[OBSOLETE] Alternate File Loader Stages and Brawlex

Started by Ebola16, December 24, 2014, 02:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

December 24, 2014, 02:57:01 AM Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:00:19 AM by Ebola16
A regular Brawl compatible Alternate Stage Loader has been released here http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=20291.0
This makes the AFL now obsolete for loading alternate stages.


Apparently not too many people know about this, so I have good news! This doubled the amount of stages I could use via Brawlex with Stage Expansion.

The Alternate Stage Loader (ASL) and Brawlex are currently incompatible. This code allows multiple stages to be loaded as "alternate" stages using a "base" stage .rel. If you are interested in the Brawlex incompatible ASL, see http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=31070.0.

While ASL does not work with Brawlex 2.0.0.0, its predecessor does. Almas' Alternate File Loader (AFL) can load multiple types of files when a customizable button activator is pressed, but stages are the ones of interest for me. A full explanation of its capabilities can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-alternate-file-loader-aka-the-clone-engine.250370/. I currently use a GameCube button activator, but I have not been able to get button activators from other controllers to work.

ASL is able to have many alternates for a stage whereas the AFL can only have one per stage. The alternate stage loaded will use the same .rel as the base stage. Only one instance of AFL will be recognized by Wiis (the first one if you have multiple), so only one function of the AFL and one button activator will be recognized. The AFL and ASL do not alter cosmetic, sfx, or strm data.

Codes for AFL (see spoiler): AFL (Core code, configured for stage loading), AF Data (Button Activator set to GameCube Y+A)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Setup: This method works using Gecko code handler. I have not tested other code handlers.
1. Insert the codes into your .gct file (check to make sure you didn't copy a code that already exists in your .gct).
2. Create these folders in you SD card (Alternate Stages will be loaded from here):
private/wii/app/RSBE/ay/stage/melee/
3. Add alternate stages to the new "melee" folder (they must have the same filename as the base stage)

How to use in game with my button activator:
1. Move your hand over a base stage (I'll use Final Destination as an example).
2. Hold down Y on a Gamecube controller
3. (Don't let go of Y) Hold down A on the same controller. Based on the Final Destination example, private/wii/app/RSBE/ay/stage/melee/STGFINAL.pac will now be loaded instead of Final Destination

Notes: This button activator is specific to the stage selection screen, so pressing the button activator elsewhere will not cause problems. If an alternate stage cannot be found (like naming your alternate Final Destination as STGFNIAL.pac), the base stage will be loaded instead. If a stage that uses a different .rel than the base stage is loaded, the game will freeze (there are some rare exceptions to this however).

This is why I have been working on achieving .rel-less stage porting. I am having progress!

Enjoy your stages everyone!

Update 3/15/2015: Bytecount typo has been corrected thanks to secretchaos1. While this did not cause any problems for my setup, it did for his.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Looks pretty useful. As I said in the BrawlEx thread I'll probably look into this after I'm done filling my roster, this makes it a lot easier to setup though. Thanks!

What is the combination for Wiimote/Nunchuk? I use that, as I don't have a working GameCube Controller...

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99

I haven't tested Wiimote / Nunchuck, but the button activator data can be found here: http://www.codemasters-project.net/members/Skiller/CMP/Jokerwii.htm Select the button combo you want and replace it with ZZZZ in the Alternate File data (see http://smashboards.com/threads/the-alternate-file-loader-aka-the-clone-engine.250370/)
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Quote from: ebola16 on May 08, 2015, 04:13:44 AM
I haven't tested Wiimote / Nunchuck, but the button activator data can be found here: http://www.codemasters-project.net/members/Skiller/CMP/Jokerwii.htm. Select the button combo you want and replace it with ZZZZ in the Alternate File data (see http://smashboards.com/threads/the-alternate-file-loader-aka-the-clone-engine.250370/)
The first link is broken.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99

Formatting issue, I fixed the link. I also vaguely remember someone saying that they couldn't get wiimote or wiimote with nunchuck button activators to work, so there is a chance that your button activators will fail. Let me know how it turns out!
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

I will be able to test it later on today. And, do I need an alt. stage file for every stage in my mod?

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99

No, if you try to load an alternate stage but the file cannot be found, the original file will be loaded.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Okay. And, where do I put the Joker code when I have what I want?

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99

The button activator goes in the ZZZZ location. You need to add 80 in hex to your activator though. (see http://smashboards.com/threads/the-alternate-file-loader-aka-the-clone-engine.250370/).
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Quote from: ebola16 on May 08, 2015, 11:59:55 AM
The button activator goes in the ZZZZ location. You need to add 80 in hex to your activator though. (see http://smashboards.com/threads/the-alternate-file-loader-aka-the-clone-engine.250370/).


And do I put the 80 in hex before or after my controller combination code?

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99

It shouldn't matter. For example, the Gamecube A+Y button activator has a value of 0x0900. In order to work with this code, 0x0080 must be added.
0x0080 + 0x0900 and
0x0900 + 0x0080
are equivalent (both equal 0x0980).
The order of the above addition should not matter.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Quote from: ebola16 on May 20, 2015, 11:17:20 PM
It shouldn't matter. For example, the Gamecube A+Y button activator has a value of 0x0900. In order to work with this code, 0x0080 must be added.
0x0080 + 0x0900 and
0x0900 + 0x0080
are equivalent (both equal 0x0980).
The order of the above addition should not matter.

I tried, and it didn't work. Which version of BrawlEx does this work with?

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99

May 21, 2015, 12:01:39 AM #13 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:13:15 PM by ebola16
It worked with every version of Brawlex that I tested. I currently use 2.0.0.0. Wiimote and Wiimote + Nunchuck codes are thought to fail so that may be your problem. I can confirm that Gamecube controller input works and other people say Wiimote + classic controller input works.

Update: I updated the OP to clarify probable issues with Wiimote alone and Wiimote + Nunchuck button activators.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Quote from: ebola16 on May 21, 2015, 12:01:39 AM
It worked with every version of Brawlex that I tested. I currently use 2.0.0.0. Wiimote and Wiimote + Nunchuck codes are though to fail so that may be your problem. I can confirm that Gamecube controller input works and other people say Wiimote + classic controller input works.

I think I have a problem with my clone engine entirely, I'm using a mix of different versions, and when I downgraded two characters, they glitches and crashes the game. I'll try upgrading all of the characters when I get a chance... IF I get a chance.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!
NNID: Supersawnik99