browser is horrible D:

Anyways... Back on topic

The only workaround I see is asking someone else to post,
Then delete their post after you post...

@Maicis: dude you really gotta let that 1 person thing go /:

If one person has a beef with your forum`s behavior, it matters alot and should be looked at.
(I tell you that from my own experiance)


Getting off of that though...
I won`t complain if you tell me it is or will be WIP.
I can understand if a coder is in a horrible position...
(me, BJ, or Toomai... *cough cough*)

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.