Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 1174 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 1180 ... 1331
Author Topic: WIP Workshop  (Read 4600566 times)
BlueBrain
God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17640 on: January 08, 2015, 07:27:32 AM »

well, if somebody could send me a converted ganondorf model i wanna see if i can custom make a lower poly version...

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17641 on: January 08, 2015, 07:29:17 AM »

well, if somebody could send me a converted ganondorf model i wanna see if i can custom make a lower poly version...
    i can send ya 1.

edit:
    sent him to ya jokekid
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:42:48 AM by DSX8 » Logged

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17642 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »

What is the best way to lower the poly count, people say to avoid the pro-optimizer, others do not, but I don't see any other way on here.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17643 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »

What is the best way to lower the poly count, people say to avoid the pro-optimizer, others do not, but I don't see any other way on here.

Well, the first thing you could do is look for the function that turns triangles into quads...if it will even do that.

Like I told someone else. Reducing the polycount is a mater of removing edge loops from the model so it will result in less tris. If you double click a set of edges while in edge mode, it should select  ring of edges. That's what you want to delete.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17644 on: January 08, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

Well, the first thing you could do is look for the function that turns triangles into quads...if it will even do that.

Like I told someone else. Reducing the polycount is a mater of removing edge loops from the model so it will result in less tris. If you double click a set of edges while in edge mode, it should select ring of edges. That's what you want to delete.

Provided that I knew what it was I was doing in the first place, yes, that sounds simple enough. Having said that, I reduced the Great Fairy down to 11,000 polygons, which is definitely pushing it. Removing edge loops to a model of the original 23,000 is a bit too overwhelming. Now, if someone would like to help me optimize it, it would be appreciated, but I shouldn't impose on other users.

Edit: I should note that I reread what you said, deleting edge loops on a model this complex seems a bit daunting, isn't it? Other problem is the editable polys are not unified, if I select one object, it shows that modifier. If I select all objects, it shows no mods. There are 21 objects for the Great Fairy, sure, I could combine them, but that would screw the textures and UV maps.

Edit 2: Huh, combining them all into one object worked....good Grin  Deleting edges forms gaps in model in Edge Mode, so uh...that doesn't work.
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:37:52 AM by the_randomizer » Logged

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17645 on: January 08, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »

there is an option to delete edge loops without making gaps, i just don't know what it's called, iirc it also edits the UVs accordingly...

Moblin
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Featured Active Contributor Diamond in the Rough Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17646 on: January 08, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »

You're probably not going to find a whole lot of edge loops. Models are heavily optimized when they're put in-engine, usually using a lot of triangles (which mess up edge loops). You'd have to figure out how the model was built by examining the mesh and figuring out where the original edge loops were prior to triangulation. You can then optimize from there. You can also do the reverse to upscale older models, like from GC games.

the_randomizer
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17647 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »

there is an option to delete edge loops without making gaps, i just don't know what it's called, iirc it also edits the UVs accordingly...
    Yeah, who could I ask for outside help regarding this, it's proving to be extremely frustrating, not to mention there are no up-to-date tutorials for this.

You're probably not going to find a whole lot of edge loops. Models are heavily optimized when they're put in-engine, usually using a lot of triangles (which mess up edge loops). You'd have to figure out how the model was built by examining the mesh and figuring out where the original edge loops were prior to triangulation. You can then optimize from there. You can also do the reverse to upscale older models, like from GC games.
    Too bad I lack the knowledge to do that, haven't seen any tutorials on here or for 3DS Max 2011, which is recommended for Brawl modding.  Figuring out how the model was made will also be very difficult, so...might need to ask for outside help as this is way out of my league.

Moblin
    Mega Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17648 on: January 08, 2015, 08:50:19 PM »

The problem is that you're not going to find tutorials on how to delete edge loops, or how to guess how a model is built and having the knowledge to reverse engineer it. These ideas come from having an understanding on how models are made.

It's not out of your league. Not gonna give you any links, but I hear there's a bay out there where you can find interesting modelling tutorials. I'd check there if you're truly interested in building a solid foundation for understanding how to approach projects like this (optimizing).

Basic summary on manually optimizing a model: build a new model underneath. Perhaps YouTube has some good tutorials on modelling a low poly silhouette from a high poly one. But as stated previously, they're probably going to be using a lot of tools and terminology taught in fundamental modelling classes. If you wanna model mucho bueno, start with the fundamentals.

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17649 on: January 09, 2015, 03:46:50 AM »

ok, the biggest issue in ganondorf's polycount is obviously the face, so i thought i'd start working on that, what i've done is edit brawl ganondorf's head to fit HW's size and shape, here's a side to side front orthographic comparison:

EDIT:

here's the body with the new head:

looks fine to me Tongue
    « Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:49:08 AM by jjookkeekkiidd » Logged

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17650 on: January 09, 2015, 03:54:26 AM »

but how many poly's is he now? :p

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17651 on: January 09, 2015, 03:56:32 AM »

face poly counts:

my brawl face editted: 936
    HW face: 3366

working on the facial hair atm

edit:
    facial hair done:

poly count comparison:
    new facial hair: 80 polys
    HW facial hair: 1544 polys

now it's jewel time Tongue
    « Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:49:39 AM by jjookkeekkiidd » Logged

Ashley and Red
    Lol Kitten

AKA Mougeki Mero (Retired/Doing mods for Personal)

• Awards Heart Container >9000 Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17652 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:49 AM »

Oh, jokekid, you did great!!!! I the face har made from scratch?

Moblin
    Mega Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17653 on: January 09, 2015, 06:24:43 AM »

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-A529E28F-4444-4E90-BBAD-7E2DF108479C.htm,topicNumber=d30e93818

This will help with your work, jokekid. It allows you to bake HW Ganon's original texture into your new model's UVs. Keep that cage tight and it will look good.

PM me if you want help UVing.

Ashley and Red
    Lol Kitten

AKA Mougeki Mero (Retired/Doing mods for Personal)

• Awards Heart Container >9000 Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17654 on: January 09, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »

I did my best for Lana D: , rig is almost halfway

Pages:  1 ... 1174 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 1180 ... 1331
    Print
    Jump to: