Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Ban Mediafire-Use Dropbox  (Read 8452 times)
PG Tips
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:23 AM »

It's awful seeing all these good hacks being broken due to the Mediafire mods deleting everything. A lot of hacks are reported simply because "Mediafire account locked" or "Invalid/deleted file". Mediafire used to be good, but the admins have gone crazy and are deleting legitimate files like Brawl textures.

I say we use Dropbox. Dropbox does not ever remove your files, and it is easier to download. The downside of Dropbox is you have to register to upload, but surely if you have the time to make a Brawl hack you have the time to register for Dropbox.

SiLeNtDo0m
Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »

Mediafire shouldn't be "banned" or disallowed as a site for people to host downloads here because there's still a huge number of mods that haven't been targetted and their Mediafire links still work fine. 

Though I do agree that the premotion and general recommendation of Dropbox (heck or even somewhere like Box.net) instead of Mediafire is a good idea.

SonicBrawler
    Magical Girl
    Overlord Kitten

Bae

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Active Contributor Heart Container

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:33:23 AM »

im not sure if others get this problem with dropbox, but it doesnt allow me to download. it just times out.

Quotes:
    Not all people have the luxury of being able to buy things whenever they want.

Some people are barely scraping by in the economy.
    Modding has made you guys so spoiled.

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »

I say we could go with MultiUpload for the future.

I mean, you get six different mirrors, so...

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »

lol, a dutch page.
    seems interesting though

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »

You guys use whichever you want, but there is no way the recommended one will be one seldom people use. So, at the moment, the recommended one well be between:

mega.co.nz
    Dropbox
    Box.net
    Skydrive

As these are stable and the most known. I'm inclined to go for Dropbox.
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:32:59 AM by Albafika » Logged

Linkxp500
    Hyper Kitten

Momentai!

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »

You guys use whichever you want, but there is no way the recommended one will be one seldom people use. So, at the moment, the recommended one well be between:

mega.co.nz
    Dropbox
    Box.net
    Skydrive

Be prepared to upgrade to premium in Dropbox if you plan on hosting more than a few files.

Solidfiles and Mega.co.uk are the ones I favor, since they both allow 50 GB of free storage (and in the case of Soldfiles, each upload can have a max filesize of 100 MB, and they stay true to their slogan, "Hosting files, without the bull[censored]").

I'll be shocked if I ever saw another file-sharing site with such a bold stand on file moderation and distribution.

But geez, didn't I bring up the fact that Mediafire was pulling this stunt for a while now?  Was everyone really unaware such things going on?

Look at it this way... Mediafire is an American hosting site, if I recall correctly.  That means it's afraid of the American government shutting it down like they did to Megaupload.

Mediafire is also making a business of this, so if they see file they even suspect a file violates their already-iffy terms of service, they take it down, or if they don't get many hits on an upload files page, they take it down, since it costs more to host a file that has only a few hits than it does to find a file that is widely distributed with more hits, which means higher likelihood to click ads.

Of course, higher exposure leads to higher risk, which ties back to suspected copyright infringement.  In addition, higher bandwidth is used when more people migrate from one site to another.  Everyone was all about Megaupload, it got shut down, so Mediafire is going to be paranoid when it's the next most popular file-sharing site.

If people didn't try the things EVERYONE tries, then it'd be less likely that Mediafire would have ants in the pants about all this copyright crap which they cannot prove one way or another without downloading files to confirm, which, if they suspect it to be copyrighted, would probably not want to be charged with piracy for even possessing it on their hard drive if even to make sure they're being fair for users.  Plus, there are far too many uploads to even begin to try it with the risk.

Remember, Mediafire is a business.  If a knife is held at their throat, you bet they are going to comply to keep their jobs.

So yeah... Moral of the story is, you shoulda listened, always have backups, always consider the optional hosting of files on site where they are least likely to be [censored]ed with...

Oh, and did I mention Mediafire is a business? Yeah, remember that...
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:19:08 AM by Linkxp500 » Logged

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »

Mediafire has been nice to most of us, but it's ridiculous what it's done to other modders.

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Linkxp500
    Hyper Kitten

Momentai!

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »

Mediafire has been nice to most of us, but it's ridiculous what it's done to other modders.

The modders whose files have less exposure... and are not maintained... Yeah, hacks are gonna be lost when no one downloads them.

PG Tips
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

I don't mean specifically dropbox, but any file-sharing site that respects your freedoms and doesn't delete your uploads without warning.

If people are going to use MediaFire I think they should be told to put a mirror on another site too incase MediaFire deletes it.

JOEYSX5
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Texture Artist Heart Container Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »

Sendspace.com works well.
    Mediafire deleted my bikini texture for ZSS.

Banning Mediafire would be the stupidest idea ever, that being said. Why? Because almost everyone on here uses Mediafire, and banning it would take down most of the hacks on the vault. It would be the same situation as when Megaupload got taken down.
    « Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:04:24 AM by ▂▃▄Big Boss▄▃▂ » Logged

libertyernie
    Lol Kitten

Go for the gold

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 King for a Day RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »

Doesn't Dropbox take down files if they use too much bandwith?

Linkxp500
    Hyper Kitten

Momentai!

• Awards Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »

Doesn't Dropbox take down files if they use too much bandwith?

Possible, but I haven't witnessed it.

Sirkura
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Featured Star Hacker Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 04:44:52 AM »

mega.co.nz
    Dropbox
    Box.net
    Skydrive

i don't particularly trust mega.co.nz :x had the site try several times to download a file over 50 MB for something that was supposed to be a texture >.> kept bringing up a warning in firefox, tho drop box and skydive are good.

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 07:34:32 AM »

It would be premature to blacklist mediafire even with their recent decisions. What I don't understand is why some modders like myself haven't been affected much.

Maybe it's because I keep my mods in private folders of the account meaning no one outside of those who get the link from Brawlvault or where I link it can see it.

I still backed everything up on Dropbox.

Still a recommendation like the one to use imgur over imageshack due to imageshack hating other regions back then is what I'd recommend. Just keep an eye on this and hope it doesn't get as bad as Rapidshare.
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:35:40 AM by Eternal Yoshi » Logged

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: