WIP PSA Workshop

Started by KingJigglypuff, June 16, 2012, 04:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Stickied threads are exempt from the necroposting rules.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

June 26, 2015, 02:58:58 PM #1951 Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:25:52 PM by Mortimer
Quote from: BraveDragonWolf on June 25, 2015, 08:43:28 PM
Is "Necro Posting" a thing here in the workshop?

Anyway,
I've been working on this and it still needs some fluid looping...
I don't know if I can do these animations alone.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.



I'll tell you the way I do those kind of animations. May not be the best way, but it works for me. You must imagine your animation's movement like a sine wave. This animation has an average point where she floats, and you should make that point your first and last frame, so it will help making the interpolation smoother.
For example, let's say this animation has 60 frames, and her average Y position is 5. You must make her translate the same amount in +Y and in -Y in the same amount of time, considering the loop. So you would have to make this:
Frame 01: Y = 5
Frame 15: Y = 8 (=5+3)
Frame 45: Y = 2 (=5-3)
Frame 60: Y = 5

This works with several bones, translations and rotations. You should never start in one of the extremes (Y=8 or Y=2), or this kind of stuff may happen. Well, not that you can't, but you must be aware of how you'll have to animate it to make things smoother. What she is doing is Y=2, Y=5, Y=2, Y=5. The movement graphic would be full of peaks. That's what you are seeing there, an abrupt change.
And, obviously, this depends on what you want to do. Not sure if I explained well this.

Quote from: Mortimer on June 26, 2015, 02:58:58 PM

I'll tell you the way I do those kind of animations. May not be the best way, but it works for me. You must imagine your animation's movement like a sine wave. This animation has an average point where she floats, and you should make that point your first and last frame, so it will help making the interpolation smoother.
For example, let's say this animation has 60 frames, and her average Y position is 5. You must make her translate the same amount in +Y and in -Y in the same amount of time, considering the loop. So you would have to make this:
Frame 01: Y = 5
Frame 15: Y = 8 (=5+3)
Frame 45: Y = 2 (=5-3)
Frame 60: Y = 5

This works with several bones, translations and rotations. You should never start in one of the extremes (Y=8 or Y=2), or this kind of stuff may happen.
And, obviously, this depends on what you want to do. Not sure if I explained well this.

Hmm...I'll try to keep this in mind, and I'll post an update if I have succeeded.

June 26, 2015, 04:31:08 PM #1953 Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:39:57 PM by A Bloody Canadian
Quote from: BraveDragonWolf on June 25, 2015, 08:43:28 PM
Is "Necro Posting" a thing here in the workshop?

Anyway,
I've been working on this and it still needs some fluid looping...
I don't know if I can do these animations alone.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Use BrawBox's Average Start/End Frames. It'll smooth out the loops for you by averaging the interpolation at the 1st and last keyframes.

Furthermore, there are a few things about this I feel like you need to fix. Your Follow through and Overlapping Action on the arms legs and head need work. I could go into detail on that if you'd like.

This goes to all animators looking at this, interpolation is important. It's not a matter of where to place keys, but it is also a matter of how keys transition from one to the next.

Just to do something different after 5-6 months of Ridley PSA, i decided to handle something new, but still from Metroid.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Shoulders aren't moving here because the model wasn't properly rigged here. Its not mine of course. It was made by russmarrs2. The main issue here is that i don't have Dark Samus' animations to use as references for animations like i did with Ridley, so, i'll have to improvise a lot more. I used "average all keyframes" thing for animation above, but there is no difference.

Quote from: R̢i҉̴̛͜d̷̕҉̴l̨̧͠͡e͘͜͠y̴̶͡͠͞ on July 16, 2015, 04:23:42 AM
Just to do something different after 5-6 months of Ridley PSA, i decided to handle something new, but still from Metroid.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Shoulders aren't moving here because the model wasn't properly rigged here. Its not mine of course. It was made by russmarrs2. The main issue here is that i don't have Dark Samus' animations to use as references for animations like i did with Ridley, so, i'll have to improvise a lot more. I used "average all keyframes" thing for animation above, but there is no difference.

I would recommend de-synchronizing the movement of the legs slightly, same with the arms, and maybe the fingers on the hand, and add a slight bit more rotational movement on the arm cannon.

Like make the tip of Dark Samus' cannon draw a circle in the air.

Should make that animation look even better.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: Velen on July 16, 2015, 05:55:48 AM
I would recommend de-synchronizing the movement of the legs slightly, same with the arms, and maybe the fingers on the hand, and add a slight bit more rotational movement on the arm cannon.

Like make the tip of Dark Samus' cannon draw a circle in the air.

Should make that animation look even better.
I can do this. Its pretty simple.

What does that even means?

Quote from: R̢i҉̴̛͜d̷̕҉̴l̨̧͠͡e͘͜͠y̴̶͡͠͞ on July 16, 2015, 06:50:42 AM
I can do this. Its pretty simple.

What does that even means?

Uhm... What?

I'm sorry, your second sentence is kinda indecipherable? What do you mean?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: Velen on July 17, 2015, 03:32:26 AM
Uhm... What?

I'm sorry, your second sentence is kinda indecipherable? What do you mean?
What do you mean by "Like make the tip of Dark Samus' cannon draw a circle in the air."

Quote from: R̢i҉̴̛͜d̷̕҉̴l̨̧͠͡e͘͜͠y̴̶͡͠͞ on July 17, 2015, 04:32:20 AM
What do you mean by "Like make the tip of Dark Samus' cannon draw a circle in the air."

Well. It kinda literally means exactly what it says: make Dark Samus's arm cannon rotate in such a way that, as it goes through the animation, it's drawing a circle.

Move your forearm in so the tip of your middle finger draws a circle while it's bent at the elbow, and you'll have the general idea of what I mean.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: Velen on July 17, 2015, 04:44:12 AM
Well. It kinda literally means exactly what it says: make Dark Samus's arm cannon rotate in such a way that, as it goes through the animation, it's drawing a circle.

Move your forearm in so the tip of your middle finger draws a circle while it's bent at the elbow, and you'll have the general idea of what I mean.
Oh. Thanks. Will try it.


3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

F L A R E B L I T Z B O Y S
(I've fixed the right arm clipping since this preview.)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I forgot to static the HipN translation during that part, hence Charizard skidding backward during the 40 Frames of the attack part.
(Ignore the feel sliding, as the TransN bone was nulled for this preview)
Animation details.
Startup: 35 Frames.
Attack Duration: 40 Frames.
Cooldown: 40 Frames.
Total: 115 Frames.

Any thoughts?
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Looks nice and fluid. I actually compared it to Smash 3DS's and it's not all that different :)

Thanks.

Here's a preview of it in-game with effects.
http://gfycat.com/FittingSoftCottonmouth

And here's a preview of the explosion part of the attack (with an earlier animation).
http://gfycat.com/RewardingWellgroomedAfricanparadiseflycatcher
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]