BrawlBox v0.78

Started by libertyernie, May 03, 2014, 08:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

May 05, 2014, 09:42:57 PM #30 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:12:21 PM by vanhuynh16
OMG I got it Blackjax!! I replaced MISCDATA[9], MISCDATA[10] in common3.pac with the Korean one, and it worked! Apparently I read that 9 and 10 are font_latin1.arc, font_latin12.arc. But would you know how to change the text size though? It seems a bit small though. Would I have to add something to the msbin file? like <size=???> etc?

Quote from: Mewtwo2000 on May 05, 2014, 06:04:43 PM
Honestly, I prefer how entries are listed in BJ's STPM editor than in Bero's STDT one. It would be cool if you could use the STPM menu for the STDT instead.
I don't think I can do it the way he did it for STPM, since STDT has a variable number of entries in it. Also, some are floats and some are integers, and the program doesn't know which is which. But hopefully I'll figure out a way you can edit both that's not too complicated.

May 05, 2014, 11:43:15 PM #32 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:42:45 AM by BlackJax96
Quote from: vanhuynh16 on May 05, 2014, 09:42:57 PM
OMG I got it Blackjax!! I replaced MISCDATA[9], MISCDATA[10] in common3.pac with the Korean one, and it worked! Apparently I read that 9 and 10 are font_latin1.arc, font_latin12.arc. But would you know how to change the text size though? It seems a bit small though. Would I have to add something to the msbin file? like <size=???> etc?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the right tag.
So it works now? Cool beans.

Quote from: Dantarion on May 05, 2014, 09:05:40 PM
BlackJax, can you please give a couple more people commit access to the brawlbox project so we can continue making releases and code commits through google code?

Yeah. Anybody who wants to commit changes should pm me their email and I'll add them.

Quote from: Sammi Husky on May 05, 2014, 08:43:29 AMIcon isn&#039;t that great, but better then a question mark :P

Here's a template for the original icon style:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsozzwloaza5bf/CHR.psd

Quote from: libertyernie on May 05, 2014, 11:34:06 PM
Quote from: Mewtwo2000 on May 05, 2014, 06:04:43 PM
Quote from: libertyernie on May 05, 2014, 05:18:37 PM
Sweet! For STDT, I&#039;m probably gonna try Bero&#039;s code that BJ posted the link to, and if that works well enough I&#039;ll get rid of mine.
Honestly, I prefer how entries are listed in BJ&#039;s STPM editor than in Bero&#039;s STDT one. It would be cool if you could use the STPM menu for the STDT instead.
I don&#039;t think I can do it the way he did it for STPM, since STDT has a variable number of entries in it. Also, some are floats and some are integers, and the program doesn&#039;t know which is which. But hopefully I&#039;ll figure out a way you can edit both that&#039;s not too complicated.

Even though displaying a raw array to the user is quick and easy and SEEMS like the best solution, it's not intuitive at all for the user. You always want to be able to name raw values so I avoided doing it. Use the moveset attribute editor, at least, and let the community name the values. You'll have to set up a naming system for text files.

Quote from: BlackJax96 on May 05, 2014, 11:43:15 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the right tag.
So it works now? Cool beans.

Kinda? When I try to change the size, it just makes it blank instead. So I'm not sure what to do from there.

Quote from: BlackJax96 on May 05, 2014, 11:43:15 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the right tag.
So it works now? Cool beans.

Yeah. Anybody who wants to commit changes should pm me their email and I'll add them.

Here's a template for the original icon style:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsozzwloaza5bf/CHR.psd
Honestly, I prefer how entries are listed in BJ's STPM editor than in Bero's STDT one. It would be cool if you could use the STPM menu for the STDT instead.

I don't think I can do it the way he did it for STPM, since STDT has a variable number of entries in it. Also, some are floats and some are integers, and the program doesn't know which is which. But hopefully I'll figure out a way you can edit both that's not too complicated.


Even though displaying a raw array to the user is quick and easy and SEEMS like the best solution, it's not intuitive at all for the user. You always want to be able to name raw values so I avoided doing it. Use the moveset attribute editor, at least, and let the community name the values. You'll have to set up a naming system for text files.
But how does BrawlBox know whether to interpret a value as integer or floating-point? I can't go by the size of the STDT data, because a few stages (i.e. 75m and Luigi's Mansion) have the same size STDT but use different interpretations.

Quote from: KingEvilpuff on May 04, 2014, 02:06:46 PM
But moveset stuff is best saved for BJ's cancelled Ikarus.

I actually am already working on Ikarus. Just sent a pull request to LibertyErnie to allow selecting JUST the character folder, rather then the whole root of ALL brawl files. So expect to see that improved as well as BBox stuff :)

May 06, 2014, 06:41:13 AM #36 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:50:16 AM by BlackJax96
Quote from: libertyernie on May 06, 2014, 02:44:51 AM
But how does BrawlBox know whether to interpret a value as integer or floating-point? I can't go by the size of the STDT data, because a few stages (i.e. 75m and Luigi's Mansion) have the same size STDT but use different interpretations.

Well the attribute grid does have an if statement that guesses int or float, but for values like 0 and some really big integers, there's no way to know for sure. What I did for moveset files was I had it use that if there were no text files that explicitly stated int or float for the current value.

Basically either the user tells BB float or int using the text files or it guesses.

Alternatively, you could hardcode structs for each stage and use them as a direct property interface. I don't think I would do that though, as there are quite a few stages and most of the values are unknown or need a long description.

Quote from: Sammi Husky on May 06, 2014, 06:29:55 AM
I actually am already working on Ikarus. Just sent a pull request to LibertyErnie to allow selecting JUST the character folder, rather then the whole root of ALL brawl files. So expect to see that improved as well as BBox stuff :)

There should be a separate button under file->open to open just a character folder. In fact, I was planning to add buttons to be able to open any file separately.

The reason I completed opening the root first was because it was faster to just open an SD card root and switch the character for testing and I wanted to emulate the game :P
BB v0.68 and PSA can already edit pretty well.

Nice to see interest in continuing Ikarus though. It has a lot of potential, if somebody can get a proper moveset rebuilder written.

May 06, 2014, 12:56:46 PM #37 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:47:18 PM by libertyernie
Quote from: BlackJax96 on May 06, 2014, 06:41:13 AM
Well the attribute grid does have an if statement that guesses int or float, but for values like 0 and some really big integers, there's no way to know for sure. What I did for moveset files was I had it use that if there were no text files that explicitly stated int or float for the current value.

Basically either the user tells BB float or int using the text files or it guesses.

Sweet. Which file is the attribute grid in?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. It's in the ikarus project.

Quote from: Sammi Husky on May 06, 2014, 06:29:55 AM
I actually am already working on Ikarus. Just sent a pull request to LibertyErnie to allow selecting JUST the character folder, rather then the whole root of ALL brawl files. So expect to see that improved as well as BBox stuff :)
Yay. \o0o/
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

I wish the model viewer can view vertex colors.

Hey. This version of BrawlBox keeps messing up the .msbin for the songs.

Anytime I edit it even slightly and then save, it becomes corrupt no matter what happens. Even if I export it out and edit it on it's own, it ends up as corrupted whenever it saves. This didn't happen with the previous versions.

What gives? I'm not the only one having this issue, right?


May 06, 2014, 06:17:53 PM #41 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:19:30 PM by libertyernie
Quote from: Waveshocker Sigma on May 06, 2014, 06:12:24 PM
Hey. This version of BrawlBox keeps messing up the .msbin for the songs.

Anytime I edit it even slightly and then save, it becomes corrupt no matter what happens. Even if I export it out and edit it on it's own, it ends up as corrupted whenever it saves. This didn't happen with the previous versions.

What gives? I'm not the only one having this issue, right?
Can you send me the file that gets corrupted, but before the program corrupts it?

EDIT: nvm, found one I can use to test.

Quote from: E-scope12 on May 06, 2014, 02:13:33 PM
I wish the model viewer can view vertex colors.

The program used for MKWii tracks can. I wonder if there's any documentation anywhere that could be used to port that into Brawlbox.
SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
Visit my stage thread here


Stage light and fog tutorial
Stage shadows tutorial

Hey, im just trying to throw something out, but can you guys use the existing BrawlCode progress so we don't end up splitting BrawlBox's development history yet again?

Quote from: Dantarion on May 06, 2014, 06:47:30 PM
Hey, im just trying to throw something out, but can you guys use the existing BrawlCode progress so we don't end up splitting BrawlBox's development history yet again?

Do you mean the google code project? Im up for it, i've never really used google code before though..But in order for BBox to not end up forking off into separate dev trees LibertyErnie would need to use google code as well and we would need BJ to give us commit privileges.

In the long run it may be better to just switch to git altogether since in my opinion its a bit more contributor friendly, but that's really just me. I'll go wherever the code goes lol