Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 ... 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 ... 212
Author Topic: Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates  (Read 993331 times)
Large Leader
I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
Angel Kitten

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Renowned Hacker Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2970 on: April 09, 2015, 07:02:53 AM »

I meant if the owner and/or team member posts a progress update or suggestions to improve it. Makes more sense to me than to create a new thread.

Do you know what it means when a thread has been dead?
    That means no posts at all.
    Zero, zilch, nada.

If a topic still has regular posts in it, it's fine.

If a topic doesn't have posts for X amount of time, then it's considered dead. At which point, KJP is arguing it shouldn't be allowed to be revived at all.

Considering how fickle some people can be when supporting something, most people call it dead when there's no posts for about a month. Having the necropost rule at 6 months is MORE than enough time for the owner to come back to post an update or have them lock up the thread.

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2971 on: April 09, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »

Uh, no. Even projects that are ongoing and not stopping take multiple months before an update. Even the Project M dev team has taken like 6 months to a year to update; Version 3.5 is quite popular, and 3.0 came out like half a year before it, and they're coming out with the new one soon.

So if projects that are active take that long for people to update the threads at all(Sometimes, people just don't log on that often, and that's why), how much longer do you think a thread that has delayed progress would take? Imagine, for example, if someone said "Working on making this advanced 3d model..." now normally, they might say every month or so a little progress, but sometimes they wait until they're finished with it before updating.

The necroposting rules are the way they are for a reason, because the admins/staff thought before making the rules. Have you even been on any project teams, that you know how long it takes to update something? I've been on 2 Brawl projects, let alone that I've also started multiples of my own Brawl projects and a bunch of other projects.

Bottom line: The rules are the rules for a reason, not so they can be changed just because you don't like someone taking a while to update a project. I have no problem with someone being qualified as necroposting if it's something other than that(Like if they ask for help or say "What a great project" it should be in a help thread, or not posted), but sometimes it can take a while to update something. (For example, I got several requests months ago, but I haven't notified of any updates because I like to complete stuff before I update; if they were topics I woulda done the same thing, but they were PM's, so I can't show you that I took that long to post; but, if you look at the texture requests board and find one of the ones from last year that I responded to, you'll notice that it took at least a couple months or so to do that, and for one texture! If a texture takes that long, how much longer do you think a full project being updated could take?)

Post Merge: April 09, 2015, 07:51:17 AM
    P.S. It's called "We project teams have schoolwork and/or work, and can't spend enough time on it to update it that quickly, but will update it." Wanna ask any other person on a dev team, be my guest; I'm sure they'll say the same thing.
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:51:17 AM by windhunter7 » Logged

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Renowned Hacker Active Contributor Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2972 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:04 AM »

You aren't listening.
    Please, read what I wrote.

If you're too lazy to do that, I'm going to paraphrase what I wrote:

"If the OP posts again after a long time with a status update, that's fine.
    But if someone unrelated to the op posts after a period of 6 months or more, that should be considered necroposting"

If the OP is working on "making this advanced 3d model" and they take 6 months without a single update, then either they're lying or not dedicated.

"B-b-b-b-but look at PM! They take forever to update!"

Which isn't the case. The most recent drought on the PM thread was 3 months. And you know who posted? The OP, aka Nano.

Now if PM went of the radar and no one posted on that thread for two years, and suddenly someone random posted on the thread, that's a problem. And that's what we're talking about.

Many other forums have this rule in place that after a set amount of time, the thread is automatically locked. No questions asked. KCMM is much more lenient and people shouldn't be taking advantage of that. Even if it's just some newbie.

And yes, I am on partially on a Dev team. I help out Project M Unbound when I have free time, so I know what it's like with these long drawn out updates.

I also know what it's like to have my own thread and not post anything for about a month.

If you don't have the time to put up a single line saying "hey, I'm still busy" or "I'm working on something cool" then you obviously don't have time to be hacking or modding to begin with.

In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #2973 on: April 09, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »

You aren't listening.
    Please, read what I wrote.

I did read what you wrote.

If you're too lazy to do that, I'm going to paraphrase what I wrote:

"If the OP posts again after a long time with a status update, that's fine.
    But if someone unrelated to the op posts after a period of 6 months or more, that should be considered necroposting"

Nope. This is what you actually said:

Yes, if the OP posts something relevant like an update or something, then it's fine.

But when a 1 post member posts on a help or request topic saying "I also have this problem"/"I agree X character should be made" when the thread has been buried for about 3 years, then it becomes an issue.

Many other forums have this rule in place that after a set amount of time, the thread is automatically locked. No questions asked. KCMM is much more lenient and people shouldn't be taking advantage of that. Even if it's just some newbie.

And kc-mm is correct to do that. Other forums are just plain mean, a lot of them.

The rest of your post...

Kind of agrees with what I said, so I don't know why you're arguing...

Post Merge: April 09, 2015, 08:33:39 AM
    P.S. What do you think would happen if a thread like this one got "necroposting" rules of that long? The admins don't post here occasionally, nor do the staff, unless someone has a suggestion or anything like that. Likewise, this thread is similar to a project thread, or off-topic thread, where it might be necessary to take a while to post.(For example, if someone posts that he's going to the Bahamas for 7 months, and will work on a project, but won't have internet, he won't be able to post.
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:33:39 AM by windhunter7 » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

« Reply #2974 on: April 09, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »

Project M can't be your argument. At all. In those 6 months of silence we actually got stuff done. Projects here like Smash 4 are dead because nothing has been done in months, and nothing is getting done. Deal with it. Until Junior or whatever his name shows up, or someone else steps up as leader, it's a dead project.

And there are people who post stupid things to revive a thread. If you want to revive a project thread, do so with content for the project, a pointless, circlejerk of discussion of where Junior has been.
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:48:02 AM by Nαnobuds » Logged

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #2975 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »

Yes, we already agreed on discontinuing Project Super Smash 4.

And there are people who post stupid things to revive a thread. If you want to revive a project thread, do so with content for the project, a pointless, circlejerk of discussion of where Junior has been.

Not quite sure what you mean by this entire statement, but the part of "If you want to revive a project thread, do so with content for the project" is what I've been saying the whole time. I'm completely against posting stupid things to revive a thread. In fact, recently, my own thread had someone say "Sonic Series" when I have that as an option in the poll already(It's a poll topic in which I stated to only post games that aren't in the list, for ideas on what are fan favorites), and I was rather annoyed that he did that, as it was pointless. Even though it was only a few months newer. For all I know, he may have just wanted to bump the thread or something; but in any case, I did not like it, not one bit!

Nezha B. Rose
    Guardian of Pokemon Mods
    Special Access

I got a bucket of chicken.

• Awards Smash 3 Team RAGE!! Active Contributor Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2976 on: April 09, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »

What KJP said is correct.

What you are saying is incorrect, because when one random preson post on a long dead thread something BLOODY USELESS, everyone else who has ever comented on said thread will know and recieve notifications, worst if its by email.

Thats why necroposting is active. A project is Dead, and only the OP or someone that the OP specifically put in charge can revive it.

I had to close my own project because people kept necroposting and getting in trouble for it.

I suggest for project threads to autolock, and only the OP of said thread can remove the lock easily for an update.

Thats it.

Now, don't use English against me, don't nitpick this post, nada, got it? Please don't make 2 more pages of yet another argument.

(Im not a forum mod, but even I find it hugely annoying)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:56:12 PM by Scuot » Logged

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

« Reply #2977 on: April 09, 2015, 07:18:57 PM »

I don't really get what is so annoying in the necroposting thing. I mean, sure, it's probably not relevant if it's got so much time without a reply. But if someone revived it, it's because probably they had the same doubt (if it's a help thread) or had the same request or could take it (if it's a request thread). I really don't see how it is "ridiculous" as KJP brought it up. It's not really hurting anybody in any way.

Most of you are not even getting the main point of this discussion because for some reason hacking projects were brought up.

While I can understand the reasoning behind exempting certain threads from the Necoposting rules, can we remove that exemption for threads that are older than say 6 months or so (or Hell, stretch it to a year if you want to be more forgiving)?

Because it's pretty ridiculous to see people just bumping year+ old threads because they can.

All KJP suggested was that any thread should have a 6-month wait and past that every post that isn't the OP's is a necropost regardless of what board is in.

I disagree because I don't see how a random new post in Help/Requests/Tutorial/ForumGames can annoy someone.

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2978 on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »

mind if i join in, and give some more specific board suggestions?

requests: necroposting SHOULD be allowed ALWAYS, because if it isn't, it means you might end up with an infinite amount of threads dealing with the same requests, obviusly off-topic stuff should be treated like any spam post.

help: these threads should be locked as soon as the issue is solved, so while it's possible to necropost (problem not solved yet) it should be allowed to, because you may have the same issue as the OP.

forumGames: auto-lock, wouldn't it be annoying if some dude suddenly participated in every single "dead" forum game, and [censored]s up your notifications?

and tutorials... ugh these are tough, the reader should have the right to ask... but it's annoying as [censored] to get a notification about a tutorial you wrote ages ago..

but yeah, that's my opinion, take it or not Tongue

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #2979 on: April 16, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

Ikr? I've seen too many threads that are spam requests like that. Rather annoying.

I remember that when I first started out on this forum, and looked for any help threads that I knew the answer to, I was told that that was necroposting. I just wanted to help, and I would agree that that's reasonable. I mean, suppose a person is patient enough to wait for that long to get an answer, hoping someone knows, and then the person never finds out because the person who knows the answer can't post.

Agree about the forum games, too, as there's no logical reason to continue it when it's dead for so long.

I think that with tutorials, necroposting should be allowed, but only if the tutorial writer allows it. For example, some tutorial writers might want people to ask for specific help, and others may want to document all they know. It should really be up to the writer's descretion.

On that note, I think that a similar case should be the case with every topic, where the person who creates it has the option of disabling necroposts/not allowing them, whereas ordinarily they would be allowed.(Like, maybe a checkbox upon creation of threads where you select "Disable necroposts?" or something like that) That's my opinion.

Akeno/Archer
    Middle Class Devil, Counter Guardian, Son of Sparda and
    Special Access

"You will not forget this Devil's power!" -Vergil

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Super Saiyan Topic Favorite'd Heart Container

« Reply #2980 on: April 16, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »

My...

-snip
    PMs exist for a reason. If you have an answer to give but the thread is already too old, you send a PM to the person asking for help. Because digging through the Help Section to help someone is nice. But throwing these threads back to life is meaningless.
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:52:28 PM by Vergil Akeno » Logged

"Atone for my sins? I don't have any sins to atone for nor have I forced such a meaningless concept on anyone." -Archer
    Best color, most stars, and least amount of power. The good life.
    Learning sucks, yeah, but it's from learning that you can eventually create masterpieces.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #2981 on: May 25, 2015, 07:24:07 AM »

Would you guys please put up like giant text specifying what the "Off-Topic" board is for people creating new accounts or something? Because seeing advertisements for random companies that no one's heard of in "Music/SFX" is disorganized and driving me crazy.

On a similar note, are you guys accepting volunteers to move threads to the proper locations? Because I'd gladly do that, since many of the previous moderators, etc. left topics in the wrong boards, like, for example, at least like 15 "Help needed" topics in "Introductions". Including at least one introduction where the "introduction" was a flaming, and even reported for muting, but it was never put in the recycle bin.

Post Merge: May 25, 2015, 07:25:51 AM
    P.S. Sorry 'bout the ambiguous-ness; I meant that the companies have never been heard of, not the advertisements! Grin
    « Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:25:51 AM by windhunter7 » Logged

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2982 on: May 25, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »

Would you guys please put up like giant text specifying what the "Off-Topic" board is for people creating new accounts or something? Because seeing advertisements for random companies that no one's heard of in "Music/SFX" is disorganized and driving me crazy.
    Those are bots, Windhunter. If you see a bot thread, then report it.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #2983 on: May 25, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »

They're not always bots.(For example, Miacis, Vyse, and a bunch of the other admins might recall when someone who works for Image Shack made a topic, and everyone was doubting that he was legit, and he made a thread in a board that didn't make sense for it.[I believe it was in "Introductions"; if not, it was in one of the "Welcome" boards])

Also, the threads that are still existent in the wrong spots, e.g. people asking for help in "Introductions", aren't bots.

Post Merge: May 25, 2015, 09:47:47 AM
    Btw, anyone know how to "friend" other users on this forum? I have no clue how, and there are some people that I wanted to friend.

Post Merge: May 25, 2015, 08:59:50 PM
    Also, anyone know where I would post a topic on multiple suggestions for both the board and the vault? Would I put it in "General Hacking"? "Off-Topic"? A giant spoiler with a custom title in this thread?

*Please note that my suggestions are only going to be simple organizational suggestions that I am willing to help code.*
    « Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:59:50 PM by windhunter7 » Logged

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2984 on: May 28, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »

the thread name is board problems, SUGGESTIONS and updates, so i guess your suggestions should indeed go in this very thread.

Pages:  1 ... 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 ... 212
    Print
    Jump to: