Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 60
Author Topic: Stage Workshop  (Read 444281 times)
Sandfall
Advanced Kitten

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #555 on: June 19, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »

So, I'm having trouble with shadows for one of my stages. I have no idea as to how to get them to work correctly. Anyone mind giving me a few pointers? I'm working with both a flat and a rough surface.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #556 on: June 19, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »

So, I'm having trouble with shadows for one of my stages. I have no idea as to how to get them to work correctly. Anyone mind giving me a few pointers? I'm working with both a flat and a rough surface.

Check out this tutorial, it's pretty easy stuff.

Sandfall
    Advanced Kitten

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #557 on: June 19, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

Check out this tutorial, it's pretty easy stuff.

Does this work with stages that already have their own shadow system? I'm editing some Pokemon Stadium transformations. Each transformation has its own shadow system within the mdl0 file. In Pokemon Stadium, the stage transformations rise up from the floor and "grow" to their correct height. When the stage transforms back to its original form, the model "shrinks" back into the floor. You can add additional models to that transformation's modeldata, but they'll just disappear instead of shrinking back into the ground, which looks bad. Is there any way to modify the stage's existing shadow system so this doesn't occur?

Also, I have very little experience with 3DS max, so how exactly do you "use the material and shader" on a model? (Sorry if this question seems overly simple, I'm new to the world of 3D modeling)

Oh, this is what the stage looks like

and this is what the current shadow system looks like
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:56:48 PM by Sandfall » Logged

Syvkal
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #558 on: June 19, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »

Well thanks to Gravity I have an almost finished product:

There will also be clouds passing just above and just below the stage like in the vBrawl Summit (one going from left to right and the other from right to left). Should make for a interesting stage Azn

:edit:

Nevermind, fixed the ledge problems! =]
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:06:02 PM by Syvkal » Logged

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #559 on: June 19, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »

Is there any way to modify the stage's existing shadow system so this doesn't occur?

Wait, what? I think you're misunderstanding what the shadow system is or something, or I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for. If a stage already has shadows implemented (as in, something that comes from Brawl), you don't need to do anything, it will already have shadows. They have nothing to do with models appearing and disappearing or anything.

Yaaaaaay, I'm glad it turned out alright. I was a bit worried, that's the first time I've ever messed with draw priority and I wasn't sure it was going to work out.

Sandfall
    Advanced Kitten

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #560 on: June 19, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »

Wait, what? I think you're misunderstanding what the shadow system is or something, or I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for. If a stage already has shadows implemented (as in, something that comes from Brawl), you don't need to do anything, it will already have shadows. They have nothing to do with models appearing and disappearing or anything.

The problem is that the stage's shadows don't match up with some of the vertex edits I did. The shadows still show up as if there was a giant rock in the middle of the stage (it basically shows shadows floating in midair) The second screenshot I posted shows the current, now inaccurate shadow system. Is there any way to edit the existing shadow system to properly match up with the current version of the stage?

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #561 on: June 19, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »

<.>

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #562 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »

The problem is that the stage's shadows don't match up with some of the vertex edits I did. The shadows still show up as if there was a giant rock in the middle of the stage (it basically shows shadows floating in midair) The second screenshot I posted shows the current, now inaccurate shadow system. Is there any way to edit the existing shadow system to properly match up with the current version of the stage?

Ohhhhhhhhh ok, gotcha, the shadows are their own object, you'll need to vertex edit the shadow object as well to match up to your ground and delete whatever else may be floating in the air if there were platforms you removed or something.

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

« Reply #563 on: June 19, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »

Yeah man, I believe you could just vertex the shadow as well like you did with the ground

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

Sandfall
    Advanced Kitten

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #564 on: June 19, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »

Ohhhhhhhhh ok, gotcha, the shadows are their own object, you'll need to vertex edit the shadow object as well to match up to your ground and delete whatever else may be floating in the air if there were platforms you removed or something.

Is there any way to do that effectively in Brawlbox? I haven't seen any tutorials on it, so the way I've been doing it is simply highlighting and dragging the vertices. This worked well for the ground since you don't have to be too accurate when you're editing dirt. The shadows however look super sloppy using that method though. Do you happen to know a better way to do that within brawlbox? Or will I have to learn to do it in 3DS max? (Sorry for asking so many questions Tongue

DSX8
    Stage/Character Importer
    Never Gonna Give You Up

meow~

• Awards Good Citizen >9000 King for a Day Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #565 on: June 19, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »

Is there any way to do that effectively in Brawlbox? I haven't seen any tutorials on it, so the way I've been doing it is simply highlighting and dragging the vertices. This worked well for the ground since you don't have to be too accurate when you're editing dirt. The shadows however look super sloppy using that method though. Do you happen to know a better way to do that within brawlbox? Or will I have to learn to do it in 3DS max? (Sorry for asking so many questions Tongue
    yeah pretty much either in BB or 3ds max.. i mostly use 3ds max cause its much easier to use.. and sometimes with BB it gets corrupted if i do it too much.

Follow me on facebook and Twitter!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSLYRX8              https://twitter.com/Demonslayerx8

3DS Friend Code: 0705-6436-8834              NNID: Demonslayerx8              PSN: Demonslayerx8

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #566 on: June 19, 2014, 06:15:22 PM »

The shadows should match the topology of whatever it is you're standing on. If the dirt is sloppy then the shadows will look sloppy.

Sandfall
    Advanced Kitten

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #567 on: June 19, 2014, 06:31:22 PM »

The shadows should match the topology of whatever it is you're standing on. If the dirt is sloppy then the shadows will look sloppy.

Unless I can give the stage a new shadow system, I don't think that's avoidable at this point.
    The original system has holes in it and, from playing around with it, it looks like it doesn't have enough vertices to properly cover the stage :/

yeah pretty much either in BB or 3ds max.. i mostly use 3ds max cause its much easier to use.. and sometimes with BB it gets corrupted if i do it too much.

Is there a way to manually define x, y,  and z coordinates for vertices in Brawlbox?

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

« Reply #568 on: June 19, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »

Unless I can give the stage a new shadow system

You can. I linked you to a tutorial that tells you how to do so. Any further questions should be directed to a help topic, this is a showcase thread.

Syvkal
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #569 on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

So... for some reason I'm having trouble with the clouds...
    If I leave them on the original paths (controlled by the .rel) they have a more erratic frequency of appearing - which I'm not sure I like.

However, when I try to import them as a new model (no matter what I label the bones) they just sit at one side and refuse to move =/

I'll keep trying, but otherwise I'll have to stick with the erratic cloud spawns (there's a period where they don't spawn, because normally the Summit would have crashed into the water)

Anyway, here's what the clouds look like at the moment, as they move across the stage:

Think that's a good height? I based it off Smashville, not sure if it's a bit low though >.<

Pages:  1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 60
    Print
    Jump to: