Animating in Maya with Control Rigs, Baking, and Exporting into Brawlbox

Started by Eternal Yoshi, November 09, 2013, 07:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I've tried animating this:
-Start at standing position
-Lying back in the air (going into back flip)
-Complete the spin and land

But it seems to do this:
-Start at standing position
-Lying back in the air
-Go back to frame one, by swinging in the same direction that you went up (like a seesaw)

Also, where would I add Swords or other projectiles/items to the control rig?


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: KingEvilpuff on May 01, 2014, 08:20:36 PMBut now that I exported it, the rotations of certain bones are off. It only exported the X Rotations for my character's tail and wing bones.

Hoping I can get some help with this. Since it's a huge pain to have to manually animate the wings and tail again in BrawlBox.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Very weird. Have you checked those bones in the graph editor to see if the other Axis' are keyed properly?

Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on May 06, 2014, 02:56:01 PM
Very weird. Have you checked those bones in the graph editor to see if the other Axis' are keyed properly?
I was checking to make sure I had everything set, but then my Maya crashed (and I forgot to save), so I lost the Animation. :\

But I'll try making another Animation and doing that in the future.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Quote from: KingEvilpuff on May 06, 2014, 03:11:39 PM
I was checking to make sure I had everything set, but then my Maya crashed (and I forgot to save), so I lost the Animation. :\

But I'll try making another Animation and doing that in the future.

Agghh. That sucks.
Take it from me, when you finish an animation, save the scene as a backup BEFORE you bake it, then bake it and save that as a separate scene. It's always good to have a backup of your animation in case things like this happen.

Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on May 06, 2014, 05:49:28 PMAgghh. That sucks.
Take it from me, when you finish an animation, save the scene as a backup BEFORE you bake it, then bake it and save that as a separate scene. It's always good to have a backup of your animation in case things like this happen.
Though something I should specify is that I animated the tail and wings though the Outlier, since they weren't used in the IK Control Rig at all.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

If the wing and tail bones weren't used in the IK Rig, then it's meaningless to bake those bones.

Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on May 06, 2014, 06:33:22 PM
If the wing and tail bones weren't used in the IK Rig, then it's meaningless to bake those bones.
Oh.

Alright.

I'll give that a go then.

Would I also not bake the TopN, TransN, XRotN, YRotN, HaveN, and ThrowN bones?
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Generally speaking, if you didn't touch the bone you don't need to bake it.

More specifically, all of those bones are of the type that you will never need to bake, excepting the TransN. If you did movement using the TransN, bake it. Otherwise, you're good.


Quick question (or long question...)

How would I make the last frame of the animation I made, the first frame of a new animation I want to make?

I tried selecting the whole model's joints ik thingy and deleting all the keyframes before the last frame, but that ended up doing... something. Which made it so I couldn't rotate/translate/scale/do anything with the IK skeleton thing.

So what exactly would I do to solve my problem?


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: Tidus on May 12, 2014, 02:31:24 PM
Quick question (or long question...)

How would I make the last frame of the animation I made, the first frame of a new animation I want to make?

I tried selecting the whole model's joints ik thingy and deleting all the keyframes before the last frame, but that ended up doing... something. Which made it so I couldn't rotate/translate/scale/do anything with the IK skeleton thing.

So what exactly would I do to solve my problem?
Copy the keyframe of the last Frame, then paste it over the first Frame. Then delete all keyframes in between.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Quote from: KingOfChaos on May 12, 2014, 02:49:01 PM
Copy the keyframe of the last Frame, then paste it over the first Frame. Then delete all keyframes in between.

That's what I did.

The aforementioned problem still occurred.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: Tidus on May 12, 2014, 03:30:00 PM
That's what I did.

The aforementioned problem still occurred.
Don't select all the bones. Just select one bone from the IK rig.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Quote from: KingOfChaos on May 12, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Don't select all the bones. Just select one bone from the IK rig.

Awesome that worked.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Simple question: Do we actually need Brawlbox v.68 and v.69, or will the latest version suffice for what is needed in this tutorial?