Fighter Kirby: Seeking New Project Manager, See Thread For Application Details

Started by UMOP, September 02, 2009, 04:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Close, yet so far away. Most of the things I have left I have no idea how to do.

So I went to take some pictures for the OP, and I realized just how ugly the hadouken is. It looked alright from the side, but it's a mess all over the z plane. So I'm fixing it, and decided to just make a v0.1.4 with just touch ups to the old moves, no new ones. It should be ready in a day or so. What you can expect:

- Better looking hadoukens
- Edited sounds when the hadouken hits
- Nerfed side-b recovery
- Nerfed side-b combo ability (currently, it combos into itself almost infinitely against some chars, and can combo into a grab against anybody, and after play testing with a bunch of people, I have realized it's just too good. I'm going to try to keep the ability to combo to a up-b, though)
- Greatly buffed range on the Backflip Fire Kick
- Removal of a few glitches, such as one that allows you to fire kick anytime and the resetting of your charge if you land/fall during the charging stance

Also, I'm thinking about changing how the neutral b works in the air. As it stands, he can aircamp too easily off the side, and in the kirby games he can't shoot a hadouken right away in the air anyway. So, I might make it so he does a whirlwind kick if you press b, but if you keep b pressed down after that is done, you can start charging a hadouken. I'm going to have to buff the neutral b whirlwind kick if I do this, though, and that move has been giving me a headache because of the frame speed changes involved. Any thoughts?

In regards to the NairB, how about you make a new, unique aerial combo when he presses NairB thats different from the Grounded combo, and remove the ability to charge the hadouken in the air completely, and have pressing and releasing the B button rapidly once begin the combo like you have now

There might be a change of plans, because it seems a way to detect if your hitboxes trigger has been found. I'll be adding his down-b in v0.1.4, and as such I'll need more time, not sure how much, but it's going to take longer then originally planned.






Quote from: .Fade on September 10, 2009, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: thanyou on September 10, 2009, 08:19:58 PM
Quote from: UMOP on September 10, 2009, 06:25:52 AM
....it seems a way to detect if your hitboxes trigger has been found....

What does that mean?

It's like Ike's Side-B.

No, not quite. Ike's side-b activates as soon as you touch an enemy, which is why it goes through stuff like the support beams on Luigi's Mansion, and stops even if the opponent dodged it. This is going to be more like Sonic's neutral B or Toon Link's down air, which bounce off something if it damages it.

Before I start, let me say that I've used this little guy in a slightly modified build of Brawl+.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a balanced character here, or just trying to put something new into the mix, but if you're trying to make him balanced, I could offer a few suggestions to that effect.

His Whirlwind Kick is very easily spammable, and can easily carry an opponent across the entire course, doing damage to them as he does.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I can do that, but the people I play against certainly don't.  What I might suggest is attempting to decrease the move's priority, so that is it harder to successfully strike and get them into the combo (assuming you can do this with PSA), and allowing people to more easily hit him out of it.  However, it sounds like you're already aware of this, but hey.   :P

Something else I noticed was that it was very difficult to actually use his Hadouken in serious combat.  Once I knocked someone away, I could try and start charging it to hit them, but after I did so, I couldn't carry the move around for a powerful strike later on.  Most characters that have this kind of ability can charge it, keep it, and unleash it later at a more advantageous time.  I'm not sure if you can do this with Kirby, but if you can, I think he'd benefit greatly from it, and make him more well-rounded.  If its the damage factor you're worried about there, you could always make it a less powerful strike to balance out the ability to carry the attack.

Really, that's all I can think of for the moment.  The combo of his attacks only gets people up to around 30-40% damage.  That's 2 hits with Ike, or virtually any other character, so while it LOOKS like you're owning them hardcore, you really aren't, and I like that.  It makes it fair.

Anyway, I hope that helps you a bit.  Great work!  He's a fun character to play with.

You don't have to rely on the fully charged Hadouken all the time.. you can use the level 1 Hadouken for more serious combat. It's like Ike's Neutral B, except less damage, less charge time, and more range. Keep it like that since it's supposed to act that way.

Here's a secret: In Amazing Mirror, if you have 1 HP left, Fighter Kirby's Hadouken changes into an already fully charged super powered Hadouken! SO... maybe you can (if you can that is..) make him have a level 3 Hadouken ALWAYS when his % is over 100 or 150 or something.. if that's TOO cheap, cut the frames in half so he has a super fast charge on Hadouken for faster level 3s. I think they found an action from Lucario on that % = Power thing.

Quote from: Ryugi on September 11, 2009, 10:29:58 PM
Before I start, let me say that I've used this little guy in a slightly modified build of Brawl+.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a balanced character here, or just trying to put something new into the mix, but if you're trying to make him balanced, I could offer a few suggestions to that effect.

His Whirlwind Kick is very easily spammable, and can easily carry an opponent across the entire course, doing damage to them as he does.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I can do that, but the people I play against certainly don't.  What I might suggest is attempting to decrease the move's priority, so that is it harder to successfully strike and get them into the combo (assuming you can do this with PSA), and allowing people to more easily hit him out of it.  However, it sounds like you're already aware of this, but hey.   :P

Something else I noticed was that it was very difficult to actually use his Hadouken in serious combat.  Once I knocked someone away, I could try and start charging it to hit them, but after I did so, I couldn't carry the move around for a powerful strike later on.  Most characters that have this kind of ability can charge it, keep it, and unleash it later at a more advantageous time.  I'm not sure if you can do this with Kirby, but if you can, I think he'd benefit greatly from it, and make him more well-rounded.  If its the damage factor you're worried about there, you could always make it a less powerful strike to balance out the ability to carry the attack.

Really, that's all I can think of for the moment.  The combo of his attacks only gets people up to around 30-40% damage.  That's 2 hits with Ike, or virtually any other character, so while it LOOKS like you're owning them hardcore, you really aren't, and I like that.  It makes it fair.

Anyway, I hope that helps you a bit.  Great work!  He's a fun character to play with.

Thanks for the extensive feedback, I really appreciate it.

First off, I haven't tried B+ at all, so I wouldn't know if he was broken even if I tested him, because I don't know the level the other characters play at. I am trying to make him balanced, but unfortunately, some things don't become apparent until I play real people. When testing, I figured real people would be able to dodge his side-b better than the cpus did, but it turns out to still be a bit too powerful. It'll be receiving a large nerf in combo ability, but as a compensation, it'll get a damage boost.

As for the hadouken, see Naruby's post, and my response to it below.

And thanks for the compliment, it's always nice to get those (:

Quote from: Naruby on September 12, 2009, 12:56:48 AM
You don't have to rely on the fully charged Hadouken all the time.. you can use the level 1 Hadouken for more serious combat. It's like Ike's Neutral B, except less damage, less charge time, and more range. Keep it like that since it's supposed to act that way.

Here's a secret: In Amazing Mirror, if you have 1 HP left, Fighter Kirby's Hadouken changes into an already fully charged super powered Hadouken! SO... maybe you can (if you can that is..) make him have a level 3 Hadouken ALWAYS when his % is over 100 or 150 or something.. if that's TOO cheap, cut the frames in half so he has a super fast charge on Hadouken for faster level 3s. I think they found an action from Lucario on that % = Power thing.

I would think of it more as Link or TL's arrow, but with power instead of range as it charges. Anyway, I know of the low health = instant charge thing, it's in Squeak Squad too, but I don't know how to or if I should include it. As it stands, his level 3 is just too powerful to be used in only 26 frames, no matter the condition.

Also, as an update, I'm almost done. I have the down-b working, I'm just tweaking it until I think it's balanced. I might not be done tonight, but it'll definitely be up tomorrow.

Quote from: UMOP on September 12, 2009, 01:33:18 AM
Also, as an update, I'm almost done. I have the down-b working, I'm just tweaking it until I think it's balanced. I might not be done tonight, but it'll definitely be up tomorrow.

*Cheers*

i see where ur coming from UMOP. trying to keep true to the kirby games. because, naruby, in the kirby games you cant walk around with a full hadouken charge, now can you?
XP im really looking forward to see a nice fighter kirby when you get the down-b done.
oh and also, i think hadouken charge 3 does take a bit long to charge up now. can you shorten it a little?