Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10
Author Topic: KC-MM BrawlVault: Homebrew App *6/13: See Page 4*  (Read 51193 times)
Albafika
Anti-Christ
Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »

I don't see how you'd code it so that you can download from any link right into your SD (And if the DL link is in a .rar and whatnot) unless you're hosting it all yourselves.

Jack H.
    Titles cost $5,000
    Supreme Kitten

Co-Founder of KC-MM

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Starstormer Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »

I don't see how you'd code it so that you can download from any link right into your SD (And if the DL link is in a .rar and whatnot) unless you're hosting it all yourselves.

Good question. We brought that up in our discussion, and currently it would be solved by any of the following (sorted from easiest to implement, to most difficult):

1)  Host Every Hack Ourselves
    2)  *Re-upload said hack as .pcs instead of a .rar or .zip file
    3)  Implement an extraction tool into the brawlbrew app.

* This however, doesn't solve multi-file necessities. Characters that require double-file downloads (pcs and pac for transforming characters like zelda, wario, etc) would have to have two separate download links for the pac and pcs. This would be a repair to be implemented on the vault side of things though.

Assuming that this will have support for both Riivo and Gecko, I'm all for it.

I'm unfamiliar with the functionality behind Riivo, but to my knowledge, isn't it essencially "chuck everything into the root folder instead of specific folder hierarchies"? If it's merely folder location placement that's different between normal File Patch Code replacement and Riivo, I'm sure there could be future implementation of "click here for Riivo," and "click here for File Patch Code method" (as well as, "click here if you have know idea what either of these mean").

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:52:31 PM by Jack H. » Logged

-Jack H.

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 10:50:30 PM »

I know the app hasn't been created, but just throwing out questions that should be considered.
    Yeah, that's great. This is exactly the kind of thing we want.

_Data_Drain_
    Master of the Dark Matter
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »

In all honesty. This idea seems pointless.

Especially if you all are going to need to do such drastic changes to the server... And, just how much would hosting all those files cost a month? And all so that a Homebrew app which many people might not even use works?

I'm rather against this.

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

Jack H.
    Titles cost $5,000
    Supreme Kitten

Co-Founder of KC-MM

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Starstormer Heart Container

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »

In all honesty. This idea seems pointless.

Especially if you all are going to need to do such drastic changes to the server... And, just how much would hosting all those files cost a month? And all so that a Homebrew app which many people might not even use works?

I'm rather against this.

Excellent opinion, to which I'd love to answer your concerns about:

We're always investigating ways to make it so changes (especially to the server) are minimal. We already have unlimited everything as far as bandwidth and host space goes, and to keep it that way we'll likely throw a small ad on the Vault. Nothing obtrusive. The potential it has to bring those Brawlers that aren't as savvy to the table makes us excited.

-Jack H.

_Data_Drain_
    Master of the Dark Matter
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards 2012 SSBB Tournament Runner-Up Fiery Topic Good Citizen Ceiling Cat

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:52 PM »

But then again, those people might not even have Homebrew at all...

And I'm not seeing how this would help them out. Once they already have Homebrew, and look around a bit for info, they're set for putting stuff on their SD card.

3DS FC: 1762-2823-8581

Wii-U ID: Data-Drain Mii Name: Jiro

SMM Stages: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Data-Drain

DoctorFlux(Mariodk)
    Never Gonna Give You Up

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Heart Container KCMM 2012 Awards Winner >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:49 PM »

how you is going to upload/Download a whole package (like goku over pit where you needing all files for get it to work all .pcs/fitmotionetc.pac/Fitchar.pac) if you can´t get it in to a .rar/zip
    if you can only upload 1x Fit(char)xx.pcs
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:54:54 PM by Mariodk » Logged

I Dont Take Requests & Dont Do Brawl Mods anymore Maybe Sm4sh modz later

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »

how you is going to upload/Download a whole package (like goku over pit where you needing all files for get it to work all .pcs/fitmotionetc.pac/Fitchar.pac)

Jack's possibly even more out of touch with the current state of things than I am; I don't think he really knows about stuff like that. So he didn't address it.

It's too early to be talking about things outside the conceptual stage, but I believe that including everything in a single rar/zip should be fine. You'd just have to add an XML file that tells where each file belongs.

Something like
    Code:
    <file placement = "/fighter/character/">filename</file>
    <file placement = "/common/">filename</file>

And the app would read that XML file and know where everything goes. That seems like it would work to me, but it's honestly too early to say. But if we did take that approach, we'd release a template and instructions on how to format it.

Edit: A bonus to this method should be the ability to include multiple versions of a hack in one rar, as I know that, say, Mewtwo2000 is fond of doing.

But then again, those people might not even have Homebrew at all...
    And we can just as easily say that they might.

If we let negative possibilities discourage us, we won't get anything done.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:07:09 AM by Vyse » Logged

Mareeo 64
    Holy Kitten

Welp 0_o

• Awards Heart Container

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »

Well, I think this going rather well. It would make things a whole lot easier for the people, like me, who only have a small window for computer access. Also, with the idea for rar/zip downloads, will the un-archivng tool, or whatever it will be called, unpack rar's and zip's equally? like, on the computer I use, i have to use http://www.wobzip.org/ to unpack rar's. Zip's automatically get unpacked. I'm assuming this won't be a problem with this app?

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »

Most files are uploaded as rar or zip, so just code a decompressor for rar and zip. If the file isn't in a zip/rar format, you could just treat it as a regular file to place directly in a directory.

This idea should work because the XML file for Riivo and the files for the file patch code need to always be in the same location.

I support this; I think it can work without any server side modifications. As long as you can get a coder to code these things and a nice menu ;O

SonicWolf
    Wolf Warrior
    Holy Kitten

Don't underestimate me.

• Awards Shadow the Pinhog Heart Container RAGE!! Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »

I approve of this awesome idea! I'd download it as soon as I see it.

!!!!! I WILL GET TO ANYTHING I HAVEN'T DONE AS SOON AS I CAN. NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS YET !!!!!
    !!!!! IF YOU REQUESTED A STRAP FROM ME PLEASE PM ME AGAIN & I WILL DO SO. I AM SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE !!!!!

currently playing: Pokemon Black2, Zelda (SS, MC, LttP and TP), Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Dueling Network & SSBB (once I fix my wii).

Friends:

Favorite Confirmed SSB4 Character so far:

Mareeo 64
    Holy Kitten

Welp 0_o

• Awards Heart Container

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »

I wonder if the app is begining it's road to completion? It's been so quiet on this topic, so that's my theory.

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »

I wonder if the app is begining it's road to completion?
    Nope

SonicWolf
    Wolf Warrior
    Holy Kitten

Don't underestimate me.

• Awards Shadow the Pinhog Heart Container RAGE!! Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »

I wonder if the app is begining it's road to completion? It's been so quiet on this topic, so that's my theory.

I hope so. Grin

!!!!! I WILL GET TO ANYTHING I HAVEN'T DONE AS SOON AS I CAN. NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS YET !!!!!
    !!!!! IF YOU REQUESTED A STRAP FROM ME PLEASE PM ME AGAIN & I WILL DO SO. I AM SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE !!!!!

currently playing: Pokemon Black2, Zelda (SS, MC, LttP and TP), Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Dueling Network & SSBB (once I fix my wii).

Friends:

Favorite Confirmed SSB4 Character so far:

Shun_One
    Lol Kitten

• Awards >9000 Star Hacker Smash 3 Team Pin Collector

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »

I support this idea. It'd certainly make things simpler for those who really have a hard time grasping where to place files and how to replace CSPs and such.

I'm no longer around. If you really need to get my attention, send a PM

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10
    Print
    Jump to: