[Official] Project M discussion: RIP

Started by nanobuds, November 09, 2011, 10:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Remember Beyond's Zero? My horridly violent critique about it?

Do what I did, but better: Take the parts of the model most visible during gameplay and rotate them to extremes in Brawlbox. That will be the best way to find problems with the rig.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Quote from: _Data_Drain_ on October 16, 2013, 06:00:58 AM
And I guess I'll be the stick in the mud here...

But I feel the model is off.

Nano's avatar actually highlights a lot of the model's problems actually. Such as the rig being wonky. The rim effect doesn't mesh well with Brawl's visuals. The proportions seem strange... Like his tail being too big.

It also seems like some animations are a bit stiff. And need to use the hip bones more.


Believe it or not, the proportions of M2 are more or less that of Melee's for the sake of hitbox and collision preservation.

Also the animations are fine. If you feel that they are stiff, then I challenge you to do better.

Quote from: Alm5252 on October 16, 2013, 02:24:52 PM
I don't like the rim lighting either. I'll probably just use the pack that I had made a long time ago with StarWaffle's model.

However, our Mewtwo has a custom boneset meaning it's our model or bust...... until the next release is out and someone ports Waffle's model.

Quote from: Velen on October 16, 2013, 02:43:29 PM
Remember Beyond's Zero? My horridly violent critique about it?

Do what I did, but better: Take the parts of the model most visible during gameplay and rotate them to extremes in Brawlbox. That will be the best way to find problems with the rig.

Bending them to the extreme isn't the way to test a rig.

Bend them how they would bend naturally in animations. Trust me, this model has been looked at by many people. The rig is near flawless.

October 16, 2013, 04:02:59 PM #663 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:05:56 PM by Albafika
Quote from: Nanobuds on October 16, 2013, 03:43:06 PM
Quote from: Velen on October 16, 2013, 02:43:29 PM
Remember Beyond's Zero? My horridly violent critique about it?

Do what I did, but better: Take the parts of the model most visible during gameplay and rotate them to extremes in Brawlbox. That will be the best way to find problems with the rig.
Bending them to the extreme isn't the way to test a rig.

Bend them how they would bend naturally in animations.
This. Bending them to the extreme is crazy talk. Doing so, you might make it look good on a certain pose, but [censored] it up on some Brawl animations. There is no such thing as a perfect rig.
Quote from: Eternal Yoshi on October 16, 2013, 03:24:19 PM
Believe it or not, the proportions of M2 are more or less that of Melee's for the sake of hitbox and collision preservation.

Also the animations are fine. If you feel that they are stiff, then I challenge you to do better.

However, our Mewtwo has a custom boneset meaning it's our model or bust...... until the next release is out and someone ports Waffle's model.
So, in order to give a critique, one must be the most skilled at the topic? That's like telling the audience to animate the movie themselves if they didn't like a 360 waist spin in a scene.

I'm not saying his critique is right or wrong, but I sure know your response isn't proper.

October 16, 2013, 05:21:43 PM #664 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:29:31 PM by Eternal Yoshi
Quote from: Albafika on October 16, 2013, 04:02:59 PM
Bending them to the extreme isn't the way to test a rig.

Bend them how they would bend naturally in animations.
This. Bending them to the extreme is crazy talk. Doing so, you might make it look good on a certain pose, but [censored] it up on some Brawl animations. There is no such thing as a perfect rig.So, in order to give a critique, one must be the most skilled at the topic? That's like telling the audience to animate the movie themselves if they didn't like a 360 waist spin in a scene.

I'm not saying his critique is right or wrong, but I sure know your response isn't proper.

His criticism isn't specific enough to be what I would call constructive..... or helpful.
I probably should've ignored him or asked him to be more specific..

I dunno, I think the rim lighting adds a little bit to the actual model, I just wish we saw it on other characters that it'd make sense like say Kirby or JigglyPuff.

October 16, 2013, 07:18:15 PM #666 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:19:40 PM by Eternal Yoshi
TBH I'm kinda iffy on the rim lighting myself since it's a Mewtwo exclusive, but in the end, I feel that the Mewtwo devs made the right choice, especially since it distinguishes itself from the older Mewtwo PSAs made here.

Quote from: Albafika on October 16, 2013, 04:02:59 PM

This. Bending them to the extreme is crazy talk. Doing so, you might make it look good on a certain pose, but [censored] it up on some Brawl animations.

Yes sir. If you test the rig, the tail will look bad when bending. However, Halo animated it I'm a way that it bends nice and smoothly. If I rigged it to look "better", it would screw up the animations.

I feel like some people here are perfectionists.

As Wolfric said, you can't have a 100% perfect rig.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


October 16, 2013, 07:42:40 PM #669 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:50:13 PM by LC-DDM
Quote from: Segtendo on October 16, 2013, 07:20:48 PM
I feel like some people here are perfectionists.

Lemme just say a little thing here... people are perfectionists because they expect Project M to be the essence of perfection. That's not to say it won't be improved upon, given it's still in the demo stages... but you'd think it'd come out a little more polished since "perfection" is what supposedly drives the engine of the backroom.

Of course, "perfection" is in the eye of the beholder.

Post Merge: October 16, 2013, 07:50:12 PM

Quote from: Segtendo on October 14, 2013, 01:21:42 AM
>game isn't out until 2014
>people are complaining about it

Guys. To those complaining, go ahead. Make your own Smash. It's getting annoying that people are criticizing Smash 4 way before it's even set to be released.

Not to mention it's completely fair to compare an ongoing mod that releases a relatively constant stream of demos as they progress to an officialized development group with much stricter rules than that of the modders.


Quote from: DrPanda on May 16, 2014, 02:14:09 AM
Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

i didnt even notice the rim lighting, is it that big of a difference?

as for the rig, it looks fine to me.
Quotes:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


October 16, 2013, 10:46:54 PM #672 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:48:01 PM by Nanobuds
Quote from: Trainer SonicBrawler on October 16, 2013, 09:25:51 PM
i didnt even notice the rim lighting, is it that big of a difference?

as for the rig, it looks fine to me.
The rim lighting is much dimmer than M2K's usual rim lighting.

Also the blue glow around him during his hover attacks uses rim lighting to work.

October 16, 2013, 10:50:21 PM #673 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:25:57 PM by ShadowWolf
Quote from: Nanobuds on October 16, 2013, 10:46:54 PM
The rim lighting is much dimmer than M2K's usual rim lighting.

Also the blue glow around him during his hover attacks uses rim lighting to work.
That model is amazing. There's just something I really like about it and I don't know why.. Anyways, Mewtwo is definitely a top notch character for the roster

Quote from: LC-DDM on October 16, 2013, 07:42:40 PM
Lemme just say a little thing here... people are perfectionists because they expect Project M to be the essence of perfection. That's not to say it won't be improved upon, given it's still in the demo stages... but you'd think it'd come out a little more polished since "perfection" is what supposedly drives the engine of the backroom.

Of course, "perfection" is in the eye of the beholder.
I think there's a limit you can expect, especially from a community based project. What I see right now looks very nice and I'm satisfied with it myself.